Pebble Beach / Monterey / Santa Cruz / San Jose

Booked a trip for this spring to Pebble Beach. Playing golf for two days and have a third day for wine tastings.

Will stay at Pebble for three nights. Thinking I will stay closer to the airport on night four to five better access to wineries.

I love Mount Eden and am thinking of doing a tasting there. Any others in that area I should consider?

Restaurants in the Pebble area to try?

Didn’t see a dedicated thread for this area and any other information was stale. Assuming some of the places have sadly closed in the last 12-18 months.

Katy’s Place for breakfast/brunch in Carmel. I go every time I visit or pass through. I suggest the eggs benedict. Cash only though

1 Like

I enjoyed Pierce Ranch Vineyards in Monterey. Recommend allowing time to wander in Monterey and Carmel. If you like hiking, Jack’s peak park is nearby and has a wide variety of hiking options.

1 Like

Oh, one more thing - Passionfish, a seafood restaurant that you visit to get amazing red wines. Seriously, 2018 Gonon for $98. 2015 Clos Rougeard for $215. And so on…

3 Likes

Even Passionfish has jumped the shark. I think 2010 Rougeard there was $70, and that wasn’t cheap lol.

1 Like

Where are you playing? Pebble and Spyglass?

Windy Oaks has great Pinots, not sure how far out of the way that is, but I know they have a side tasting room in Carmel if you end up there for dinner one night.

Which airport you are flying in and out of? Ridge is also a good choice if San Jose.

1 Like

Joyce has a tasting room in Carmel Valley.

1 Like

Fly in Wednesday. Play Pebble short course that afternoon. Thursday at Pebble. Friday at Spanish Bay. Unfortunately we couldn’t get a tee time for our group of 8 at Spyglass. Staying at Inn at Spanish Bay.

I’m flying into San Jose. Haven’t booked return flight for Sunday because I’m trying to decide where to taste and then will book hotel and return flight for Saturday.

Mount Eden is number one on my list.

1 Like

You will love Inn at Spanish Bay. Second the recommendation for Katys Place.

1 Like

You wouldn’t happen to have family in S@lem would you? Play in a golf tournament every year in Bend with a guy from there with same last name.

Flying Fish Grill in Carmel is great.

1 Like

Thread drift but if you end up with spare time in Bend, hit me up!

1 Like

Love it there! Would love to retire there.

Play at Pronghorn in a two man invitational in late September. It’s a heck of a time!

1 Like

All places in Carmel which I think is far superior to Monterey for a lot of reasons…

La Bicyclette
The Pocket
Grasing’s
Cultura

post dinner bourbon at Sade’s (cash-only).

1 Like

It’s been several years so…. Grazings, Lucia (Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley) and Aubergine in l’Auberge. Cassonova was a favorite for lunch. Pacific’s Edge in the Park Hyatt Highlands was excellent but have heard otherwise. Like I said, it’s been a while.

1 Like

Changed the title because I need to figure out where to spend Saturday and where to fly out Sunday.

Mount Eden is weekday only so now looking for wine tastings on Saturday. Will be coming from Inn at Spanish Bay. Can fly out of San Jose or Monterey.

SC/SJ: Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyards, Ridge Monte Bello
Monterey/Carmel: Pierce Ranch, I Brand & Family

1 Like

My parents retired to Lebanon but I don’t think my Dad has golfed in years.

1 Like

Has anyone ever done a tasting Rhys? It seems everywhere I look says they don’t do tastings.

Yes and no. The general answer is that they don’t do tastings. There have been rare exceptions, when a visit was organized by a group of long time customers. Can never hurt to ask, but it’s not something I’ve heard about. Doesn’t help you for this trip, but they have now opened an Aeris tasting room in Healdsburg. Presumably they pour some Rhys as well, but I have not been there yet.

1 Like