German wine trip ... german/english

We are planning a wine trip to Germany maybe 3-4 years from now. When I went to France about 20 years ago, no one spoke english outside of Paris. I understand that english speaking has improved quite a bit since… Should I expect some degree of english proficiency for Germany’s wine areas or is it pretty much german only? I am learning german so just trying to gauge how fluent we would have to be to have an enjoyable trip.

Well, my livelihood is teaching German so my advice is always the more you know the better! That said, almost everyone in western Germany under the age of 80 will be able to understand at least a little English. People in hotels, restaurants, wineries will almost certainly speak it. Some of them will speak it remarkably well. The only German wine region where this might be less of the case is Saale-Unstrut, which is in the former East Germany. You’ll find fewer older (50+) speakers of English there, but that is not the main wine region to visit for most tourists. And even there you will still find plenty of people who can communicate in English.

Germany is not France. Even 20 years ago, the level of English was much higher than it was in France and has only increased since then.

2 Likes

Great response appreciate it!!

1 Like

I understand German decently (especially written) and know the common greetings but can’t really speak the language at all but have never had a problem while traveling in the country every year since 2012 (until the pandemic hit, unfortunately). In my experience people speak English quite widely in places like Ahr, Mosel, Pfalz, Rheingau, Mittelrhein etc and in the cities it is a given.

I did a few days in the Pfalz and Mosel areas in 2021. The only German I know was from the few phrases I picked up in my occasional dabbling in the Duolingo app. There was zero issue, as almost everyone spoke English. On a couple of occasions at a restaurant, the server or host did not speak it, and would then go get the person or people who did to interact with us. Plus, Google Translate on your phone will help smooth over any friction you may encounter.

My hubby works for a German company. Every time we are in Germany, hubby wants to speak German and German colleagues want to speak English. Almost everyone speaks English in Germany, so you shouldn’t have any issues.

It really is a bit of simplification to say almost everyone in Germany speaks English, though I agree the OP will have no problem with his trip. English knowledge is both generationally and geographically determined in Germany. As I said earlier in the thread, the situation really is different in the former East Germany (away from big cities and tourist places), but that is barely an issue with wine tourism. Assuming with a location of SC that your husband works in the industry and possibly the company I am thinking of, it is unlikely his work colleagues are septuagenarian East Germans!

In Italy we often settle on a compromise. They speak English and I speak Italian. Whilst not ideal for learning (listening and understanding is often harder than speaking, so more in need of practice), it does also make things easier as the conversation flows.

I go once a year to the Mosel. I speak zero german. Generally, for touristy places, you will have no problem finding english speakers. So if you are staying at large hotels and going to restaurants that cater to tourists, then no problems. Additionally, I’ve yet to encounter a winemaker (discussed on this board or otherwise), that isn’t comfortable speaking english. During my last trip, I spent some nights in smaller places that were more like hostels than hotels, and I did encounter people who didn’t speak english.

Alex

I’m doing a family trip to Spain and leaving from NYC before the rest of the crew. There are great flight options with a stopover in Frankfurt and I’ve never been.

Would you be able to recommend any restaurants/wineries in Mosel?

My wife and I were in Switzerland and the waiter in a restaurant walked up, looked at us and in perfect English said “I’ll get the German speaking waiter for you”. LOL.

I speak passable German and when I’m there I try to speak German as much as I can. However, if I’m in a city, or a somewhat touristy area, unless I am really trying to speak unaccented German, people will typically reply in English immediately. It’s very different from from France, where, in my experience, people seem to know less English and/or are less willing to speak English if they do know it.

I am no expert. Russell Faulkner is though and maybe he will chime in here. If you are thinking of michelin-quality dining, I’ve been to Schanz in Piesport, which I think is likely the best regarded restaurant in the region. I thought it was fine although the meal goes on for quite some time. The wine list is a lot of fun. You will not be so far from Ma Langue Sorit in Luxembourg - where I really enjoyed the food. The wine list is unfortunate.
Alex

2 Likes

All the above on germans speaking ok english is correct, as is the age and east/west differentiation.
But please try to stay inside the average NY cab driver 300 word standard vocabulary [thankyou.gif]

Hello, get the Mosel Fine Wines travel guide. I can email it to you.

Schanz just got a very mediocre review from Andy Hayler, though I’ve eaten well there but slowly as Alex says.

Belle Époque is Traaben Traabach is decent.

Schloss Berg is the best address problem but it’s not in the Mosel really. 3*.

Thank you, Russell. I managed to get my hands on the guide!

Cheers