Paris Spring/22: 15 nights, 4 different hotels. AM I CRAZY?

After multiple canceled trips to Paris and Burgundy the last two and a half years, we have booked Paris for an April/May trip. (Burgundy will be in September.) With a lot of extra time to research hotels it has been easy to come up with a target list meeting our criteria, but not so easy to narrow it down to a few, let alone one. So we have booked four; three that have been on my wish list and one new discovery.

Yes, we have stayed at self catering apartments a few times and at times that may be preferable. Usually we are just in Paris a few days, sometimes a week or so, on either end of a longer trip. This time only Paris, and we decided to splurge on some hotels that are new to us.

Anyone else enjoy experiencing different hotels in different neighborhoods with different views, etc. on the same trip?

PS We travel light so moving should not be a problem

If I’m in a city for a awhile, I usually do 3 nights and then move to get a different vibe. Sometimes a smaller one outside of the city proper to make exploring the region easier.

If you can swing it: St. James Paris, especially if you have AMEX Platinum or higher. Views aren’t great, but a very cool hotel and superb breakfast.

Not a hotel recommendation but…

check out Le Ferrandaise. Just outside the Luxemberg Gardens in the Latin Quarter. Very local, very romantic, very good, service is was incredibly friendly.

http://laferrandaise.com/

2 Likes

Hi Bruce
The closest I’ve got to this is on the Amalfi coast, ‘transferring’ from Ravello to Pogerola, about 2km as the crow flies, but maybe 20-25 mins by car.

Both were apartments, and moving did offer up some different walking routes on the wonderful paths.

Normally though, I try to persuade people away from unnecessary transfers, as the time spent packing suitcases, checking out, transferring, checking in, unpacking suitcases isn’t the sort of experience I value on holiday.

So the key question is ‘why?’

• are you looking to ‘embed’ in particular suburbs?
  • do you get bored of a hotel after 3-4 days?
  • do you like being able to walk to the places you want to see?

The answer(s), will help you work out why you’re considering this, and is it’s a good idea, a good idea that needs a little pragmatism, or actually not what you’re looking for at all.

On a personal level, I really don’t enjoy hotels, having spent too much time in them through work, including ~ 45-50 weeks of the year for 2-3 years in the same city. I will however look at them for very short stays of a day or two and/or a convenience on arrival. Apartments give me more rein to explore food shops, freedom to rise and eat when we want and also gets us mixing more in the community.

If the aim of your trip is to embed in different suburbs, consider something like 3-5 days in a central hotel, easing you over jet lag and into the culture / setting / rhythm of the city. From there go for a couple of short apartment rentals / aparthotel stays in the suburbs that most appeal. Once settled, you may relish the additional freedoms of an apartment, and the interactions that come with it.

We went to a wedding at the Beverly Hills Hotel but they would only give me 3 nights at the “bargain” rate. We stayed 5 more days at the SLS Beverly Hills and enjoyed the differences in location and style.

Assuming the moving around isn’t completely cost driven , like staying a hotel to use up a free night, my two cents:

Four hotels-crazy
Three or less - not crazy

My criteria is as follows:

1. Spacious
  2. Good location near restaurants that I plan on eating at. I like to walk to and from dinners.
  3. Near at least two intersecting Metro lines. With one change of trains, I should be able to get to most places in Paris.

Thanks for all the comments. It’s always fun to have a discussion about Paris! Although I wasn’t looking for hotel recommendations (my four hotels are already set), the St James Paris looks awesome. I know it’s easy to spend 500 euros+ for accommodations in Paris but my budget is @400 or less, especially while spending 15 nights. I’ll spend plenty on food!

I think J.Patrick said it best, “to get a different vibe”. I think that was my intention: a special/iconic view here, a room with a private terrace there, or in another neighborhood etc. Actually all of them this time are “gauche”. I’ve spent a fair amount of time on the right bank, especially the 3rd, but the 6th is my sweet spot! If I want a little more bohemian I go to the 5th. But as someone upthread stated, it’s so easy to get around by foot and metro I end up all over the city anyway.

I had to chuckle at Barry’s succinct answer:
“4 hotels, crazy”
“3 or less, not crazy”
No doubt, very sage advice!

So what were your hotels? We’ll be in Paris in September.