Washington DC restaurant recommendations

Will be staying in DC for a few days. Looking for places with good wine selection (obviously food is important as well). Staying near the National Mall area, but can Uber out if worthwhile. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Moving to the correct forum

Highly recommend Rasika. Wine list is ok but the food is amazing. Near the mall. https://www.rasikarestaurant.com/

It’s been a while but I assume Jaleo is still good. Also near the mall. Menus - Spanish Cuisine in Washington, DC - Jaleo by José Andrés

1 Like

I was playing with the DC map and noticed this in Chinatown. I’ve never been obviously but the wine list looked good and it’s not far from the mall. https://www.flightdc.com/

Two Amys has been great for a long time and still is. Great food, really fun wine list.

Obelisk has now reopened and I’ve loved every meal I’ve had there since the first one in 1994. They’ve always had a great and reasonably priced wine list.

We really enjoyed Queen’s English last year during the brief spell between alpha and delta. Mostly natural wine list. Very good cocktails. Inventive food.

I second Rasika.

1 Like

I’d pick Bombay Club over Rasika. Quality of the cuisine is equal and a much more elegant experience. Corkage allowed.

1 Like

Albi

1 Like

If you want to do Michelin you can do Sushi Taro, Pineapple and Pearls, Rose’s Luxury, I agree with the Rasika recommendation and also think Supra is quite good. It also depends kind of like what your favorite food is. People enjoy Filomena’s… Moon Rabbit is good on the Wharf. Mini Bar, Jaleo, Anju…

My favorite meal when we visited 2 yrs ago was Estadio.

Just ate at Apero in Georgetown last weekend. Beautiful little spot with a nice, heated patio if you want. Specialize in champagne and caviar, but food was solid a good wine list for a very small restaurant. Also a $20 corkage if you want to bring your own.

I wouldn’t but you certainly wouldn’t suffer going with Bombay Club. Both are outstanding (common ownership). I recommend Rasika every time this question gets asked, so if you search for that name, you’ll get the prior half dozen or so threads on the topic.

Tell us what you like to eat and we can help you zero in.

Have not eaten dinner out much since Covid but Obelisk and Corduroy were both good and Bresca was great for take out but the wine list seems a bit pricy.

I was in DC recently and had great combo wine + food experiences at Le Diplomate (very busy, hard to reserve in advance, but they gave a last-minute two-top on a Sunday night) (2017 Tremblay VV Vosne Romanee) and Cafe Milano (2012 Tremblay Echezeaux). Tremblay pretty well available in DC apparently!

I loved Kinship last time I went there, but that was pre-COVID so not sure if they have declined.

minibar remains one of our favorite dinners; great experience and food matched. Wine pairings were solid as well.

1 Like

Neal,

How well do they pair the wines with their tasting menus.

I have no idea! Not a big wine paring/tasting menu guy. We always bring a bottle of champagne with us. Very welcoming of BYO.

perfect. thanks

Just returned from a wonderful weekend in DC.
Friday night dinner at Annabelle - We ordered the same thing
Salad of Roasted Parsnips, Roasted Beets, and Blood Orange with Blue Cheese Mousse
Humanely Raised Veal "Blanquette à l’Ancienne"Red
2018 Pierre Gaillard CĂ´te-RĂ´tie

Saturday we walked around town for 5 miles
Lunch at Tatte Bakery and Cafe
Kimberly had the Prosciutto and Fig Paninni
I had the Meze Breakfast which was a cool combination of flavors

After a nap, we had dinner at Rasika with a 2012 Palmer Champagne
I don’t know anything about Indian food but I like to explore. We ordered the 6 course tasting menu which blew my mind. Such amazing flavors in each dish. Truly a spice masterpiece. We’ll be back.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

What’s also interesting is that Annabelle, Rasika and Bombay Club are all owned by the Knightsbridge group.

1 Like