Wine List at The Modern in NYC

We booked a table for 4 at The Modern (not the Bar Room) in early May. They have quite an extensive wine list, including a lot of reds with some age on them.

If anyone has recently dined there or reviewed their list, any jewels or stand-outs? The 4 of us want to focus on US, Spanish, or Italian reds. I’d love to order the Martha’s Vineyard, but the price is too steep.

We ate there in February 2020 and they had MacDonald (ordered without hesitation).

We were there in November. Ordered something from Piedmont from 1977 - blanking on exact details but I think it was Troglia (crazy bottle, see here Cappellano & Giacomo Conterno )… It was borderline between “old and funky” and actually gone bad. The somm agreed and we got something similar but slightly newer. Great service and fun to try something really different.

incredibly great dinner. service for our tasting was slightly behind. once our pours were finished while waiting on each plate, the somm was ready with a re-pour as the plates showed up. basically got 2 tastings for the price of one :wink:

Wine from the Canary Islands.
2000 Luis Pato, Quinta do Moinho
2014 Petit Figeac

I would ask the sommelier for suggestions from wines off the beaten path.

We were there a few months ago. I posted a thread on their wine list before going and got lots of helpful suggestions: https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3448307#p3448307

We had the NV Alexandre Filaine DMY, recommended by Sarah Kirschbaum, and it was the wine of the night for us. We also had the 2020 Keller Von der Fels, which was delicious, though a bit tight, and the 2017 Wasenhaus Spatburguner Bellen, which Sarah told me to have decanted ahead of time, but I forgot, and she was, of course, right.

2 Likes

Had our meal at the Modern on May 3. After talking to the Somm, we ordered a 2019 South African white, Cartology, from Alheit. It’s a Chenin Blanc blend. The red was a Beta 2013 Montecillo. The wines matched well with the food.

Sorry I just came across this thread. My friend Jonathan is a somm there, the kid knows his stuff!

https://www.instagram.com/jonathandrinkswine/?hl=en

Fun! Jonathan Eichholz on Instagram: "57% Semillon 43% Sauvignon Blanc, and 100% Delicious. 📸 @sommorris #bordeauxwines #whitebordeauxiscool #sommlife #sommelier #river #pétanque #pétanquepapi #wine #vin #whitewine #bordeaux #chair #vestday #vestdayisthebestday #semillon #sauvignonblanc"