Portland in September

Going to be in Portland for a 4 day weekend this September. I went through the old threads but a bunch of the restaurants and bars mentioned previously have permanently closed. Anything new and exciting in town worth my attention?

Plenty!

Anything you’re looking for?

I’d like to experience whatever you think is quintessential Portland cuisine as well as cocktail bars. I enjoy tasting menus here and there but they aren’t the type of dining I want every night. Probably only once on a four day trip if that.

Perfect!

Absolutely hit up:

Canard
Lazy Susan
Oma’s Hideaway
Phuket
St Jack
Brasa Haya
Urdaneta
Nostrana
Olympia Provisions
Normandie
OK Omens
Coquine
Jacqueline
Davenport
Arden
Republica

For wine bars, I’m very partial to Frank. But, I live right by them and they do an excellent job bringing in great champagne.

Unfortunately I can’t help too much on the cocktail side of things as I’m still newer to the city and a lot of places are recovering from the pandemic problems.

Hopefully some others will chime in, but that’s what I can come up with right now off the top of my head.

For cocktails, I’ve been very fond of Expatriate and Scotch Lodge, but haven’t been to either recently. The latter has the advantage of being within walking distance of Canard and Le Pigeon.

Great recs, gents! Keep 'em coming. Arden, St Jack, Le Pigeon, Normandie, Nostrana, Brasa Haya etc etc all right up my alley.

Maine or Oregon?

Maine: Fore Street!!! Incredible restaurant you have to hit if that is the Portland you are going to.
Portland: Southpark Seafood is where we ate the one night downtown (stayed around the corner). Very nice place and the clams with this buttery garlicy cream sauce was worth asking for more bread.

Adding on to Keith’s great list I would also recommend Mucca, Gallo Nero, and Le Pigeon. If you’re looking for wine bars, try Les Caves, Bar Diane, Bar Norman and Muse. Cocktail bars I can recommend are Teardrop Lounge (the first real high-end cocktail bar in PDX), Scotch Lodge, Bible Club, and the Driftwood Room.

Check out Q and Higgins. Both have long histories and give great experiences w solid wine lists. Go to cheap eats is Eem. Bar Viviant has the best bubbles list in the US. In my hood Bar West and GLove offer great small plates and cocktails (you could do both in the same night). And Muse wine bar is good too. Also, Feast Portland is Sept 16-18 if that aligns w your trip. Fantastic dinner experiences happen all over the city that weekend w chefs from all over the country.

I have to add a second recommendation for Coquine (if you are looking for a tasting menu) as recommended by Keith A k e r s. Ksandek (Somm and Chef Katy’s husband) pairs amazing (and to me) off the radar brilliant wines with the tasting menu and Chef Katy Millard is IMHO is brilliant. We are their once a month and enjoy it every single time - you can chose from the 4 or 7 course tasting menu. We had the 7 course menu one time, and now stick with the four course menu and bubbles to start.

While not a wine bar per se, if you find yourself in the Pearl district downtown, stop by FLOR wines on Glisan - they are always pouring four or five interesting wines as well (tonight they were pouring from a Magnum of Boyer-Martenot Mersault). The shop is owned by Sergio (former Somm at Little Bird) and Andy (current Somm at Canard and Le Pigeon). Super nice space with a couch some comfy chairs and a table for tasting notes.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks for all these recs. I’ll have my work cut out for me trying to pack in a 4 day weekend it seems!

I would also add Maurice, Berlu, and Toki. Have fun deciding where to dine. [cheers.gif]

Would add the recently opened Alouette, just ate there the other night and it was great. Everything else mentioned here are good options but I would seriously second Coquine and Davenport. Both Alouette and Coquine are small places tucked into neighborhoods - they give off good vibes.

Bar Vivant will be permanently closed by the end of August I think.