Anderson Valley (CA) Recommendations

Our small group is planning a trip to Anderson Valley, mostly focusing on wine tasting and dining, in that order, and am fishing for recommendations for both. I’m not sure where we will be staying (ranging from Cloverdale to Philo). One curious thing- I really want to visit Halcon, but cannot find much information on location for tasting (or even if they have tasting facility). While I can find a website, it is not yet operational. We would like to focus on Pinot Noirs and Rhone varietals. Sparklers and Chardonnays for next visit. I welcome your suggestions.
Cheers, Ari.

There are quite a few threads on this if you do a search. You might want to check “wine talk”, as well. This was a thread I started from before we visited the area a few years back.

Lots of great info and recommendations.
Halcon- Paul and Jackie recently sold Halcon. They didn’t have a tasting room, but did tastings by appt. There is a thread on this topic, as well, in “wine talk”. I’m not sure that the current owner has things going yet.

I’m sure others will chime in with recommendations for you. Anderson Valley is a wonderful place to visit!

Check with Dupuis, this is Wells Guthrie’s new label and it’s all deep end Anderson fruit including from his own Estate vineyard. Definitely worth a visit.

1 Like

Thank your for the response and info link. I did a “Anderson Valley” search, but didn’t see what I was looking for. Cheers!

You can start with this.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121758&p=1884369&hilit=“Anderson+valley+wineries”#p1884369

1 Like

It’s been a couple years but I’m sure not a lot has changed. Beautiful area, laid back atmosphere, just the way wine tasting should be. Here is just a list of our favorites and the town they are in.
Wineries

Foresight, Boonville
Bee Hunter, Boonville
Drew, Philo
Husch, Philo
Roederer, Philo (Bubbles)
Scharffenberger, Philo (Bubbles)
Phillips Hill, Philo
Navarro, Philo

Restaurants

Boonville Hotel, Boonville (Chef is one of the best)
Bewildered Pig, Philo. Have not been but have heard good reports
Wickson, Philo. Pizza and other apps and entrees.

Something else to do.

Anderson Valley Brewery, Boonville. Good array of craft brews. Nice friendly atmosphere
Hendy Woods State Park, Philo. Gorgeous towering Redwood forest

Have fun and report back.

Tom

2 Likes

If you’re up for a little day trip you might consider making the ~45 minute (windy) drive out to the coast. Go for a walk through Van Damme State Park or spend some time in Mendocino. Or, since dining is one stated purpose of the trip, drive down to Elk an eat at Harbor House. It’s really beautiful out there!

Stay and eat at Harbor House Inn on the coast. Spectacular.

Well, search no more. Lettie Teague, wine columnist for the Wall Street Journal, posted here first installment of a three part series on Anderson Valley, it’s wines, lodging and eateries. AV is not set up for crowds and I hope it stays that way, but my opinion and 5 bucks gets you a cappuccino.

Having just finished AV Pinot Fest last weekend in our now post covid world I have a few updates as to what going on these days.

I have heard over the years AV is like Napa 30 years ago and Sonoma 20 years ago, well… People been saying that for the 15 years I have lived year (having moved from Sonoma county) yet we have not gained any more businesses (a few new ones replacing old ones), or lodging, or housing, and are all still in unincorporated Mendocino county on wells and septic. Anderson Valley is a no growth in the last 20+ years place to visit. There are just no added beds to house guests, and none added with in an hours drive. All that to be said if you can book any lodging you will have a great time, either in valley or on the Mendo Coast.

Our weekend lodging her in AV and on the coast is near 100% occupancy every weekend but a couple in Dec/Jan since things reopened. Yet is’s never overcrowded here at all, instead I get the question all the time where are all the people and how do you stay in business, I reply we ship UPS/Fed ex to most nice states. Plenty of people talk about the 128, I grew up in the mountains it doesn’t bother me, take your time use the turnouts. Or would you rather be stuck on 101, River Road, Hwy 29, moving at a snails pace in stop and go traffic?

AV Pinot Fest has never sold more than 700 or so tickets, (though often less) tickets with now 60 something wineries. Compare that to the Beer fest or the now defunct old world music fest of 5,000-10,000 people. All those folks camp at the brewery, and fairgrounds in Boonville plus using our largest lodging partner, Hendy Woods State Park! What other AVA can claim a state park as their largest lodging partner? This year Healdsburg had a brand new wine event on the same day as our event for the last 25 years, making even harder to draw folks up here. 15 or so producers poured at both events all of them based in Sonapa, well see how long that goes as I am sure they had 5X the people for there inaugural event in Healdsburg. We had a lot of no shows who bought tickets.

Midweek is tough for tastings and dining, specifically Tue/Wed/Thur. There is still a shortage of available labor to get all the business back to pre covid hours of operations so make plans accordingly. Many tasting rooms with accommodate midweek appointments but you need to email and arrange ahead of time. Very few are free or refund with purchase(and those that are just raised pricing to include it in the bottle price) tasting rooms left so expect to pay a nominal fee. In my case its now $20 per (club free) for 5-7 wines, water, breadsticks and 1.5 hours to enjoy and chat with me if you want. In August that will include a bite of my HCWT tri-tip and smoked mushrooms. For berserkers we often open up a library or barrel taste or take a vineyard walk. Im closed in January and June.

I agree with Tom on most of what he said with a couple updates:
Bewildered Pig is only doing 10-12 dinners a year, one per month or so. I cant really call it a restaurant any more with that little dinner service sold out months in advance.
Company Kitchen in Philo is great Mexican with specials each night. Libby formerly of the local legend Libbys restaurant (same location next to lemons market) is back cooking and the carnitas are the best I have ever had hands down!
Boontberry in Boonville is a great little local natural foods store. It’s a funky spot but there black bean burrito, and togo salads and sandwich are great. He also has wine cheese and seasonal veg. If you call ahead you can get box lunches, charcuterie platters, cheese boards, etc. we also sell those as add ons to any appoint and can have here and ready for ya.
Laurens has changed locations to the old brewery building and is now hosting the farmers market on Friday nights. They just posted a ABC notice to have a micro distillery in the first floor where the brewery started.

Tasing room updates as of late:
Smith Sorry is no longer pouring in the Madrones, they moved to Healdsburg late last year.
Brashley took over the old Brutacao location and opened this spring.
Maggy Hawk took over the old Balo facility and opened this spring. There are now 7 KJ brands now making AVPN. I think the brand and wines are named after Barbara’s race hoses that run in the Kentucky Derby.
Weatherborne is a newish tasting room here ran by some great folks. They share a space with Boonville Road wines who does not make any AV wines but if you’r there anyways and have time give them a try.

I still tend to prefer the wines from here made by those here with just a couple exceptions. Although it’s getting harder and harder to find brands focusing on a majority AV and a majority PN, even tasting here you will be offered many varietals from many AVA’s that are not AV.

2 Likes