Recommendations for Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Hi, all - headed to the Chateauneuf-du-Pape area in July and would really appreciate any recommendations for tastings (including private tours), hotels, restaurants, etc. Much appreciated!

I haven’t been in years. But Beaucastel was a ton of fun.

Vieux Telegraphe.

L’Oustalet is a do not miss.

1 Like

Pegau has a little tasting room within the town. At least when we went the member of the family who was there spoke fluent Spanish, which was awesome since we speak no French!

They also see visitors with appointments at the winery. Fantastic tour with samples. If you need a base and plan to also visit Provence, I recommend Avignon as a base.

1 Like

Recommend you get familiar with the search function. There’s been a ton posted on the Southern Rhone including CdP and Gigondas, with restaurants, hiking, etc.

Pegau and Barroche are both great visits.

i keep saying the same place…yes…l’oustalet outside on a nice summer evening is perfection.

i stayed at hotel de tourrel in st remy de provence…unless you have to be in cdp, i highly recommend st remy as your base and hotel de tourrel as your hotel…absolutely flawless stay.

2 Likes

http://vergerdespapes.com/ is cute, fun, and decent food.
Amazing views too.

1 Like

We had wonderful visits at Charvin, Beaucastel, Pegau, and Mont Olivet. This was about 12 years ago or so. (Maybe more than that. Time is flying) At that time you could set up any visit you wanted with a phone call or email. Don’t know about now. Basing in Avignon will give you the easiest drives. You can easily negociate the area by car. That little place L’Oustalet in Gigondas looks really nice! Re: food. La Mere Germain is always a hit. La Table du Vignerons. If you don’t mind a little drive, La Table de Sorgues looks fantastic. It has been a few years but Beaugraviere in Mondragon is extremely nice. Enjoy. Some of the friendliest people in all of France.

2 Likes

Thank you, all, for the really great recs! We are using them to structure our visit. Much appreciated.

Hire a private guide. We used TripAdvisor to find one based on his good reviews. He drove, got us in four wineries- all private tastings. Picked a great lunch place. $300 for the day, everything, but lunch included.
D0B70B7F-A63A-4C2C-9BE5-8C66846C7D4A.jpeg

This is the guy we used. I don’t think he guides anymore. I understand he started a French centric wine club business, but maybe he can make a recommendation.
8EDBDF1F-C970-4D90-85D3-071D1D408D57.jpeg

2 Likes

I’ll second Beaucastel. First class tour and tasting. Beautiful surroundings and facilities. Lots of history. The deep cellar tour was fascinating.

1 Like

The food at Beaugravière is a bit of a miss.
But that wine list . . . there are few that are better.

I preferred staying in villenueve les Avignon for east in/out compared to Avignon.