Durand - okay to carry on? [Update from TSA]

I would like to take my Durand on travel, but don’t want to check in a bag just for that.

I saw on the TSA site that corkscrews are allowed if they don’t have a blade.

I would imagine Durand qualifies since just a worm and prongs.

Anyone have knowledge or experience with this?

TIA!

Tom

i recently traveled with a corkscrew without a blade and it was confiscated. i said it didn’t have a blade and the guy didn’t care. it was a cheap one, so not a real loss. but i wouldn’t risk a durand.

Should it be ok? Yes. Will it be? That’s a crap shoot and I wouldn’t risk it.

It’s a crapshoot. I wouldn’t. I’ve had a really simple, cheap corkscrew confiscated.

Thanks guys.

Decision made.

Will either check in or see if anyone local has one they can bring to the tasting.

Just seems odd to me, as the TSA regulation is clear (unless someone says the prongs are a blade, which is a very big stretch), but I guess agents have discretion.

Could be very dangerous in the right hands, The Chronicles Of Riddick - I’ll kill you with my tea cup.

Good question and one that I have been meaning to pose again recently. Although I’m fairly sure I brought it from DC to SF last year and I was fine.
But probably not worth the risk depending what you’re doing.

Yes, a Durand should be OK to carry on. I don’t think the agents have discretion. Most know and follow the rules. The others are either ignorant or just being jerks. I used to bring a printout of the relevant page(s) from the TSA website. I never needed it, as my corkscrews never were confiscated. Well, other than one I forgot about that did have a blade…my fault in that case. The TSA agent was VERY kind and apologetic. It was a cheap one, so no great loss.

Well, last two responses have me re-thinking.

As the lawyer in me, I’d like to do what Christopher has done, but if there is a non-zero chance they take the Durand, even with the TSA printout, I’ll likely still check it in or see if someone else can bring one.

Pack a box with postage back home that is big enough to hold the Durand. If TSA says no dice just put it in the box and mail it back home. I’ve done it before when I forgot about a pocket knife I carry.

1 Like

I always check my 'Durand and/or cork screw usually with wine that I am checking. I don’t want the hassle.

Figured I’d check with TSA, and if they said okay, print it out and show it at the gate if there are issues.

Here is the response I got:

TSA Officers have the discretion to prohibit any item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if they believe it poses a security threat. This discretion applies even if the item is not on the prohibited items list. The permitted and prohibited items lists are not intended to be all-inclusive. You may ask to speak to a supervisor at any time.

So, not worth the risk and will either check it in or just not bring it (if someone else local has one).

Fair response. Although I did like the idea of bringing a pre printed label and box. I might use this idea sometime in the future

If the agent wants to take it at the checkpoint, can you just turn around, walk back to the ticket desk and check your bag? You’d need to arrive at the airport a little earlier but otherwise not sure why this wouldn’t work.

1 Like