8 Hours in Burgundy on a Monday (LOL)

Hey all,

I will be in Basel for work (Art Basel) and will have one day off (Monday, June 13th). Dijon is 1.5hrs by train, gonna rent a car and see the slope and walk around Beaune a bit. I’m pumped, as most of my wine excitement is centered around burgundy, even though it’s brief and I won’t be able to set up any visits. That’s fine. I’d love to grab lunch somewhere but it seems most places open on a Monday are open strictly 12:15>13:30, and I would arrive in Dijon at 12. What do you think is feasible? Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

I think you could easily make a lunch at 1:30pm. I would suggest taking the train to Beaune. About 20 min from Dijon. Most of the great places to eat lunch are walking distance from the train station. Caves Madeleine is open for lunch on Monday. About 15 minute walk or 5 min Uber ride/Taxi. Table du Square right by train station. You have lots of options for 1:30pm. Make sure that the restaurant you want is open on Monday. Some are closed that day. I would suggest going EXACTLY at 1:30pm. I rented a car in Dijon and didn’t get away from there until almost 12. I drove through the vineyards and still made a 1:30pm lunch at Table du Square despite having to park the car etc. Walking will let you really enjoy the town. Beaune is beautiful right now.

Thanks Don,

I guess I wasn’t 100% clear my plan was to take a train to Dijon and rent a car at the train station when I arrive at noon. I was going to avoid the train transfer to Beaune because I want to drive through the vineyards, get out of the car for a second and walk around, but could do that after lunch and walking around Beaune too. Thanks for the restaurant recs!

In you plan, you could save time eating lunch in the CdN, like in Chambolle or NSG. But, if you have time to drive to Volnay, here is a good place for lunch. https://www.restaurant-lecelliervolnaysien.com/ If you eat in Beaune, set up a tasting/tour afterwards at Bouchard or Drouhin. If you go down to Volnay, visit here after lunch. Armand Heitz | The terroir without filter

Not that this is necessarily what you’re looking for, but Alsace is less than an hour drive from Basel. I did that for a weekend in 2018 when I had work in Basel. Just looking at Google Maps, Boxler is 40 minutes away. Dirler-Cadé and Trimbach are less than an hour.

I brought back 16 bottles. :slight_smile:

Also be aware, that train station car rental closes at noon many days. Some days it will stay open until 12:30 or 1p.