Flight Cancellation/Rebook: What Can I Expect?

Currently sitting in Delta’s “Rebooking” line (with wife in tow) at JFK, after having the JFK-SEA leg of a return trip from Milan cancelled. I’m being rebooked tomorrow, so will be grabbing a hotel and dinner in the city.

Any ideas on how Delta compensates for food/lodging? As always, thanks for the ideas… as I’m sure this crowd has been through this before.

Some credit cards should give you some amount of trip delay insurance. Delta has given vouchers before. I’ve also had them book me on a different carrier, so that may be an option.

Current plan of record is an airport hotel and 4 x $15 meal vouchers that can only be used at the airport… and expire tomorrow. Will wait until I get home to push for some credit against the ticket itself, as the cancellation was due to “no crew available.”

Had the same issues on a biz trip a few weeks ago. DL Plat on a paid Comfort+ fare, no crew available. Rebooked into same cabin with delayed arrival, asked agent for comp and received a $175 future travel credit.

Try flyertalk

1 Like

Go against your credit card.

Which airport hotel? Unless it’s the TWA hotel or the Hyatt at Resort World (at Aqueduct), see if you can book something reasonable yourself.

Then see what Delta will do in terms of trip credit. But do what’s most soothing now, even if you have to eat the cost.

Paris to Seattle direct flight became:

paris to LAX because Seattle cancelled
LAX to sea cancelled. Rebooked to Portland the next day.
Rented a car and drove to Seattle

Got ourselves a Marriott near the airport and Ubered to a Korean bbq spot in LA

Travel is exhausting enough. I don’t care about the $15 airport voucher. Would rather eat great kbbq :slight_smile:

Delta gave us $100 credit per person after the fact.

Sorry to hear. JFK flights were a mess this week. I was supposed to fly PHX-JFK with a 7 hour layover before JFK-MXP. Flight to JFK was cancelled early Thursday AM (along with essentially every other flight into the tristate area - 1.4k total flights canceled on Thursday nationwide)

AA rebooked me getting into JFK the next morning but my Emirates flight to Milan was gone by then and since I booked via miles, the only option Emirates gave me was to pay full fare in J ($15k for two) or keep waiting.

Ended up pulling the plug on entire Italy vacation 9 months in the making. Trying to get everything rescheduled for late summer

So sorry to hear it!

When you rebook, try to get there on one ticket. AA could get you to MXP, and if the first part was cancelled, then they would be obligated to get you the whole way.

Awful. Sorry to see this.

Ours was cancelled while we were in the air; knowing on Thursday probably would have made things worse as I’d be stewing on it for several days in advance with similar results. I’m guessing they’re getting a jump on their summer plans of cancelling <100 flights a day.

Thanks, we fly United 7/30 to 8/9. Might be some relief to flight cancellations with a new United pilot union contract United Airlines Flight Cancellations Could Decrease Due to a New Agreement - AllEars.Net.

My advice would be to try to get on any flight going that would get you closer to your destination than staying in the NYC area - even if you have to change airports - LGA, JFK, or EWR. NY traffic control in infamous for delays and cancellations.

Luckily we made it back from FCO to EWR and then the delays in EWR trying to get home.

Best of luck!

Since the flight originated in EU, and if connecting flight was on the same ticket, you should be due EU261 compensation, which for a 24ish hour delay should be 600 Euro per ticket. You didn’t ask about this, so maybe you are already aware.

Too late for this, but if you’re an elite (and maybe even if you’re not), you could book your own hotel and meals and submit the receipts to Delta for reimbursement.