Going To Walla Walla - Need Winery Recommendations

I’m spending three days is Walla Walla Washington and surrounding areas. I’ve tried a number of WA Syrah’s, Cabs and blends over the years, but would like some recommendations on standout wineries to visit. I’m assuming we’ll have to book a tasting in advance and since we’ll be there during July 4th I’ll probably have to jump on it soon.

Thank you in advance.

I’ll be brief because you can use the search function and find a lot on WW. It’s helpful to understand that there are four general areas to visit and it works best if you plan each day in a given area rather than trying to drive back and forth. The areas are:
-Downtown
-South of town (which includes some places across the state line in Oregon)
-West of town along highway 12
-The old airport NE of town
By surrounding area I don’t know if that means Yakima Valley or Red Mountain or not but for a three day trip you may want to focus just on Walla Walla.
My recommendations would include Rotie (the new tasting room in the Rocks district), Sleight of Hand, Va Piano which are all south of town (we are huge syrah fans). There are a ton of other really good ones of course. Have fun.

2 Likes

We visited Walla Walla in March. I was looking primarily for wines with age and ready or near ready to drink. I found and purchased wines at a range of price points from:

Abeja - red Beekeeper’s Blend, Merlot, CV Cabernet, Chardonnay
Doubleback - Cabernet, Merlot, in storage for a few years.
Figgins Estate - 2011-2016 vertical of the estate red wine
Force Majeur Epinette - 2014-2017 vertical of their red Bordeaux blend
Gramercy Cellars - 2014 Tempranillo, 2017 Syrah Lagniappe, 2018 Syrah Les Collines
Reynvaan - 2016 Syrah In the Rocks, 2010 Syrah The Contender, 2008 Syrah The Unnamed
Tranche - both the white and red Rhone blends

If downtown, proper wines is a good tasting to get some feel of rocks syrah. lately they have done a vertical of 3 vintages plus a “reserve” and a chard, the chard was not interesting and overpriced. Note I found one of the recent ones to be a bit VA laden. They are owned by Rotie which is right next to cayuse in milton freewater. An interesting tasting overall for the style.

1 Like

These are all good suggestions. Is K Vintners in Walla Walla?

K Vintners has a tasting room in downtown WW and they also have one out at a farmhouse on the outskirts of town that’s only open on weekends.

We spent a month there last year. Most memorable finds: Grosgrain, Devison, Rasa, Aluve’ and Devona. Rotie down in the rocks was another fun visit and if you are hungry Valdemar is a fun food and wine stop.