Pizza

I am trying to embrace the new thread for non-home cooked food. Ha. Should we separate the main thread into wine drunk at home and then wine drunk while traveling : )

Starting a thread for serious pizza places around the U.S. with a post on Razza.

Finally made it here and was I blown away as you will see below from IG post.

Note: $25 corkage, limit two bottles.

Based on one visit I am moving @razzanj into my top 5 pizza ranking.

The thinness of the crust whilst still maintaining perfect structure is magical.

And although I am a diehard traditionalist (Margherita all the way), the spring pie with fresh mozzarella, asparagus, spring pesto, garlic and parmigiano was profound💚

And paired with Stein Palmberg Kabinett Trocken🤯

The Wasenhausen Bellen paired wonderfully with the Funghi pie with fresh mozzarella, mixed mushrooms, onions and chives.

Damn, that pizza looks good, Robert! I have Dan’s book, it is helpful in perfecting pizza at home. He has such attention to detail. Looking forward to trying Razza when up in the area this summer.

The crust is so thin but not floppy!

2 Likes

not sure if you’ve met dan, but this is his calling card. his pizza has also evolved a lot over the years. his pizza book is superb as well - gets into the weeds on the technicals in a way that’s still accessible.

he is a proper student of pizza and always looking to improve. i’m a huge fan.

Never met him but we have a lot of mutual friends and I have watched a lot of his videos.

So good! Their sister restaurant, Arturo’s, in Maplewood is just a notch below and is BYO.

1 Like

Where is Razza?

Jersey City…It took 25 minutes from the East Village with a little traffic.

1 Like

Wow I never knew the two were related.

NORMA
2 locations-HK 53rd & 9th, Murray Hill 3rd Ave bet 30-31.
Sicilian menu with pizza. Not going to try to rank it but it’s great pizza.

thanks for the tip! will be in the area on Thursday dropping off my wife at ERW and then driving back to CO. I try and hit a couple of quality pizzas on these road trips.

1 Like

Thanks Brent. New to me, I look forward to checking it out.

Technically related. IIRC, Dan owned/ran both, but sold Arturo’s a few years ago.

We’ve eaten at Arturo’s twice within the past two months. It’s really excellent. Terrible stems though.

1 Like

Agree on stems. I always bring my own.

Robert,

Like most Neapolitan style it can get soggy in the middle. Wine list is good, majority Sicily, but not necessarily at your geek level. Stems are ok not great. Not sure about corkage. I can connect you with Salvatore the chef/owner if you like.

1 Like

i live near there and have never tried! thanks for this.

1 Like

First place that came to mind was Cotogna in SF. Great dough and really fresh seasonal ingredients.

Razza is high on my list to try. Thanks for the post.

I went pre-Covid, but B-side Pizza on 51st right off 9th Ave. was a memorable visit. Pies we’re absolutely delicious Neapolitan style with inventive toppings.

If anyone ever wants to venture into Westchester, The Parlor in Dobbs Ferry makes some of the best pizza in the area (and I’m counting NYC in this). The Bone Marrow & Vin Cotto pie is the stuff of dreams (or nightmares if you have high cholesterol).

1 Like

New York City’s 29 Iconic Pizzerias by Eater:

We want the Robert D list and will not accept substitutes.