Moving daughter to NYC, need dining recs

My wife and I are moving our daughter to NYC (Peter Cooper area) and I need help with restaurants in the area. Thanks!

Thatā€™s prime East Village area John. Way too many spots to just start rattling names. What kind of cuisine, price point, etc. are you looking for?

1 Like

Looks like you are about 2 blocks from Hearth. That would be my number one recommendation. Seasonal, well crafted Italian inspired dishes from chef Marco Canora. One of our favorites in that area.

2 Likes

This is my hood. The East Village combined with the Lower East Side is the best dining area in the city and most likely the United States. Particularly strong in Japanese. Also I find myself in Brooklyn quite frequently as you are closer to Williamsburg than mid-town.

Check the NY thread as there are a lot of options in there.

And give us a little more of what you are looking for and I will comment.

1 Like

I second the Hearth suggestion. Itā€™s not exciting. But itā€™s really good and Marco is a great dude.

1 Like

Looking for small neighborhood Italian, a steakhouse and fish place.
Lower priced for Italian, mid-high for steak fish.
Hopefully my daughter will figure it all out by the time we visit in the fall.:joy:

I would recommend IL Posto Accanto for the Italian spot for a more neighborhood, authentic type spot. They are also one of the rare spots open everyday for lunch.

Hearth which was mentioned above has an Italian bent mixed with a classic American Farm to table type vibe.

For a steak fish type place I have heard Bowery Meat is good but I have never been there and there is Strip House. I donā€™t go these types of restaurants so I would defer to others.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no shortage of Italian restaurants in this neighborhood. Iā€™ve read good things about Il Posto Accanto here but havenā€™t been by yet. You might also consider Il Buco or Il Buco Alimentari (more casual) both of which are solid though on the larger side. Iā€™ve been meaning to get back to Una Pizza Napoletana, which might be a good fit if youā€™re looking for a nicer sit-down pizza place. If you want to trek to Brooklyn, Al Di La is a good option.

Steakhouses in the area are a little more challenging - while there are certainly great steakhouses in New York, Iā€™m not sure they are a differentiator for the city at least in the conventional sense of an American steakhouse. That said, many restaurants that arenā€™t explicitly branded as steakhouses will serve you an excellent steak (such as a few of those below). If youā€™re up for tweaking your parameters a little bit, how about a Korean restaurant focused on steak (Cote, Her Name is Han, etc.)?

Folks here seem to like Cervos, which definitely has a fish-focus. Wildair, Contra or Estela would also bring you down to the Lower East Side and all have plenty of fish options on the menu. Alternately, you could go with Japanese here, for which there are tons of options.

Just a few thoughtsā€¦ Like Robert said, there are a wealth of great and diverse restaurants here across a staggering variety of cuisines.

1 Like

I was thinking the same. There are lots of places to get great meat and fish in the East Village, just not in the traditional Steakhouse way. For example the American Waygu at Wild Air is outstanding if you are looking for great meat.

https://www.wildair.nyc/menu-2

Iā€™ll also speak up for Il Posto Accanto. Really good, not great food at reasonable prices. The woman who I believe is owner / manager worked very hard to keep it open and viable through COVID. And they have an unusually good wine list, with a nice selection of well-aged bottles at fair prices. This is a very easy recommendation.

Dan Kravitz

3 Likes

After following Bea on Instagram Il Posto Accanto (@ilpostoaccanto) ā€¢ Instagram photos and videos throughout the pandemic, weā€™ve eaten at Il Posto Accanto 4xā€™s in the past 10 months. Keep in mind Iā€™m driving 60 minutes from the northern burbs. Itā€™s the type of place youā€™d walk right by if you didnā€™t know. She goes shopping everyday at Union Square market for fresh food. Different specials every day. Try the lasagna on Sunday. Trust me on this. While IPA isnā€™t a fancy place, itā€™s a very comfortable place to go for a meal. Plenty of locals eat and hang out there. In and outdoor seating. I sat opposite Padma Lakshmi on my first visit. I hear sheā€™s a regular.

As noted above, prices are reasonable. While itā€™s no Marea, itā€™s also much less costly. The pastas are to die for. As far as Iā€™m concerned, itā€™s one of the better meals for the price (QPR) in all of the 5 Boroughs of NYC.

2 Likes

Would love a couple or three suggestions for Japanese as my daughter is moving to the East side (34th ish) in July and having grown up in Tokyo she will want to find decent Japanese. Many thanks in advance.

34ish Eastside is not exactly the bastion of sushi/sashimi, but Sushi Ryusei and Wokuni have, imo, their foot at the doors of great Japanese fish places in the city.

1 Like

Where is the good sushi? I looked at the menus at both Ryusei and Wokuni and neither is a sushi place despite offering sushi as part of the menu. They absolutely look good but a sushi place would not sell tempura or kushiyaki (yakitori etc.). I am most of all interested in a proper sushi place.

Lavagna for Italian. Tell Yorgos I sent ya.
Robert knows the sushi scene much better but Takahachi has an east village location
There are a bunch of good to great restaurants on Park Ave S walking north from Union Square.
Oceans for seafood, 18th & Park

2 Likes

Cagen is my favorite sushi place in the city, on 9th east of 1st. And the higher end Tomita in the back is worth the premium if you desire a more unique experience with rarer sushi.

But Iā€™ve found Cagen to be max deliciousness , I think itā€™s the more exotic fish thatā€™s the price differentiator.

Thanks to RD for raising my consciousness on this place, which is a must go each time Iā€™m in NYC.

Sorry to see the university Place location of Laboritorio Il gelato closed. The one on Houston is still open, and there you also have Katzā€™s and Russ and Daughters.

I see thread drift has moved this to midtown east. I stay across from Bryant Park and sometimes do Sushi Ginza Onodera for lunch (right by my hotel ,5th ave across from the park; super high end but I prefer dinner at Cagen for same price). I havenā€™t been in several years but Sushi Yasuda is the OG of great sushi in NYC, at 43 off 3rd, and Iā€™m guessing itā€™s still strong.

1 Like

LOTS of amazing Sushi in the area.

As Barry said Cagen is outstanding, the front of the restaurant is a less expensive menu and smaller amount of food and the back is just 8 seats with owner Chef Tomito.

https://www.kajitsunyc.com

Omakase by Maaser is in the west village and one of my favorite spots for lunch. The two Chefs are Masa alums. It has to be one of the best deals in the city.

Yoshino - A very high end spot that just opened. I have not been yet but know the owner from Paris and he is about as obsessed with Sushi as anyone I know.

Kura - authentic, under-the-radar fantastic spot that is just a notch below Cagen but also a different style

Studio 151 - small Sushi restaurant in the back of the upstairs club at Nublu one of the best music venues in the East Village. The Chef worked at michelin starred and sadly now closed Jewel Bako

https://www.studioonefiftyone.com

A few other Japanese places your daughter might like:

Sushi on Jones - very fun spot for a quick Sushi fix on the street.

Davelle - one of my favorite breakfast spots. The feature Japanese toasts.

Hi-Collar - Excellent cold press coffee

Secchu-Yokota - Tempura

I could go on and onā€¦

1 Like
1 Like

Your post refered to ā€œJapaneseā€. Wasnā€™t specific, maybe except for the area. Report here if she finds any good Japanese in the area.

1 Like

Brent, Barry Robert, Dan, and Ramon,

Wow! Thanks one and all, I will go through these links today. Quite excited to do so. And of course I will add anything here that she discovers as NY is constantly changing and adding food options. When I visit, I am all about the deli, bakery, and pizza, but this will please her no end.

Mai