Beta Tasting and Lunch (June 18 2022)

Four of us spent a wonderful four plus hours with Ketan Moody and Wade (did not catch his last name) last Saturday on the top of Diamond Mountain (the location of their estate vineyard, Jasud). Wade served up a fantastic lunch of grilled prawns, steak (hanger and tomahawk), broccollini, and one of the best simple salads I have had in a long time.

But the highlight was the wine – 2013 Montecillo; 2018 Montecillo (two different barrels, which were quite distinct), 2019 Montecillo, and Lupin (I think 2019?). The 2018s and 2019s were magnums if I recall? It was really an informative tasting with lots of good conversation, both wine and non-wine related, with Ketan and Wade. The 2013 Montecillo, which was the first poured, was just outstanding. I just wanted to smell it for hours. I told our friends who are recently into wine that this was what a classic old school CA cab smells like. The 2018s and 2019s at first seemed a bit more fruit forward than I had expected – but with time they also grew in complexity with some lovely earth tones, suggesting that they needed more time in the bottle (which is of course what Ketan is doing with them!). The 2018 out of a 300 barrel was really rocking later that evening when we had it a local pizza place Ketan recommended. I am afraid that I did not take any notes that day – and any notes would not do justice to either the wines or the experience.

These are really special wines, made by someone who is passionate about the land/vineyard. As Ketan said at one point most of their work is in the fields; once the grapes are picked they just let the wines be what they are. I don’t know if that is an approach that would work everywhere, but boy does it work with these wines. I can’t wait to try the new ones to be released in the next few years – and definitely am looking forward to the first bottling of fruit from Jasud, which I think will be a 2019? As some of you know, some of Jasud was lost to the 2020 fires, as well as much of Ketan’s personal and professional equipment.

I am very happy to be supporting such an endeavor. Who am I kidding; I am so happy to be benefitting from being able to taste these wines. They are really special as many of you know. For those who don’t, I urge you to try them!

Here are some photos that give a sense of the beauty of the place, and the exclusive on-site restaurant.
IMG_3799.jpeg
IMG_5385.jpeg
IMG_3791.jpeg
IMG_3790.jpeg
IMG_3792.jpeg
IMG_5410.jpeg

5 Likes

Thanks for the great post. I’m hoping to get up there in November, and now I’m even more excited to do so! [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Great post! I am going to be in Napa for the Blue Note Festival and hope to have time to visit the Mountain! Such a special project and Ketan is a true original.

1 Like

Awesome post.

1 Like

Great post! I have a lunch tasting scheduled in a few weeks and this just increased my excitment level

1 Like

Great notes and photos, Ron! Looks like you had a blast.

Thanks for posting your experience!