48 hours in Philly.....suggestions

Quickie weekend getaway Nov. 5th to 7th. Staying in City Center. Already have one dinner ressie ironed out, 2nd one is pending.

Suggestions for during the day are appreciated. Taking Friday off, so we can be in the city early on. Want to do at least one of the brewery tours on Saturday (Yards, Philly Brewing, Nodding Head). Will have a car, so a drive somewhere not too far off is doable. Aside from Museums, Liberty Bell, etc. what else should be not miss?

Already got one suggestion for cheesesteaks (John’s in South Philly if I’m not mistaken) but any others would be welcomed. What about Sunday brunch? The Cochon menu looked mighty appetizing.

TIA [thankyou.gif]

Don’t drink the water

Ummm, thanks??

Now how about something a little more “helpful”?

You can pretty easily spend a full day, probably more if you’d like, in the historical section of Philly. Basically starting at the waterfront and heading back towards city center and see everything from Betsy Ross house, National Constitution Center, Liberty Bell, Congress Hall, Old City Hall, Freedom Hall, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, etc… Here’s a link to a site with a good map:

We did brunch at Garces Trading Company. We really enjoyed it. They didn’t have their liquor license so you probably can still BYOB if you’d like. If not they have a small “boutique” PLCB store on premises. Here’s a link:

Ask 10 people about the best cheesesteak in Philly you’ll likely get 8-10 different answers. It’s a religion kind of thing. John’s definitely pops up a lot. So does Pat’s. Gino’s is pretty popular as well. Between those three you can hit the highlights and gain about 10 lbs in one weekend.

I posted a lot of stuff about this on my blog if you’d like to read through it. We were there in September doing the exact same thing. If you don’t want to hit the blog I’d be happy to cross post anything over here as well.

Oh, btw, if you want one of the best and obscenely large pastrami (or other types) of sandwich hit up 4th Street Deli.

Thank you Joe. I’ll definitely read through your blog over the weekend.

As for pastrami…umm, is it better than what you can get in NYC? [snort.gif]

I’d have to say I actually liked my 4th Street Deli pastrami better than my Katz pastramini. Not by a large margin but I did like it better. iirc the fries they served at 4th Street were killer. Believe it or not we actually went there about 9AM on a Sunday morning for breakfast and had pastrami sandwiches! [wow.gif]

Definitely check out the Reading Terminal Market - http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. In fact, go to DiNic’s for roast pork instead of the cheesesteak (or in addition to).

The museum of art is a no-brainer, but the Rodin museum on the Parkway is well-worth a visit.

I’ve never done the brewery tour, but if you’re into craft beer there are lots of great ‘gastro-pubs’. Kraftwerk in Northern Liberties has been getting great press.

Suit yourself. Thought I was being helpful.

Philadelphia Daily News Oct 19th - Nuke plant’s water pumped

State environmental officials say the operator of the Oyster Creek nuclear-power plant, in Lacey Township, Ocean County, has stepped up efforts to remove water contaminated by radioactive tritium from the ground underneath the plant.

State Environmental Commissioner Bob Martin said a larger well has been added to pump out the water and prevent any possible contamination of drinking-water supplies. Exelon Corp. began pumping last month. Martin said there’s no sign of radioactive material outside the plant.

I suggest going to Bethlehem instead! neener

I can give you Mark Squires email address if you want more ideas. [stirthepothal.gif]

OK, here’s a totally serious suggestion:

Mütter Museum - Wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Home - Collphyphil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This place is weird but fascinating.

They even have one of Zach’s ancestors:

BTW, not to diss Joe Dulworth, but if there is such a thing as a “tourist trap” when it comes to cheesesteakaries, Pat’s & Geno’s certainly qualify - unless they live on that corner, or unless (as I have been) you are more than half in the bag at 2:00 a.m., no self-respecting Philadelphian considers these two choices anywhere near the upper echelon.

Jorge, one of the facts about cheesesteaks is that virtually all of the best are not within walking distance of your hotel (and most are in non-Center City neighborhoods). However, one that will be convenient if you are walking around the historic district is Sonny’s on Market - here’s a review:

Sonny's Famous Steaks is one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not as good as John’s, IMO, but very close and walking distance from the Historic district.

Bob, diss away. neener

I agree, John’s is at the top of the heap. As I said, lot’s of opinions on this one.

I’ve been to Pats and Ginos. That said, Jim’s on 4th street is where this picky New Yorker goes.

Brunch

Surprised no one mentioned Sabrina’s. http://www.sabrinascafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go to the one near the Italian Market. Arrive early. Expect to wait. Order the french toast (enough for 2). Thank me later.

What kind of cheese did you have on your pastrami sandwich?

Don’t recall.

Phil, don’t make fun of him.

If you ever order cheese on your deli sandwich in New York, they’ll know you’re a tourist. Now about that glass of milk. [rofl.gif]

Sorry Dan, but anyone who orders fries with their Pastrami and then says it’s better than Katz’s.???
Philip Ente- Born and raised in NYC and going to Katz’s for the last 50 years.

The fries were ordered for the table to share as we heard they were really good. But hey, you guys have all the fun you can stand.

Fortunately Lacey Township is not in the Philadelphia or suburban watershed.