San Antonio -2011

I did a search on San Antonio and saw the year old thread, so figured I would start another with new questions. I don’t know when yet, but I willbethere for an extended stay. So my questions are:

1). Any Berserkers in the area?

2). Any must visit wine shops? Or am I better off shipping a case down there ahead of time so I can drink something decent.

3). Other than the restaurants listed in the other thread, are there any new places worth checking out?

Chances are I will be without a vehicle with Air Force budget cuts and all, but I may rent one a few weekends when my wife comes to town on the weekends, but we’ll see.

Any other thoughts? Or has it all been covered? Cheers! -mJ

Mark, be sure and cross post this to CT. Maybe TWG can help out some. He’s in San Antonio. I know there are some wine geeks down there but I’m having a hard time naming them other than TWG aaccord. Presuming the dates work out Cynthia and I might drive down for the weekend and get together.

Thanks Joe! I threw it out there on CT as well! Good advice! -mJ

A fun town and the best tex-mex in Texas. If you have a car, I love Los Barrios (sp). I think they have a website. Cafe Sole is good as well

John Webber is down there as well. Send him a PM.

I am close enough that I could make a weekend trip down to Sea World for the kids during the day and an OL at night.

Great info guy, thanks!

Bill, how long is the drive? I would consider making the trek as two of my buddies live in Dallas that I grew up with in Chicago.

Thanks! -mJ

Depends on traffic in Austin and construction on I-35. Assuming you will be at Lackland, anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 hours. If you were the adventurous type, and were open to driving above the speed limit, that time could be cut down.

I suppose I could always borrow a Raptor for the weekend to shorten the commute! [berserker.gif] -mJ

Riiiiight.

LOL! Would be nice though…

Definitely sounds like a good excuse for a road trip one weekend… -mJ

Why not a fully armed Black Hawk . . . just in case you hit traffic. [wink.gif]

Sorry Ken, no rotor for me…fixed wing only… -mJ

Anybody remember Steve Treu from eBob? He’s down there. Good guy.

La Fogata is excellent. Just one margarita though and you’ll la fogata where you parked the car.

Check out The Grey Moss Inn website when you know when you will be in town. It is a bit out of the way but they host some great wine dinners. In fact last February I was in town for a convention and stumbled into a David Arthur dinner there. Some of the other attendees introduced me to to this board at that dinner.

Monte

Hey Mark, I saw your post in CT before here. I and some others get together with John Webber and Steve Treu about once a month. Not sure if we have much going on while you’re here given the holidays and such.
For restaurants, I’d second Grey Moss Inn and would add the just opened Luke (haven’t been charging corkage yet), The Monterey is a new place, has a great reasonably priced list (owner is a friend of Webbers). Best two high end restaurants in town are Il Sogno and The Sandbar (both by Andrew Weissman). The Lodge, Bin 555, and Tre Trattoria are fun places. For tex-mex/san antonio fare, check out La Fogada, La Fonda on Main, Paloma Blanca, Rosario’s, and Chris Madrids.

FYI: Cafe Sole is no more :frowning:

Lots of good places, can help you more if I know what you’re looking for. I’m originally from Virgina/DC, it’s nothing like that, but there plenty of great unique places if you know where to look. Not the most wine friendly town, but it’s gotten much better in the 4.5yrs I’ve been here.

-jd

Skirt…

J. Durham: just relied to ya on CT. Look forward to it! -mJ

The last few times we went through San Antonio, a stop at Saglimbeni’s was mandatory. Every Friday and Saturday everything is 20% off and they always have amazing Champagne sales. Last time they had Feuillatte Rose and Heidsick & Co Blue Top for $19.99.

And the best dining experiences we’ve had there were at Sandbar (they had the most amazing artisan butter) and Il Sogno (we were there the entire dinner service).

Also, Fiesta Texas is easily the best collection of roller coasters in one park I’ve ever been to.

Mark,

If you’re thinking of making a road trip to Dallas one weekend, why don’t you have your wife just fly in and meet you there? Much easier flight schedules.

Obviously, if something works out, let us all know as far in advance as possible.

Chris