Recommendations for winery visits in Santa Barbara area?

Hi everybody,

I’m heading out to Santa Barbara in early March to visit with my wife’s extended family. I’d love to arrange a day of winery visits and tastings for the gang (probably 6-7 of us).

I would really appreciate any advice on not to miss visits. I realize some of the smaller producers would have difficulty hosting bigger parties, so that will have to be a consideration.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

You probably should take everyone, head up to Los Olivos, park the car and just get out and walk around. Everyone can go his or her own way. There are many tasting rooms worth a stop in LO, including Qupe, Tensley, and Longoria.

You should also try to contact member Larry Schaefer, he’s been very good about setting up tastings for folks visiting the area. He makes wine at Fess Parker, and also under his own label, Tercero.

John,

Thanks for the props - much appreciated!

Michael,

Would be happy to help out. You should know that the 6th and 7th are World of Pinot Noir up in Shell Beach - if you are a pinot fanatic, you should try to attend!

I will be tied up on Friday with that event - therefore I can meet on thursday. That said, I can certainly hook you up with others in the area, including Qupe, Tensley, Andrew Murray, Beckmen, Stolpman, Trio, etc . . .

Drop me a line at larry@tercerowines.com and let’s start talking!

And if anyone else wants some suggestions, please do the same!

Cheers!

Adding to those mentioned, Brander can be a fun visit, definitely hit Beckmen (very high quality wines), downtown Solvang has Kris and Bruno’s tasting room (Five Dogs or something?), Melville and Babcock (next to one another), and head out to see Foxen and Rancho Sisquoc

I was going to mention those two as well, because Rancho Sisquoc is a wonderful place for a picnic!

Thank you everyone for such quick and thoughtful responses. It does sound like Larry is the man to talk to! I’ll drop you a note this week, as I am still finalizing which day(s) are gonna be open for a wine tour. Interesting about the Shell Beach event–I’d love to attend but might have a hard time sneaking away!

-Michael

You’re welcome. Sorry I spelled your name wrong. I guess I was thinking of the beer!
Anyway, that won’t happen again.
JT

MM - I wouldnt miss Melville.

Got the royal treatment there (we did mention we were on our honeymoon, but still seemed accomodating prior to that) and the wines were across the board good to great.

A couple of their pinots can be a bit much young as Im sure you know, but as for a couple “library” pours. Chards, esp the inox, were nice.

Michael,

In addition to checking in with Larry, you might want to check out some of the previous travels that both Ken Zinns and I have made to area. Should give you loads of ideas. Here’s a link:

Fantastic!

In addition to what everyone else has mentioned…stop by Jaffurs. They are actually IN Santa Barbara. Their Syrah’s are very tasty and not too expensive.

Their winery basically is in a really big garage right in the middle of the city. [cheers.gif]

Thanks, Yoni. I’ve been reading a lot of great tasting notes on Jaffurs wines recently. Thanks for the tip!

Michael

AND, if you’re going to be in SB proper anyway, see if Ryan Carr fits into your plans.

http://carrwinery.com/contact.html

John; Only you would remember Schaefer beer! After all it is the "one beer to have when you are having more than one."
Then again, you also probably would make the “three ring sign” and vote for “Miss Rheingold.” [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [drinks.gif]

Nah, he’s not the only one. I remember Bert and Harry Piels along with “Miss Rheingold”.

I spent a good portion of my formative years stacking Schaefer and Rheingold, as well as Ballantine, Knickerbocker, and Schlitz. And who can forget Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Holy Crap, Marshall, I just realized your avatar is outside Zero Otto Nove. Touche, my friend. Good one!

John, you probably missed my post on this elsewhere, but in the “irony of irony” department, Portland - the microbrew capital of North America - is also the largest market in the country for PBR. Not per capita, gross sales. Go figure.

that shit is #1 on my list of beers I absolutely refuse to drink ever again. It’s a very short list, indeed, but I’d rather [suicide.gif] before letting that liquid 40 grit down my gullet again