Greece, Travel Recommendations

Greetings, my wife and I’s next trip is either to Southern France or Greece. My wife favors Greece. If so, we’d like to blend in some travel to the Greek Isles. Anyone have suggestions for travel arrangers or could help put together an itinerary. Thanks. Also would appreciate suggestions for best time of year to visit.

Lee, suggest traveling to Greece ASAP as temperatures tend to go up quite a bit over there in the summer. I’ll post the name of a great hotel in Athens (just can;t remember the name now) but it is inexpensive and 5 min walking distance from the entrance to Acropolis. Has several excellent cafes within seconds on a street only for walking, so no cars. I vividly remember sipping on some nice inexpensive wines while sitting at the local cafe and admiring the lighted Parthenon. Also, if you plan on visiting many islands, flying is the way to do it, otherwise you will spend an inordinate amount of time on the water.

Otto, thanks. This would be for next Spring. So, if you think of the name of the hotel, please post.

Should you find yourself in Athens, consider the Michelin-starred restaurant Varoulka.
http://www.varoulko.gr/uk/varoulko.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably the best seafood I’ve ever had.

The island of Santorini is considered by many to be the most beautiful.
A winemaker there suggested June is a nice time, before the winds and masses burn out the locals.
And there are numerous top-notch wineries to visit there if you’d like !

I understand you’ll be traveling earlier; perhaps other would appreciate the local’s tip…

Enjoy and tell us about the highlights when you return.

Be sure to take a day to visit the surrounding area of the mainland: Athens, and the coast plus the town of Nafplio (Spartan peninsula, first capital city), Olympia, Delphi, etc. For islands, take a day trip to Santorini, also Delos (day) for the, um phallus museum (I’m not kidding–HUNDREDS of them) and of course Crete, Rhodes, etc. Stay overnight in Mykonos for sure.

If you can venture East, DEFINITELy hit Thesoloniki–really cool city and I would recommend heading into Turkey as well, maybe one night in Istanbul and the next in Kushadasi (sp?)

Santorini
[wow.gif]

Ios is a nice little island, somewhat less touristy/developed than Santorini or Mykonos. I agree with Sarah, if you have the time to visit Istanbul, it’s a whole 'nother thang and well worth seeing.

Hey all; Keep the info coming! We are trying our first cruise in October and it ends in Athens. We will be spending a few days there before heading home.

Otto; Do you remember the name of the hotel?

Cheers!
Marshall [dance2.gif]

Lee and Marshall, the hotel’s name is Phidias Hotel in Athens. Here’s a link to trip advisor for reviews. It’s a simple hotel but location and price can’t be beat. The owner Vasili is very friendly and helpful. I would also skip breakfast at the hotel and have it 1 min distance at one of the very nice cafes. Here’s the link to the reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d599633-Reviews-Hotel_Phidias-Athens_Attica.html

Good luck,
Otto

Thanks Otto…Since we are on the topic of Athens…food and restaurant reccos anyone?

Thanks again!
Marshall

Marshall,

Don’t go too late in October, if you are hitting the Greek Isles, since alot of the attraction close down. In '04 I was on Mykonos in around the 21st of the month and alot of places had closed for the season…

Enjoy…
Chris

Thanks; We will be in Athens on 10/23-10/27…The cruise ship takes us to Santorini earlier. It seems like Athens is a city where it is best to
hit the small local tavernas. That style of dining fits us perfectly. We are not really looking for “grand” experiences although I would like to arrange one “blow out” dinner if possible. Anyone with specific suggestions?

Thanks again!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Anyone with specific suggestions?

See above.

Got that… [highfive.gif] Looking for some more… [help.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Though I’ve yet to visit Thea restaurant on Antiparos, the following rec is difficult to ignore for a wine nut:

Thea also has one of the finest wine lists anywhere in Greece

Greece - David Willett, Lonely Planet Publications (Firm), Michael Clark - Google Books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greeks outside Greece and especially those of Asia Minor have been famous for their magnificent cooking probably due to the influence of many cultures. At > Thea > you can try a variety of delicious starters from the Caucasus and the Pontus as well as a wine bar.

Paros, Antiparos Greece Going Out: Greek cuisine restaurants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thea > at Pounta is a wonderful restaurant, not typically traditional Greek cooking, rather more a la carte. The straits between Paros and Antiparos are sitting in front of the restaurant so exquisite sunsets are experienced whilst enjoying the wonderful food fare. Not the cheapest restaurant on Paros but definitely ten out of ten for views. Price-wise, higher than your average but food, service and views combined make it well worth the money.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Travel-g189432-s5/Paros:Greece:Dining.Scene.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nikostheaparos@yahoo.gr

http://www.parosguidebook.gr/uploads/media/Directory_06.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;