Planning a trip to New Orleans...first time post Katrina

We are heading to New Orleans with friends [drinkers.gif] for our anniversary in late March. Our first time since 2001;
Any food suggestions? [help.gif]

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Stella’s is 1st rate. have been twice since Katrina and will be back there dining 3/13.

Thanks Glenn…that is high on our list!

Cheers!
Marshall

I’ve been there several times, and I only recall one great restaurant - and of course I can’t remember the name, but it was a sushi restaurant, a bit away from the French Quarter. It MAY have been Wasabi, not sure

I also had some great beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde

Paging L. Goldfish!!! [big_boss.gif]

you can not make a rezzy but Jacques-Imo Cafe on Oak St uptown is worth the cab fare, Gar-on-tee that.

Drago’s in Metaire for oysters is well worth the cab ride from the Quarter. I love that place. I’ve eaten at several “famous” restaurants in NO (the Commander’s Palace, Antoine’s, etc.), but they didn’t strike me as anything great.

N

I have been fortunate to go there six times since Katrina, as this has always been one of my favorite cities and making a great comback for food and wine.

Check out Cochon down at 930 Tchoupitoulas St. Very hip and hot place.

I always second Stella!

And HerbSaint (712 St. Charles Ave) is fan-friggin’ tastic. A spot for the locals, lunch and dinner.

Trust me on these…I was taken there by locals in the wine biz…very tasty places.

Have fun! One of the greatest cities in the US as far as I’m concerned.

[bye2.gif]

Typical nice places: Stellas, August.

Runners up: Dickie Brennans, Commanders Palace. There is now a Drago’s in New Orleans in the Sheraton.

Seafood: Deanies and Acme Oyster House. Deanies is larger and more upscale. Quality seems to change at each location based on the current distributor.

I should not eat here because its a tourist trap but I do every time because I love me the crawfish half and half: Mulates.

Mothers for breakfast if you do not mind lining up like cattle eating cold awesome ham and having some pretty good comfort food.

Want a good burger in an odd setting? Yo-Mama’s Bar & Grill

Great Cornbread, another wacky setting: Jacques-Imo’s Cafe

There is now a Cafe du Monde in the Rivercenter or riverwalk or riverwhatever mall. It is outside next to the water, cleaner and much less crowded than the original Cafe du Monde.

I go all the time mostly for business. I will be back in May for NOWFE their food and wine festival.

If you choose specific places, let me know. I can get more elaborate with menu items, etc.

Its changed since Katrina. No doubt, but, the spirit is still there.

i had lunch twice @ Luke’s my last trip there in the fall 07 and really wanted to get a dinner in but was unsuccessful. loved both lunches though.

I can second Restaurant August. We were there last March and it was fantastic. 2007 Zagat guide rated it #1 for food.
We also had a great brunch at Antoine’s (and they gave us a tour as well). FYI-the spa at the Ritz is worth visiting if you want a massage and some R and R.

I think Marshall is more about the hard core partying than a massage and some R&R. It’s likely you’ll find him on the French Quarter in seedy bars taking test tube shots from buxom cocktail waitresses…

Thanks Todd…did I mention this was an anniversary trip? [diablo.gif] [diablo.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [blackeye.gif]

In addition to the other recs, CAMELLIA GRILL (uptown/Garden District, off the St. Charles trolley) is a MUST for breakfast (or late night).

The staff is legendary as are the ultra feather weight omelets and killer pecan waffles.

Just to add a bit…Is anyone familiar with possible day trips originating in NO. I think we [drinkers.gif] would like to rent a car for a day or two and head into Cajun Country…maybe to Avery Island to see the tabasco [diablo.gif] process. Anyone with restaurant/food tips beyond New Orleans itself? Neighboring parishes?

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

If you’ve never done it, a cajun tour into the bayous is fun, with the stories of hunting in there and seeing alligators and wildlife. Very different flavor of life.

There’s some scary stuff out there. Houses literally IN the swamp - tipped over, so one corner of the house is in the water, and people live there!

Tradition!

Marshall, I can put you in touch with some of my Cajun friends. They are a bit on the crazy side but are usually my Cajun country tour guides.

Leslie; That would be awesome…In the past we have done an airboat bayou tour and twice we have gone with “Chacahoula” tours.
I am not sure if Chacahoula is still in business but I will find out. I would be thrilled to meet any Cajun friends of yours. [notworthy.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]