Aruba: Suggestions for Restaurants etc.

We have been to Aruba a few times, and are headed there in July. We stay at the Radisson and love the laid back feeling there. Only vacation I can say that I completely relax and shut down.

We did the rent a car and drive around the island thing. Not much there for us, so that is out. Basically, any thoughts on places to eat, have a drink, etc. We’ve been to quite a few places, but figured maybe there are some that we should check out, or maybe we hit a place on a bad night and should give it another shot.

Thanks!

When in July are you going? I’m going down the 28th.

Wow! Amazing huh?

21st - 29th

Where are you staying?

Tamarijn

Only one night overlapping, but we should get together on Tues night.

Just looked and I think you are pretty far away from us. Might not be that easy. [shrug.gif]

Since you have a car, maybe you’d like to take a spin down our way Tuesday night. If you come down on J.E. Irausquin Rlvd, you’ll run into the Divi resorts.

Just be forewarned though, we’re traveling with a large posse - 2 other familes with kids, my in-laws and my mother too. We’re a gang of 13, not that they would all go out with us. Maybe we can get together for a cocktail or two somewhere.

Mark,

My mention of having a car, was the last time we were there we rented one for ONE day, and found no reason to ever rent again. [shrug.gif] Once I realized where you were located, I just figured that with you coming in on our last night, it would most likely not happen.

Enjoy your time there with the posse. Hopefully, we all have a great time. We’ll get together when you get back and catch up on things and see how that Helium Elbow condition of yours is doing. [drinks.gif]

Steve, my mistake. I misread what you wrote. I’ll see if I can get my buddies to grab a bus and come up to visit at your place, if not, we’ll get together when we all get back.

Have a great time!

Was just there for Memorial Day week. A couple of recommendations and places to possibly avoid:

Marandi - near the airport. A must do for sunset, but also very good food.
Screaming Eagle - a tad pretentious and trying too hard to be trendy (come on, are the beds really necessary?), but good and interesting food.
Madame Janette - very good food, nice wine list, but not cheap. Currently seems to be viewed as the fine dining destination (but we enjoyed Marandi more).
Sawasdee - good Thai food (although run by two Dutch brothers).
Texas de Brazil - okay, it’s a meat fest that leads to excess, but I enjoy it (similar to Fogo de Chao if you need a reference point). Sign up on their website and get a discount coupon, though they are also available some places on the island.
Linda’s Pancackes and Pizzas - very good Dutch pancakes. People like the pizza, but I’ve never had it.
Salt and Pepper - decent place for lunch or dinner.

Disappointments:

Gasparito - upscale local food. been numerous times, but it’s gone way down hill the past two times. Avoid.
Hostaria da Vittorio - uninteresting and overpriced Italian food.
Flying Fishbone - I’ll admit we may be in the minority, because people really seem to like this place, but we were very unimpressed. While sunset can be nice and people like eating on the beach, it should be about the food. If you want sunset views, go to Marandi.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the recs, both good and bad.

Marandi - Have not been, but have heard it is worthy
Screaming Eagle - I keep hearing good things, but the pretentiousness just turns me off
Madame Janette - We were there last time for lunch only. We didnt realize that their lunch was so limited. Honestly, it turned me off on going for lunch, plus the decor was hard to take.
Sawasdee - Hard to go for Thai anywhere because I always compare it to Lotus of Siam in Vegas
Texas de Brazil - Was there last time. Used the coupon thing. We enjoyed it for what it is. We will probably go again.
Linda’s Pancackes and Pizzas - LAST thing I need right now is pancakes!! :slight_smile: Pizza too…but still might have to give that a shot.
Salt and Pepper - Haven’t heard of this one…if it is near the Radisson, I will give it a shot.

Disappointments:

Gasparito - Went there once, and was not impressed. Will not go again.
Hostaria da Vittorio - It would seem to me that Italian food on an Island in the Caribbean would not be very good. AND, you would think they could do it a little cheaper compared to other foods. [dontknow.gif]
Flying Fishbone - All of these places on the beach kind of turn me off a bit, simply because I would think the mosquitos would be tough…they LOVE me.

Any other lunch or cheaper dinner spots that you might think, or hear are worth checking out…in the Raddison area?

Thank again for taking the time to jot down your thoughts.

Sorry, I can’t add much more of value. We’ve been staying in a timeshare and tend to eat lunches in the unit. Sawasdee and Salt and Pepper have been our lower priced options (go for the tapas at the latter). Another must to avoid is Tony Romas. We should have known better, but my wife pushed for it for convenience on the day we flew out. Never again.

Thanks Jeff…We’ll check out the two for lunch. And promise, we will stay away from TR:)

I was in Aruba for a week for my honeymoon. We loved Flying Fishbone. Went for sunset, had a great meal and coffee and desert on the beach with our toes in the sand…could not ask for anything better.

Any updated Aruba recs? My wife and I might randomly go for a weekend in late April to relax.

A couple of updates on my comments. Based on a visit in November, Marandi is still very good and still on my recommended list. Sawasdee has gone way downhill (changed menu, bland cooking on very mainstream offerings) and that is no longer worth your time.

Scott:

Where are you staying?
What type of restaurants are you seeking?
Will you have a car?
How many nights will you be there?

Funny. Since I am feeling like I might be able to fly that distance and enjoy a vacation, we have been talking about going in the next 3-4 months or so. We always stay at the Raddison, but understand the main building (the tower) is going to be under construction. So not sure what to do.

Have not been in 2 years, (since I started this thread) so I would be interested in hearing thoughts too.

El Goucho is one of the best steak places on the island… Facebook - log in or sign up . Go to the martini bar across the street before of after…cool place. It’s in Oranjestad.

Marina Pirata was great too. It’s hard to find, but its’ right on the water and is the best view from any dinner table on the island if outside on the deck/pier.

Oh, and you have to hit up Hooters while in Aruba!

Probably Bucuti/Tara Suites.

What type of restaurants are you seeking?

Anything. But since it’s just a short getaway, we’re probably looking for the best the island has to offer, not places to go when you’re there for a week and get sick of fancy dinners (like pizza places, bbq places, etc.).

Will you have a car?

No.

How many nights will you be there?

Two.

Great hotel choice.

We have stayed at Casa del Mar for 2 weeks every year for a very long time. I would suggest Madame Janette, Papillon, or Yemanja for best on the island. Wacky Wahoo is best seafood with Driftwood a close second. Matthews , Marandi and Barefoot serve very good food in beautiful settings.Chalet Suisse, Amadeus, El Gaucho and Que Pasa are also good.Linda’s Pancakes and Pannekokhuis do great Dutch pancakes. Iguana Joe and Smoky Joe are good casual food. Feel free to PM or email me if you need more information. Here are good websites that should link you to every restaurant and menu. La Bodega is the only good wine store on the island. Most places do corkage for a fee.

http://dinearuba.com/default.aspx