Paris Dining Line-up

Headed to Paris with the family (wife, two boys - 15 and 17) and have the following restaurants lined-up:

Fontaine de Mars
Le Casse Noix
Le Réminet
La Cordonnerie
Frenchie
REED

Reservations have all been made and am wondering if anyone has experience and/or advice at any of the restaurants. Any don’t miss dishes? Gems on the wine list to look for?

Thanks for the input!

Frenchie in April was really good - a three course menu with two choices at each course. The restaurant has an some organic wine on its list. One of note is a Chard from Jura by J.F. Gavenat -50 Euros and a very interesting wine.

Fontaine de Mars has a great duck confit hachi parmentier - not sure about the wine list.

I always check my plans against John Talbott’s top current top 10.

Best blog I know of to identify the latest hot spots in Paris.

Frenchie has become a difficult reservation. And is worth the effort.
No longer a fan of Fountaine de Mars. While always stuffed with tourists, it has now become intolerably so and the cooking isn’t very good. Benoit has better cassoulet and a better environment.

Check out Parisbymouth.com, they have some pretty good recs. If you can, hit Spring too in the 1st.

Loved Frenchie when we went early this year. Congratulations on getting a reservation. My wife, who made all arrangements, told me about the more-than-normal amount of effort she did then.

I also am not that big of Fontaine de Mars, or at least not as much lately when compared to the first time we went 5 years ago. Plus, iirc, wine list was not as robust as I expected. In the same neighborhood in the 7th, look up Cafe Constant for another bistro type, or the much more casual and cheaper Les Cocottes de Constant. Both are good dining experiences with a small family-type group.

http://www.cafeconstant.com/1.aspx

http://www.maisonconstant.com/eng_cocottes.htm

I went to eat at Fontaine de Mars, but ended up at Le Violin d’Ingres. I think I came out ahead :smiley:

Any thoughts on what’s best on a Monday night (other than 3*).

I was hoping to get into Septime, but no dice. I have reservations at Spring one night, Le Cinq the next day for lunch, then Le Dome (where I’ll probably just have oysters and Ravenneau).

For Monday, I have a reservation at Fish La Boisonnerie (mentioned by Patricia Wells); has anyone been there? Alternatives?

Fish is awesome, good food and very good Rhone-centric wine list. The place is expat-heavy, so don’t be surprised if the bartender speaks English and maybe a waitress or 2 too.

I like Fish well enough, but I’d go to L’Ami Jean every time. Or Bistroy Les Papilles,

Another postage stamp restaurant, Le Timbre, also run by a Brit is very good.

Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated!

Oh hell oui, L’Ami Jean is a completely different animal. Fish is fun and has good food and a great list, but L’Ami Jean is inventive and, if the chef is in a mood, something of a theater. The tables are on top of each other, so you’ll get to know your neighbors too.

Thanks for the props on Fish.

I’ve been wanting to try Les Pappilles but I’m much more of a fish eater, so haven’t made it yet. As for L’Ami Jean, absolutely loved it, but it’s not open Monday nights. And since I could get into Spring, no l’Ami for me this time.

How far in advance do you need to get reservations for Spring? I’m going to be in Paris in October.

Spring took my reservation about 2+ months before and even at that point I had to go earlier or later than I wanted. Really good experience but be aware that it is a set menu so not the place you want to go to if anyone in your group is picky. Blood sausage and frog legs were great. And the Lamb was one of the best I’ve ever had.

I ve had good experiences at La Fontaine de Mars contrary to 2 posts above. Theyre known for their stellar cassoulet and everyone in my party whos had it, raved about it. I found some treasures on the wine list as well and we always drink a good bottle of Champagne which they have. Theres inside/ outside seating and depending upon the weather and your preference, you may want to set it up ahead.

Just booked Spring for late Sept. on the first try. Looking forward to it.

Awesome, awesome place. I try to go every time I’m in Paris, Daniel is doing some remarkable things. I still haven’t gone to the wine bar below the restaurant which I’ve heard is also fun.

That is good to know, Tom. We’ll spend October in Paris and will try to book Spring soon, as we were shut-out last year. How did you book?

My wife called, practicing her French. 8 am PAC coast time.