PSA for Cincinnati wine geeks

If you have not been to the 1215 wine bar in Over-The-Rhine, I strongly recommend stopping by sometime. It’s an AFWE-leaning wine geek’s oasis. They have probably 30 different wines by the flight/glass/bottle that probably run $15-$30 at typical retail shops, a bit more if you buy the bottle there. They do a “blind flight” on Wednesday evenings after 7pm where you can try to guess based on one of their sommelier’s notes. Their latest flights are an extremely eclectic mix of mostly smaller producers from around the world, and there’s not an over-ripe, over-extracted, over-oaked, spoofed, imbalanced, or flabby example in the bunch. Lots of off the beaten path stuff. Jura chardonnay? Portugal? Costieres de Nimes? Germany? Loire Chenin? Sardinia? Corsica? Etna Rosso? How about a dry, earthy, tannic, frizzante lambrusco? Definitely worth checking out if you’re local or passing through.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with the 1215 wine bar. Just a fan.

Hi Brandon,

I went to grad school at CCM, way back when, and there was nothing like this. Nice to read about it. I’d like to go.

Sounds like you’re no longer in the area then?

Now if that existed when I was in graduate school (Miami), that would have been great. But, then again, that was a loooooong time ago. I was happy just to score a table at Blind Melon in Mount Adams.

Edited to add: Love the music of the local band, Over the Rhine.

I live in KY, about 90 miles south if Cinci…I’ll check it out sometime, as I get up there occasionally (we go to Jungle Jim’s about 2 or 3 times a year).

Look forward to it. Will be in KY and Cincy first week of March and will check this out. Thx for posting!