SoCal help: Terranea?

Annual Partners’ Mtg. Anything to do off property worth doing, or should I just plop myself at the pool (assuming I can get out of the conference rooms). This is a working meeting, not a boondoggle, unfortunately

Why would you want to leave when you are able to enjoy all their amenities? Talk a walk on the beach, enjoy the pool, have a cocktail, get a massage! Not much around there worth leaving all that!

That’s certainly my inclination. But if someone were to say "you are half a mile from the best cheese monger in NA or the Lotus of Siam of Mexican food, I’d have to wander off-property, no?

If you play golf, Terranea has a neat little 9 hole par 3 course that is not expensive, and great QPR, especially when compared to Trump National which is just down the road and a horrendous QPR…and not really worth playing anyway, imo.

However, if your conference will be before mid-April, how about whale watching? Gray whale migration season is in full swing. You can do it by boat: http://www.voyagerexcursions.com/, or walk about a mile along the coast to Point Vicente: http://www.palosverdes.com/RPV/recreationparks/PointVicenteInterpretiveCenter/. Other than that, the facilities/restaurants at Terranea are excellent. It is gorgeous out there (unless there is fog…a persistent problem the closer you get to June). However, it is at the western-most tip of the peninsula so it’s a 15-20 minute drive to get anywhere worth getting to!

Thanks to you both; the meeting is in March, so the whale watching sounds like fun!

Trump National golf course is down the street. REALLY nice place.

Best food in the clubhouse too.

cost: $$$$$

You’re not terribly far from Compton and Poppy can help there.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Hey - I was paid to go there!

I just looked at Terranea’s website. It’s too bad Neal’s firm couldn’t find an upscale place to have their partners’ meeting.

Yeah, no kidding. That’s why I suggested not leaving! I would happily be “stuck” there for a while.

Happens every year. My wife busts my chops for leaving her behind to go to some swanky resort. The cold fact is that their conference rooms are no nicer than the Courtyard’s. The food is better, and the bed is really nice, but I don’t get to do any of the fun stuff the resort offers. This year, I just found out that I am arriving Friday mid-afternoon, go immediately into meetings, then a dinner, the a meeting from 8:00 until 5:30 Saturday, then leaving mid-day on Sunday. I will be lucky to get to the gym on Saturday before my meeting.

The view is nice though.

Food is excellent and expensive. Golf course is pretty, due to the location, but an awful track with signature Trump waterfalls (what, the view from the edge of the PV Peninsula isn’t good enough?) and is probably the worst QPR in the world of golf. I would rather play Terranea 10 times than once at Trump (and with the greens fee differential it would be cheaper). Terranea has the same gorgeous views, is a better course, more fun and you can walk the 9 holes easily in 90 min, usually less.

Yeah, yeah. Making excuses for not leaving Swanky-town and drinking wine with any of the colorful natives. I say we show up at the pool on Saturday and charge drinks to Neal’s room.