birmingham alabama

going for a meeting, there for 3 nights , 2 days…other than Frank Stitts’ places (on the list) and the Hot and Hot, other suggestions? thanks, Dave

Yeah, Stitts’ 3 places rock and my wife was just at Hot and Hot again a month ago and said it was amazing as usual.

Some of the ones we used to go to were Jinsei Sushi in Homewood, and if you are there on a weekend day, I always loved going to Continental Bakery and Chez Lulu in Mountain Brook for breakfast/lunch.

Richard Blais (Top Chef champ) started a Flip Burger there, but I have never tried it.

I’ll have to ask my wife. She lived there for 10 years but is out of town at the moment.

k.

I hear great things about Satterfield’s. Keep trying to get there on in-law visits, but haven’t made it yet.

We have a couple of those here in ATL.

Avoid.

Good to know.

k.

Saw’s BBQ (Also Saw’s Juke Joint, which is new and I haven’t been)
Kool Korner (Cuban)
Octane Coffee (There might be a second location about to open in the Westin)
The J Clyde (A good place for drinks)
Bettola and Vittoria Macelleria

There are a few other “if you have to” kind of places (which I would place Flip in), like Todd English PUB, Asian Rim Sushi Company, etc.

Still, Hot & Hot is amazing and I would eat there every night. I love Chez Fon Fon for lunch and would eat there every day while in B’Ham. Highland is good but sometimes I feel like the waitstaff act like they think they are better than their customers.

Satterfields is wonderful. Saws BBQ is unreal but if you want chicken and white sauce go to miss Myra’s. chez fon fon is great. Hot and hot, bottega, and Highlands are all exceptional. Ocean and Daniel George were also really good the last time I went

thanks to all, looking forward to this, Dave

Oh yeah, a couple of others my wife reminded me of:

Gianmarco’s for Italian. I think the owners are from NYC. Also Cafe Dupont gets good marks. I’ve only been once, but it is downtown if that happens to work out for convenience.

k.

Deleted double post.

deleted triple post, what’s happening here? I give up.

k.

Not sure where you live, but if I were in Birmingham for just one meal it would be BBQ and sweet tea. Highlands is nice, but we’ve got fancy restaurants in Seattle. Not so lucky with the BBQ.

Michael

thanks, but I live in BBQ and sweet tea country , SC. so look for the other, Dave

Do y’all use that shitty mustard sauce that they use in NC? You really might want to check out BBQ anyway. :wink:

Michael

Shitty or not, mustard sauce is not a North Carolina phenomenon. But I don’t suppose someone from Seattle can be expected to know that.

BBQ sauce geography lesson:

FWIW, I spent the first 18 years of my life in Birmingham. It’s all tomato-based there.

In any case, hope you have fun.

Michael

Well, you know, except for white bbq sauce . . .

Yes, we have no tomatoes.

“As for the ingredients, well, purists such as Myra Grissom, owner of Miss Myra’s Pit Bar-B-Q in Birmingham, insists there are only four: mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and coarsely ground pepper.”

You know, Miss Myra’s is definitely an outlier in two ways. First, they have white sauce, which is pretty rare. Second, they have two sauces.

Most of the places I went to growing up (Johnny Rays, Dreamland, Golden Rule, Blue Moon, etc. etc.) just had tomato based. I still think the white stuff is weird.

Michael