San Francisco in July

Headed to SFO in July with the wife (few days away from the kids). Will be staying at the Palace. I have my calendar set for 60 days out to make a reservation at Gary Danko, but was looking for a few additional dining recommendations. The French Laundry is out for this trip, as we will be cabbing it/using public transportation everywhere in the city.

David, I wouldn’t miss out on Hotel Biron when you are in SF. More wine bar with charcuterie than restaurant, but a very cool hole in the wall. Anyone else been here?

forget gary danko. it’s not very interesting at all.

Atelier Crenn, Benu, Saison, and Coi are the big boys.

There are a lot of more casualish places (but not necessarily cheap) in SF as well. What cuisines interest you?

This isn’t upscale, except for the food. [wink.gif] Sushi Zone. The address is on Market, but it’s actually just around the corner.

I’d arrive at 4:30 and hang out; otherwise, there’s a wait to enter. It’s long walking distance from the Palace.

Not exactly what you asked, but…

Go see the longest-running musical revue in theater history, Beach Blanket Babylon: http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/what/index.shtml
It’s a broad farce, and a complete hoot.

1 Like

For Japanese, try Akikos. amazing stuff flown in from Japan.

We love Atelier Crenn, though it isn’t for everyone, as the food pushes some boundaries. For intensity of flavor and both sensory and intellectual pleasure, though, it is hard to beat her cooking. If what you like is rich, comforting food, it won’t be for you, though. The sommelier’s name is Ian and he is both knowledgeable and friendly. They allow BYO on a limited basis. We are also fans of State Bird if you can manage to get in, and numerous Japanese places. Standbys like Delfina won’t let you down.

Some great suggestions, thanks all.

CWun, I’d be curious to hear your take on Gary Danko and why I should avoid it?

Saison. Maybe the best in the USA.

Next tier for me at the high end is Coi, Crenn, and Quince.

I’m going to sound a bit cynical or jaded, but Gary Danko isn’t a special restaurant in the competitive SF arena. Most people eating there will be tourists, out of town biz folk, or people who just look at the Zagat guide.

That being said, the service is always top notch. Excellent service.

The food is Califonian/American and used to be interesting back in 2002, but these days you can find similar food like Gary Danko in any large city in the US. The last time I went several years ago, I had crunchy (severely undercooked) risotto. That was the final straw. A restaurant of that caliber can not be serving crunchy risotto.

If you want to try new things, there are better restaurants than Gary Danko.

If you just want a good meal with familiar sounding proteins and nothing too ornate, excellent service, a solid cheese cart, Gary Danko would work (along with a number of other restaurants in the city). At that price point and experience, I’d much rather eat at Passot’s La Folie restaurant. For a more casual feel, and still French, Chapeau! is a city favorite, but can be annoying to get to.

I appreciate the info! We are going to be in town for 3 nights, and thinking of having ONE really nice dinner (e.g. pricey) and two a little easier on the wallet.

More. Gimme more. I’m in town on Saturday night.

Something more Cotogna than Quince. (and don’t think my knowing those two names is any indication of a general sense of what’s going on in SF.)

Flour & Water

Haven’t been. And funny because I was just reading about Central Market – same guy, right?

Aq and spqr are good choices.

If you want to try another concept, State Bird Provision Co is really good. More of a Dim Sum concept but with a wide mix of foods…

Commonwealth was great the last time I was there. Fairly-priced tasting menu with good, quirky wines.

Una Pizzeria is fantastic Pizza if you happen to be in town Wed. - Saturday and can get a table. A bit pricey for pizza ($22-24 per person) but it really is the best Naples-style pizza I’ve had outside of Italy.

Yeah, Una is great, but at 25 bucks a pop, it oughta be.

Never been to Saison, but there is no way in hell I would fall for the chutzpah of charging what they charge. If I wanted high end, I would go to Quince. If you really want to go to Gary Danko, consider eating in the lounge (which, frankly, I find a good practice in just about any restaurant, as I’d rather have the comfort and lower key service of that environment, but I’m a southern Californian, what do I know).

Flour and Water is pretty good, I’d rather go to La Ciccia. Rich Table is almost the quintessential SF restaurant, for me. Low key, good food, good energy but comfortable. If you’re going to be in town for dinner on a Sunday, Cotogna’s Sunday Suppers are a good way to go. Within walking distance of the Palace are RN74, Piperade (as well as Quince/Cotogna). Agree with Cary on AQ (though I haven’t been since they went to a fixed menu only) and SPQR.

Be aware that you might be freezing your arse off.

There is no such thing as summer in sf