Shiba Wichern Cellars - Oregon Pinot noir & Auxerrois

Shiba Wichern Cellars BD 13 Offer Summary

There are a lot of great deals for Berserkers to digest today. To make it more efficient for you here is a summary of what we have on offer for BD 13. All of our backstory, information about the wines, the details of the deals and even a game can be found further below. Shipping is included on 6 and 12 bottle packs, BUT please be sure to review all of the shipping information before ordering.
Special Berserkers Day One Time Only Never Again (Seriously, this is it) Case Offer

“The Horizontal Vertical”
2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Havlin single vineyard Pinot noir.
2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 Nuestro Sueño single vineyard Pinot noir
2015, 2016, 2017 Lewman single vineyard Pinot noir

12 bottles total. I only have 4 of these combos left. > $500

Special Berserkers Day Only Bottle Offers – You mix and match!

We received a lot of positive feedback last year about allowing you to build your own mixed packs. So, we are doing it again. Below are our bottle offerings. Order as many or as few as you like - while supplies last! To be completely clear, the first 5 wines listed below are available only today.

“The COIVD-19 Specials” – supply chain shenanigans
2016 Lewman single vineyard Pinot noir > $35 / bottle
2016 Nuestro Sueño single vineyard Pinot noir > $35 / bottle

“The Librarities” – from “deep” in the cellar
2013 Yamhill Springs single vineyard Pinot noir > $50 / bottle
2014 Barrett Hill single vineyard Pinot noir (This is my favorite of all the wine we’ve made so far!) > $45 / bottle

“But Why?” – yeah, we really did
Non-vintage Willamette Valley Sparkling Red (Pet Nat of 2019 Momtazi Pinot noir) > $30 / bottle

“Current Releases” - Berserkers get 25% retail pricing on all current releases today only!
SOLD OUT! 2018 Willamette Cuvée Pinot noir Retail $26 / bottle - > BD13 $19.50
2018 Bellevue Cross single vineyard Pinot noir > Retail $30 / bottle - > BD13 $22.50
2018 Havlin single vineyard Pinot noir > Retail $35 / bottle - > BD13 $26.25 >
2018 Nuestro Sueño single vineyard Pinot noir > Retail $35 / bottle - > BD13 $26.25
2018 Momtazi single vineyard Pinot noir > Retail $65 / bottle - > BD13 $48.75
SOLD OUT! 2019 Willamette Blanc Auxerrois, Pinot Gris, Pinot noir white blend Retail $20 / bottle - > BD13 $15.00
SOLD OUT! 2019 Havlin Auxerrois Retail $26 / bottle - > BD13 $19.50
Non-vintage Willamette Valley Sparkling Rosé (Pet Nat of 2020 Pinot noir & 2019 Auxerrois) > Retail $30 / bottle - > BD13 $22.50

Click Here to Order!Post here or email me with any questions. chris@shibawicherncellars.com
Shipping

1. We cannot ship to AL, KY, MS or US territories. Sorry!
  2. HI and AK folks please call or email. We can ship, but we will need to charge you for it.
  3. Overseas folks give please call or email. Depending on where you are, we might be able to ship. No promises.
  4. Shipping costs are included for full cases (12 btls) and half cases (6 btls) except where exclude above.
  5. We will also ship orders of less than 6 btls, but we will charge a flat fee of $20.
  6. Weather permitting, we will try to ship CA, OR and WA orders by Feb 4. If the weather turns very cold, we may delay shipment, but we will notify you.
  7. Orders to other states will get an order confirmation, but we will not ship until the weather warms up. Potential damage to the wine due to extreme cold temperatures is not a risk we are willing to take.

Mix & Match

1. We have a minimum order of 3 bottles.
  2. It would be easier and more efficient if you would order in quantities of 3, 6, 12, 15, 18, 24, etc., because our shipping boxes hold 3, 6 or 12 bottles. However, we will fulfill any order size.
  3. Some of the products have limited availability. As they sell out, the website will automatically prevent you from ordering them. I will manually update this post.

Click Here to Order!Post here or email me with any questions. chris@shibawicherncellars.comThe Details about the Deals

</big>

For BD 13 we have 13 different bottles for you to choose from to build your mixed packs! We also have one very special and very limited case offering.

Below you will find some additional details about each of the wines. If you want even more information, click the “More Info” link next to the description. At that link you’ll find info about wine making, pairings, as well as random anecdotes about the vineyards, vintage, etc.

Special Berserkers Day One Time Only Never Again (Seriously, this is it) Case Offer

“The Horizontal Vertical”

2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Havlin single vineyard Pinot noir.
2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 Nuestro Sueno single vineyard Pinot noir
2015, 2016, 2017 Lewman single vineyard Pinot noir

We have worked with Havlin Vineyard since our first vintage in 2013. The only year we skipped was 2016 and that is story that we don’t tell online – visit us in the cellar for that one. We have worked with Nuestro Sueno every year since 2015 and we had a great three year run with Lewman from 2015 to 2017. We combined all of those vineyards and vintages into one combo case “The Horizontal Vertical!”

12 bottles total. I only have 4 of these combos left at $500 each. - > More info

Special Berserkers Day Only Bottle Offers – You mix and match!

“The COIVD-19 Specials” – supply chain shenanigans
Historically our releases have been a year behind in Japan. In 2020 our importer was supposed to take an order of 2016 Pinot noirs, but “because of COVID” he was unable to do so. In 2021 after lots of back and forth they asked to jump right to the 2017 vintage. As a result we have a little “too much” 2016 Pinot noir in the library. Normally, we add fixed amount to the retail bottle price for each year a wine sits in the library. We’re offering these today only at current release pricing. After this they go into the library and only come out for special occasions.

• 2016 Lewman single vineyard Pinot noir $35 / bottle
    [50 cases, pH 3.59, 13.7% ABV, 100% French Oak (3 fill & Neutral), Organically farmed Pommard, 115 & 777 clones] -> More Info
  • 2016 Nuestro Sueno single vineyard Pinot noir $35 / bottle
    [60 cases, pH 3.63, 13.5% ABV, 100% French Oak (3 fill & Neutral), 114 & 115 clones] -> More Info

“But Why?” – yeah, we really did
In 2019 we made a tiny bit of Momtazi Pinot noir red sparkling wine. This wine is admittedly not for everyone. The idea is irreverent, but we had to try it and we are glad that we did. It is a Pet Nat –crown cap and all- with the gentlest tiniest of pink bubbles in an electric violet wine. The nose is clearly Momtazi Pinot noir, but mouthfeel is what sets this sparkler apart. The tannins, fruit, C02 and acidity are all so well balanced that I wish we could say it was by design, but in reality we just got lucky. Give it a try. This is truly a Berserker special. Other than our Club members and Harvest Help no one else will ever get a crack at this wine. > FYI, the reason it is listed as Non-vintage, but the description says 2019 is that we use one label for all sparkling wines regardless of vintage, varietal or style.

• Non-vintage Willamette Valley Sparkling Red (Pet Nat of 2019 Momtazi Pinot noir) $30 / bottle.

“The Librarities” – from “deep” in the cellar
These two library wines are rarely seen even around our house! We are only offering 1 case of the 2013 Yamhill Springs and 2 of the 2014 Barrett Hill. These are my two favorite wines that we have ever made. Barrett Hill, which is my all time favorite, is 100% own rooted Pommard. Yamhill Springs is 100% Waedenswil.

• 2013 Yamhill Springs single vineyard Pinot noir $50 / bottle
    [50 cases, pH 3.59, 13.% ABV, 100% French Oak (50% New, 50% Neutral), Waedenswil clone] -> More Info
  • 2014 Barrett Hill single vineyard Pinot noir $45 / bottle
    [112 cases, pH 3.59, 13.5% ABV, 100% French Oak (New, 3 fill & Neutral), Own-rooted pommard clone] -> More Info

“Current Releases”
“Current Releases” is in quotes, because technically the 2019 Willamette Blanc, 2019 Havlin Auxerrois and 2018 Willamette Cuvee have all been sold out for several months now. At risk of life and limb I held some back from our distributors to let you Berserkers have a shot at them. When today’s allotment is sold out, these wines move to the library. The webstore will automatically pull them and I will update this thread manually.

• 2018 Willamette Cuvee Pinot noir $26 / bottle – BD13 $19.50
    [350 cases, pH 3.51, 13.9% ABV, 19 months in 100% French Oak (3 fill, & Neutral), Pommard, 114, 115, 667, 777, Swan & Waedenswil clones] -> More Info
  • 2019 Willamette Blanc Auxerrois, Pinot Gris, Pinot noir white blend $20 / bottle - BD13 $15.00
    [144 cases, pH 3.2, 12.6% ABV, Stainless tank, Neutral French oak barrels and one shiny new Acacia puncheon, Auxerrois (79%) with Pinot noir (16%) & Pinot gris (5%)] -> More Info
  • 2019 Havlin Auxerrois $26 / bottle - BD13 $19.50
    [96 cases, pH 3.25, 12.5% ABV, Skin contact, 50% Acacia Puncheon & 50% Stainless tank, Auxerrois (100%)] -> More Info

Our four single vineyard Pinot noirs and our sparkling rosé are still available, but the 25% off is for today only.

• 2018 Bellevue Cross single vineyard Pinot noir $30 / bottle - BD13 $22.50
    [49 cases, pH 3.32, 13.5% ABV, 100% French Oak (3 fill & Neutral), Own rooted Pommard clones] -> More Info
  • 2018 Havlin single vineyard Pinot noir $35 / bottle - BD13 $26.25
    [80 cases, pH 3.64, 13.8% ABV, 100% French Oak (3 fill & Neutral), LIVE Certified Sustainably farmed Pommard, 115, 777, 667 and Swan clones] -> More Info
  • 2018 Nuestro Sueno single vineyard Pinot noir $35 / bottle - BD13 $26.25
    [75 cases, pH 3.34, 13.9% ABV, 100% French Oak (3 fill & Neutral), 114 & 115 clones] -> More Info
  • 2018 Momtazi single vineyard Pinot noir $65 / bottle - BD13 $48.75
    [74 cases, pH 3.48, 13.9% ABV, 100% French Oak (3 fill & Neutral), Biodynamically farmed Pommard and Waedenswil clones] -> More Info
  • Non-vintage Willamette Valley Sparkling RosĂ© (Pet Nat of 2020 Pinot noir & 2019 Auxerrois) $30 / bottle - BD13 $22.50
    [50-ish cases, pH 3.42, 13.% ABV, Pinot noir RosĂ© 80%, Auxerrois 20%, native yeast primary & bottle fermentation, no SO2] → More Info

Click Here to Order!Post here or email me with any questions. chris@shibawicherncellars.com**The Game

The game is pretty simple. I used MS Excel to generate 13 random numbers between 1 and 169. If you are the first to guess one of those 13 numbers, you get a one bottle discount on your order.

The rules:

1. The first person to guess a number “wins” that number.
  2. In order to make your guess, you need to post in this thread. You must post the number you are guessing and a comment about some product that you are excited about from the BD13 offerings. It doesn’t have to be our products. In fact, it shouldn’t be. What else is exciting this year?
  3. You do need to order from us. (I wanted to not have this as a condition, but some states frown on us giving away booze as a prize. Discounts are different
)
  4. You can make up to three guesses, but each guess has to be a separate post and the posts can’t be consecutive. Theoretically, you can win up to three times.
  5. If no one guesses a number, that prize goes to the first person who guesses the next highest number.
  1. We will apply the discount by refunding you the cost of the lowest priced bottle in your order.
  1. I will post the winning numbers and the winners at the bottom of this post on Friday morning. Any edits to your posts with a time stamp after I post the numbers will get you disqualified

If I missed anything or you see any loop-holes, please point them out and I will adjust the rules. I think we can all trust each other that we will play fairly and in good faith. The goal here is to have some fun and increase the banter in this thread.

Click Here to Order!Post here or email me with any questions. chris@shibawicherncellars.com**The Backstory

If you made it this far, I applaud your endurance and persistence. It’s no accident that I stuck this section at the bottom. Both Akiko and I would much rather talk about the vines, cover crop, pruning, trellising, punch-downs versus pump over, neutral oak versus new, corks, AVAs, ANYTHING
other than about ourselves.

Nonetheless, a little about us. Akiko completed her Enology and Viticulture degree at Uni Geisenheim in Germany. If not for the incredible community of students, faculty and locals we met there, Shiba Wichern Cellars would not exist right now. This community adopted us and made us their guests at tastings, parties and outings that we would’ve never been privvy to. As rank novices (I was less than a novice, really) we had chances to work in vineyards and cellars that to do this day I still can’t believe.

More than anything I think it was the working and the doing that made an impression on both of us. Akiko learned the subtleties and intricacies of the process -both the folklore and the science - by doing all of the tasks from the menial to the critical over and over again. I was occasionally lucky enough to be part of that learning-by-doing process. Many of the tasks we did were repetitive, a lot of them required concentration and almost all of them were exhausting, but we knew why we were doing them.

A wonderful thing happens when you work like that. At the end of the day you’re exhausted, but the level of satisfaction is immense. That satisfaction comes from knowing that you created something. Even if it was something very small. Even if the task is not finished, you still created a little part of the final product.

That feeling of fulfillment and satisfaction at creating something is what we get out of making wine. We hope that the wines we create share some of that fulfillment and sanctification when you drink them.

Those are my (Chris’) words about us. Below is a link to Akiko’s spoken-words about us. Please take a look LATER. Right now you have more important things to be doing. Like maxxing out your credit cards buying wine!

Order in for 3 each of the whites. I love the whites coming out of Oregon and am looking forward to these!

Guessing # 47.

1 Like

Whites were spectacular. Standout purchase for us from last year. Number guess #123

1 Like

Hi! Loved the wines last year. Getting an error message when adding a mixed 6. Something sold out maybe?

1 Like

Oh, no!

Post what you would like here or PM me and I will hold it for you! We will arrange payment.

The same goes for anybody else having problems.

So far the webstore seems to be working OK for others. We are processing orders.

All good! Dropped the Auxerrois and loaded it back in and it let me sail through. Probably user error on my part.
Give me lucky # 20!

OK. Excellent. I can see your order! Thanks!

Got to try my first Shiba Wichern about two weeks ago and I am so glad they are back! These wines are outstanding! I can’t believe the prices on them for BD. Grab these with confidence everyone!

1 Like

Hi Chris, anyway I can order and pickup? I’ll shoot you an email.

In for a sixer of Auxerrois. Excited to try this and Sabelli-Frisch!

My guess is 39.

1 Like

Sure! That works.

I’m in for a little order.
Excited to try these but also excited for when Castelli Vineyards opens their BD sale tomorrow. They have interesting Italian varieties growing out of California at a reasonable price. Their annual nebbiolio release is a fun try.

Guessing #161

1 Like

In for a sixer of Auxerrois. Excited to try this and Franny Beck!

My guess is 144.

An impressive list of offers, Chris!! I should come to visit you guys again soon!

A mixed case of ‘delish’! #101

1 Like

Excited to try all the wines! Had the Auxerrois recently and loved it! Guessing #4.

1 Like

Thank you, Sonoe! We try to pull out all the stops for this group!

From one newbie to another, welcome to the Berserker!

To anyone who hasn’t taken a look yet at Sonoe’s offer, go take a look at Six Cloves. Berserkers now has two Japanese women offering up their wines!

Click here to see her offers!

1 Like

It is so exciting to be on the BD 13 with you & Akiko!!! Ed Kurtzman of Sandler who consult another Akiko from Freeman Winery (also in this event selling steeler wines!) introduced me to this great community. But never knew I would have such a privilege to be at the event with you guys.

Cheers to Shiba Wichern & to the wonderful world of wine!

1 Like

I put in an order with Sonoe at Six Cloves. My fiance is also Japanese, so she’s ALL about supporting both winemakers and interested to see how the wines pair with her dishes.

Also added to my initial Shiba Wichern Order, so add me for another guess at #95.

2 Likes

Went for a mixed 6-pack, but can’t wait to try the “all time favorite” of the proprietor. My only question is: drink now, or hold?

Lucky number is 123.

1 Like