Microlot Coffees--Good Morning Berserkers

Great coffee doesn’t just happen, they come from passionate people investing in and building better systems to create brighter futures through bolder cup profiles.

This Berserker offering is a fun journey of specialty microlots, i.e. coffee that is produced by its date and origin, because each farm/area has its own terroir. These farmers live within higher standards than their counterparts and about fifteen years ago many farmers started building their own micro mills in order to keep their coffee separate from commercial coffee and sell a superior product.

This allows the farmer to investigate and experiment with unique processing and drying techniques. Typically, these trees yield smaller amounts of coffee as there is more focus on quality, sustainability and traceability, making Microlot coffee more distinctive.

Here is the beginning of your journey!! A selection of some of the best known coffee growing regions, these coffees are the best of the best—enjoy.

You will receive 2-8oz sealed, one way valve bags of each coffee. All of these coffees will be roasted to a City/Medium roast upon order and will be shipped the following week. These are small production coffees so we are limited in the number of orders we can take.

$88-- shipping included–for 4# of Microlot Coffee. Use discount code BD2022 to get free shipping.

Click this link to place your order.

Coffee--All coffee is 1# bags. — The Coffee Grounds

Kenya
Region: Nandi Hills, Chepsangor Hill
Farmer: Smallholder farmers
Variety: SL-28, Ruiru II, Batian grown at 1750-2000 masl
Method: Natural
Notes: Juicy, sweet and citric with raisin, ripe berry and rich chocolate flavors.

Chepsangor coffee farms are located at the Nandi Hills in a highland area of lush green rolling hills at the edge of the Great Rift Valley in the southwestern part of Kenya.

Environmental sustainability is one of the main focus points for these farms and therefore soil health is a priority in their agronomy practices. Terracing, manuring, zero-till, inter-cropping with indigenous trees, pruning, and beekeeping for purposes of pollination are mandatory practices at Chepsangor farms.

The producers each own an average of 0.5 hectares and deliver coffee in cherry form to the washing station. The coffee is de-pulped and fermented twice, first for 12 hours dry in tanks, and then for 12 hours underwater after it is washed and sorted in water channels. The coffee is dried for 16–25 days on raised beds under a shade cover of netting.

Costa Rica- Las Lajas Micromill
Region: Sabanilla de Alajuela, Central Valley
Farmer: Las Lajas
Farm: Kabirizi Washing Station
Variety: Caturra, Catuai, grown at 1450-1600 masl
Method: Natural
Notes: Balanced, sweet and tart with a creamy mouthfeel, toffee, caramel and citrus fruit flavors.

Oscar and Francisca Chacón are third-generation coffee producers. The couple is committed to quality, innovation, and are among the very first farmers in Costa Rica to produce Honey and Natural process specialty coffee.

In 2005, after years of delivering their cherry to a cooperative for the going market price, they decided to join the brand-new “micromill revolution” and buy their own de-pulper to have more control over the quality of their coffee lots.

Necessity bred more innovation when an earthquake in 2008 wiped out electricity and water to their area during the harvest. Unable to run their de-pulper or to wash the mucilage off to produce Washed lots, Francisca took inspiration from her knowledge of African coffee production and quickly built raised beds on the property. The extreme quality of their Natural lots caught the attention of their US importer and the rest is history. This is always one of my favorite coffees that we roast

Colombia
Region: San Agustín, Huila
Farm: Finca El Faldón
Variety: Caturra grown at 1800-1900 masl
Method: Washed
Notes: Sweet and savory with tart acidity, coffee cherry, cranberry and grapefruit flavors.

In 2011, Arnulfo Leguizamo won the first prize at the Cup of Excellence with coffee from this farm. An unprecedented price of $45/lb was paid for the Cup of Excellence–winning coffee. He continues to be a hard-working, approachable, and generous producer, and an inspiration to others—including his son Diego, who has started managing Finca El Faldon alongside his father. Diego has trained up as a cupper and seeks to be in charge of operations in the future, a multigenerational coffee family.

Ecuador
Region: La Per
Farm: Rancho Tio Emilio
Variety: Typica grown at 1350 masl
Method: Washed
Notes: Mellow, sweet and tart with toffee, apple, praline and citrus fruit flavors.

Rancho Tio Emilio is a farm owned by José Gaibor, and managed by his brother, Henry. Henry and his wife, Verena, oversee the daily operations of Rancho Tio Emilio, as well as their own land at Maputo and Hakuna Matata. Together, they are doing everything right when it comes to picking, processing, and drying coffees, and they are producing some of the best coffees on all of their properties.

Henry and Verena produce this coffee in La Perla, Nanegal, which is in the province of Pichincha, relatively close to the border of Colombia. The area where the farms are located has a very specific microclimate: Even though it’s relatively low altitude for Ecuador, around 1350 meters, humidity is high and a mist is often covering the coffee fields in the afternoons. It becomes much cooler at night, as well, and the unique combination of characteristics gives their coffees a very special quality.

For this special preparation, the coffee is de-pulped the day it’s harvested, then placed in airtight tanks to ferment within an anaerobic environment: This allows the temperature to stay cooler and will slow the fermentation down. Around 37 hours later, the coffee is removed, washed, and spread on raised beds to dry.

I’ve been really looking forward to this. Some of the best coffee’s I have ever had!

I’d like to try one of these. We love our coffee. Looks like the Colombian may be close to the Kona we drink

I’m excited about this one

Yes looks great!!

maybe someday… bolivian beans? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would love to try these, but with a pregnant wife, I need to make sure I have decaf options - are they available in decaf too? Could I do a sampler that was 1 8oz bag ea of regular and decaf? If not, I’ll understand -just trying to make Jill happy and avoid her ‘pregnancy rage’ [wow.gif]

I’m in!

Order in!

a must-buy every year, no brainer!

First time for me. The only downside I see is that since they are in short supply, I can’t reorder the ones I like.

Excited to try these!

Order in!

Order in. My wife really enjoys them every year.

Do you ship to Alaska?

Order in!

sorry no decaf available.

I think we can do Alaska. probably via uses.

let me see what I can do.

We found that a good substitution was Ben & Jerry’s Coffee, Coffee, Buzz Buzz Buzz. And I liked it, too

I have been wanting to try these for a couple BD’s but finally pulled the trigger.