Cadence Winery - Elegant Bordeaux Blends from Red Mountain, Washington

Ben & Gaye in Cara Mia Vineyard, 2021

Greetings, Berserkers! After an enthusiastic response to our inaugural BD offer last year, Cadence is back again with sampler packs discounted up to 25% and full cases of Coda at 20% off. Free ground shipping is included on full cases and we’re offering $10 flat-rate anywhere in the lower 48 for all other orders. Please see below for details.

Cadence makes wine that speaks of place; of elegance and power, perfume and structure in combinations only possible from three world class vineyards on Red Mountain: Ciel du Cheval, Tapteil and our own estate Cara Mia Vineyard. We intend these wines to develop greater personality with age as do all great wines in the world.

The winery is located in the Seattle suburb of South Park, roughly 210 miles west of Red Mountain and consists of just three people; owners/winemakers Ben Smith & Gaye McNutt and sales director Greg Giere. Annual production is 2,000 cases.

Want to know more? [scratch.gif] Read our newbie intro from BD12
Recent praise for Cadence:
“This is easily the finest set of releases I’ve tasted from winemaker Ben Smith and he’s hit a home run in 2018. I was blown away by the quality of the tannins as well as the seamless, elegant textures Smith was able to build into his wines. Don’t miss these beauties!”
2018 Camerata - 98 points & #25 Top 100 Wines of 2021 - Jeb Dunnuck

“Ben Smith and Gaye McNutt continue their run of brilliant Bordeaux-inspired efforts from their tiny Seattle label” - Jon Bonné

“Immensely impressive. A decidedly Bordelais aesthetic.” - William Kelley

“A superstar of the state.” - Stephen Tanzer

Wine & Spirits Magazine Top 100 Winery of 2021, 2014, 2012, 2007 & 2002

The fine print:
Please note, we cannot ship to the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Mississippi, Rhode Island & Utah.
Wines ship via FedEx, weather dependent, and adult signature (21+) is required at time of delivery. Sales tax, if applicable, will be calculated at checkout. Free shipping/$10 flat rate applies to lower 48 only, AK & HI will be extra. Please reach out with any questions!

Offer #1: Full Case Sampler - Retail price $530, BD13 price $397.50 - save $132.50

• Four bottles each of 2019 Coda, 2018 Tapteil & 2016 Bel Canto

• 25% discount with shipping included

• Click HERE to order

Offer #2: Six Bottle Sampler - Retail price $265, BD13 price: $212 - save $53

• Two bottles each of 2019 Coda, 2018 Tapteil & 2016 Bel Canto

• 20% discount, $10 ground shipping

• Click HERE to order

Offer #3: Three Bottle Sampler - Retail price $132.50, BD13 price: $112 - save $19.50

• One bottle each of 2019 Coda, 2018 Tapteil & 2016 Bel Canto

• 15% discount, $10 ground shipping

• Click HERE to order

Offer #4: Case of Coda - Retail price $330, BD13 price: $264 - save $66

• Twelve bottles of 2019 Coda

• 20% discount with shipping included

• Click HERE to order

2019 Coda, Red Mountain (Cara Mia & Tapteil Vineyards) - $27.50 retail
coda, n. a. A music passage of more or less independent character introduced after the completion of the essential parts of a movement, so as to form a satisfactory conclusion, b. The second label of Cadence winery. The home for barrels not essential to the estate or vineyard blends.

• 48% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, 18% Petit Verdot, 9% Cabernet Sauvignon - 45% new French oak

• 728 cases produced

• 92 points Wine Enthusiast, Editors’ Choice

• 14.4% abv

Winemaker notes: “Coda leads with merlot as in many years’ past, but you may notice that the percentage of cabernet sauvignon is significantly smaller than previous versions. The nose is already deep and broad; filled with spice, crunchy red fruit, pomegranate, and stones. These are echoed on the palate where deep red fruit plays off the fresh acidity in waves of flavors. The tannins are intense and firm but refined and perfectly balanced against the acid and fruit structure. This is poised, serious juice ready for a good decant or a couple years in the cellar.”

“One of Washington’s true outstanding values year after year is Coda. Over 20 years in, Cadence wines are always top-notch and have never tasted better.” – Sean Sullivan, Wine Enthusiast

2018 Tapteil Vineyard, Red Mountain - $45.00 retail
tapteil, n. a. Yakama, narrow river, b. Red Mountain vineyard named for its site above the Yakima River where the Tapteilmin lived, c. Cadence blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc grown on Tapteil Vineyard.

• 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Cabernet Franc, 20% Merlot - 40% new French oak

• 340 cases produced

• 92 points Jeb Dunnuck

• 14.4% abv

Winemaker notes: “Fresh boysenberry and blackberry aromas complement the ever present Tapteil dust, sage and minerals. The acid/fruit/tannin balance interplays wonderfully throughout the wine; this is a dervish whirling ever faster on your palate. Powerful, intense and long, Decant now or wait a few years to enjoy Tapteil 2018.”

"Ripe red and black fruits, leafy herbs, chocolate, charcoal, and earthy nuances give way to a medium to full-bodied, beautifully textured, concentrated red blend with the fruit and opulence to shine today yet the structure and balance to evolve for 15-20 years.” - Jeb Dunnuck

2016 Bel Canto, Cara Mia Vineyard, Red Mountain - $60.00 retail
bel canto, n. a. A style of singing characterized by beauty of tone rather than dramatic power [Italian, literally: beautiful singing], b. Cadence blend of Cabernet Franc and Merlot grown on its estate, Cara Mia Vineyard.

• 82% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot, 6% Petit Verdot - 50% new French oak

• 223 cases produced

• 94 points Stephen Tanzer / 94 points Owen Bargreen

• 14.4% abv

Winemaker notes: “Stunning, highly perfumed nose of dusty, crushed rock minerality, spice, and black currants. All our wines are terroir driven, and Bel Canto truly reflects the cobblestone soils on which it is grown. It smells like Red Mountain earth. The palate is soil driven, minerals harmoniously dancing with beautiful red fruit. The acidity is fresh for such a warm vintage. The back end is driven by plush, lifting tannins that elevate the finish and foretell of a wonderful, lengthy evolution in bottle.”

“The palate has a Bordelais, Right Bank feel, delivering bright red fruits with chocolate and sagebrush undertones. Utterly fantastic in its youth, this expressive effort will cellar well for the next two decades” – Owen Bargreen

Thank you for your support, and Happy BerserkerDay! [cheers.gif]
www.cadencewinery.com

3 Likes

In for a 6 pack. Thank you for the offer.

1 Like

Nice to see you here! I missed you last year and then found you when reading through Jeb Dunnuck reviews. Happy to be a member of your club and I’d order more if I weren’t already full.

1 Like

In for a 3 pack, plus ordered some more '18 Ciel du Cheval.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

Appreciate it, Brian! Final release of Ciel, get it while you can [cheers.gif]

In for a case of the Coda – perfect weekday wine!

1 Like

Thanks Stuart!

1 Like

Don’t have near enough Washington wines in the cellar. Looking forward to the 6 pack I ordered.
Cheers,
Roger O.

1 Like

[thankyou.gif]

In for 6! Love these wines. So good.

1 Like

In for a 6, looking forward to it.

1 Like

OK, I won’t make the “Tom Hill claim” (… followed them from the very start …) as it relates to Cadence, but I’m not all that far away from that being true. I have experience with these wines back to the turn of the century – before they were an “all Red Mountain” producer.

What I can say is this… If you are interested in seeing if WA state wines can age (that is, not just “hold”, but improve and gain complexity with decade or more aging), then you should be putting some Cadence wines in your cellar. These wines are certainly plenty tasty in their younger years, but they have gained complexity and interest with each passing year. Again, going back to early 2000s vintages, I’ve yet to have any of their Red Mountain releases that I thought were past their prime – and quite a few that I thought had plenty of runway to continue to improve.

Certainly, their SVD lineup is well structured, built to age, and great value for their prices. However, in my opinion, there’s an additional secret that long-time Cadence customers learn. Coda (the value blend of the barrels that don’t make the cut for the SVDs), while more approachable in its youth, also ages well. In my opinion, the aging curve on Coda is vastly longer than it’s generally given credit for. Quite a few years ago, I started putting some away each vintage in the back of my cellar as an experiment – and I’ve been quite surprised at how well they’ve performed as they’ve aged. I open each vintage every 5 years, and continue to enjoy this experiment. And that’s in a wine that – at BD case pricing this year – is all of $22 bucks, including shipping.

Part of me says I should keep my mouth shut on this one, to ensure my club prices stay down… :slight_smile: However, since Ben is both an avid cyclist and a former engineer, that just doesn’t seem fair.

Just my $0.02…

Michael

Didn’t pick up one of the packs, but after perusing the site, I pulled the trigger anyway! Love the 375ml availability…time to try some new WA wines!

1 Like

Appreciate the kind words, and couldn’t have said it better myself. Also, for any Berserkers who might live in Washington, we do open the winery to the public three times per year (for free, don’t need to be a member) and Ben is always quite generous with pouring library bottles in addition to current releases. A 3L of 2001 Bel Canto opened a couple years back was particularly memorable. These open houses typically occur in Spring and Fall to coincide with our two releases, and the last one is right before Christmas. Anyone interested can join the mailing list or follow us on Facebook/Instagram.

Excited to see this one…really enjoyed the Bel Canto when i had by chance previously. In for a 6 pack.

1 Like

I’m a late arrival for this offer, but in for a 6’er!

I have a singleton of the 2009 Bel Canto I have been cellaring for 9 years (!). I am no longer hesitant to open it, with reinforcements on the way. I’m sure it can go longer, but unless there is evidence of still being closed, 13 calendar years from vintage is likely in my personal sweet spot.

1 Like

Is this offer still open? A friend was trying to order, but was unable to complete the process.

TIA

Hi Dave, Were you able to order? We had the links on our website active through Friday night, I believe. If you weren’t able to complete an order and are still interested, shoot me an email and we’ll get you taken care of!

My buddy (Kevin O) was well-taken care of… Thanks Greg!