*Extended One Day* Scherrer - Rocking Reds - Pinot, Syrah, Grenache & Zin across Vintages

We are back for our third participation in Berserker Day. This year, we decided to offer different ways to study what we are doing with single-vineyard selections of different red varieties and a Pinot Noir site survey within 2 different vintages. Special Berserker Day pricing of 20% off will go live on Thursday. You can find all of these offerings in one place with this link: https://scherrerwinery.com/berserker-day// If you have any problems with the website or ordering, let us know 707-823-8980 or info@scherrerwinery.com We have listed Vinous ratings, where possible, for consistency in rating criteria and because that is the one publication that actually tastes everything we make every vintage. Antonio’s travel schedule has been affected by Covid, of course and there are recent lapses/delays.

While first known 30 years ago for Zinfandel from my family’s property in Alexander Valley, Pinot Noir has been the main varietal by volume for a couple decades. What I love about Pinot Noir is that it does not tolerate stupidity: Every choice becomes a part of the sensory record. Here is a study in vineyard sites we call the 2016/2017 Sonoma Pinot Noir Grand Slam: Bottlings from three great but different corners of Sonoma County AVA’s: Platt from the Southern Sonoma Coast, Gunsalus from the Green Valley of Russian River Valley and ‘High Slopes’ representing the southernmost tip of the Russian River Valley from two different vintages. Regularly $386, Berserker Day Special $308 Click here to Order

• 2016 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Platt Vineyard (Vinous 95 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Gunsalus Vineyard (Vinous 94 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir ‘High Slopes’ (Vinous 94 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Platt Vineyard (Not yet reviewed)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Gunsalus Vineyard (Not yet reviewed)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir ‘High Slopes’ (Vinous 94 pt)

Russian River Pinot Noir is our main Pinot Noir bottling. Here is a perfect opportunity to see how vintage affects the fit and finish across 6 vintages. All choices flow from a desire to showcase the AVA in the context of vintage personality. Regularly $300, Berserker Day Special $240 Click here to Order

• 2014 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Vinous 89+, 92 CA Grapevine 92 pt)
  • 2015 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Vinous 90 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Not yet reviewed)
  • 2018 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Not yet reviewed)
  • 2019 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Not yet reviewed)

Syrah has been another focus of ours for many years - before it was in favor and after it grew out of favor in the general marketplace. Two bottlings to sample here: Calypso and Sasha. Calypso is a fine site to see over different vintages. It is a tiny vineyard dedicated to exploring and adapting the plantings as we have been discovering which clone/ rootstock/ trellis-systems are best suited there. Sasha is the name we give for the prettier side of this variety: redder fruits, somewhat lighter body and more upward trajectory on the finish. This is not an extreme contrast to the other Syrahs we make. It is a different facet to a lovely gem that may shine brighter for some of our palates. No new oak is necessary with this variety and the nuances deserve that space between the notes. It is not a ‘Phil Spector Wall of Sound’ production. It is more of a Windham Hill acoustic piece. For wine it ’Takes a Year’ to grow them and they reflect that year’s weather. Between 2013 and 2016, there are very different kinds of growing seasons. This is a great opportunity to see how the site shines under varied lighting. Regularly $262, Berserker Day Special $210 Click here to Order

• 2013 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 89+ pt)
  • 2014 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 90 pt)
  • 2015 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 92 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Syrah, Sasha, Russian River Valley (Vinous 91 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Syrah Sasha, Russian River Valley (Not yet reviewed)

Grenache and Huntsman: A decade before his death, my dad and I would have discussions about what the history of the Alexander Valley taught us, what we have learned over the years and what we needed to learn with the newer materials and viewpoints in play. We actually agreed that Grenache should do well on the family property. So, I began working with Grenache elsewhere in Sonoma County to get a feel for it. Having been a Northern and especially Southern Rhône fan since the mid 1980’s, I had a sense of what Syrah, Grenache and complimentary varieties had to offer each other in the context of vintage variation. In short: They heal each others’ wounds if they have any and support each others’ victories when they have them. [I cannot imagine a Greek bromance written that eclipses this varietal relationship.] Huntsman is a blend of the two where neither is dominant. Grenache, however, can be a great solo artist as well as a supportive partner in a duet. Here is the opportunity to experience that through one house’s eyes. Regularly $224, Berserker Day Special $179 Click here to Order

• 2015 Scherrer Winery Grenache Kick Ranch Vineyard (Not Yet Reviewed)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Grenache Kick Ranch Vineyard (Vinous 92 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Grenache Kick Ranch Vineyard (Vinous 90 pt)
  • 2015 Scherrer Winery ’Huntsman’ Sonoma County (Vinous 91 pts)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery ’Huntsman’ Sonoma County (Vinous 92 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery ’Huntsman’ Sonoma County (Not yet reviewed)

Zinfandel was where I started our winery and should therefore include our ‘Old & Mature’ Vines bottling made from the Old Vines my grandfather planted in 1912 and ‘mature’ vines I helped my Father and Grandfather plant in the 1970s. A few days ago, I finished pruning the old 3.4 acre block for the second time in a row solo (much more lonesome than in the winter of 2019/2020 with my dad on his last time doing so - I think about his investment in those vines for his entire life and the choices made to keep them alive). This is a site that I think really expresses its best facets with an elegant perspective during vinification. I selected a short vertical of the three newest vintages we have in a meaningful quantity in case someone is compelled to come back to the well. Our style will be either dismissed as atypical of the Jammy Zin aesthetic or will be a mind-opening realization of the potential this lovely variety has to offer. This style ages magnificently and is unusually food-friendly. The ‘short vertical’ is meant to minimize the uncertainty of making this leap of faith for those who have never tried our Zins. Regularly $118, Berserker Day Special $94 Click here to Order

• 2017 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2018 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard (Not yet reviewed)
  • 2019 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard (Not Yet Reviewed)

Shipping: We prefer GLS in CA and FedEx to the rest of legal shipping states unless customer has other requests. Curbside Pick-up is available at the winery by appointment. We are not licensed to ship to AR, CT, DE, MS, ND, RI, SD, UT, VT. You can find more information and our rates with this link: Shipping Information – Scherrer Winery

Not gonna lie, I’m obsessed with your Chardonnay… had fingers crossed. We’ll have to work something out offline!!

Have a great BerserkerDay Fred! [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Fred’s Zins have become a house favorite since discovering them last BD. Will be in line to stock up on short verticals (which also happens to describe my leaping ability).

1 Like

Oh, man.

#metoo Freds Chards are special.

Every wine Fred makes is gold. Those RRV Pinots are unique for their price, deliciousness, and restraint. His Zins are the best around - I’ve been ordering those for well over a decade. I’m an unabashed Schreder stan, I admit.

In for case. Thank you, Fred!!

1 Like

Thanks, Emily. You have a rockin’ one too!

F

1 Like

Kurt, thanks. That means a lot to me.

F

Those RR Pinots are my favorite. Picking up a case now.

Agreed, love Fred’s wines especially with some age. Order in.

Case order in. I had my first Scherrer wine last summer off of a wine list and it was a zin from mid 2010s but I don’t recall the exact vintage. It was amazing. This offer was an automatic buy for me.

In for 2 3-packs of the Zin - great, great wine.

Layne, I appreciate the support very much. Those RRV AVA bottlings are my primary focus in the Pinot Noir world. I find that it is easier to make something really special by blending certain sites appropriately. They may not have a specific site signature, but they have the regional signature in our house style and develop favorably over time. Enjoy!

F

Hey Fred,

I’m unable to order because I need to reset my account password, but I don’t seem to receive the password reset emails.

I knew I’d ordered some Scherrer wines in the past. My notes for the 2013 Zin had entries like:

“6/21/2020 - These are all getting drank quickly so it must be good!”
“8/9/2020 - Drank well into a session. No notes. Would buy again though!”

Therefore, I’m in for the Grenache/Huntsman and two packs of the Zin mini-vertical

Thanks for the offer - I’ll try and take better notes this time!

I had the same issue – couldn’t get password reset emails to come through

Ugh! Please give Judi a call at 707-823-8980 and she will reset it for you. I’ll text her too.

I’m at the vineyard this AM, while she is holding down the fort at the winery for issues such as this.

1 Like

Working on it…I just texted Judi for you.

F

Fantastic wines and people, visits to the winery are some of my most memorable tasting experiences . In for a couple of cases.

1 Like