Flannery Beef - 40% off CA & MW New York Steaks

Katie and I tend to assume that everyone on this forum is just an extension of our crazy family, but we were thinking that this year, it might be a good opportunity for us to do a bit of a deep dive into what sets us apart on the beef stage. So we’ve got the down-n-dirty offer deals here at the top of our post, as well as some more “Flannery”-centric info for your perusing pleasure (or something to mock!) after you finish up your wine buying frenzy. Off to the races!

40% off California Reserve New York Steaks
https://bit.ly/3HeHcX2
These California Reserve New Yorks are sourced from Holstein steers (the secret behind our “CA Reserve” line), and are dry aged for 30-35days. Coming from Holstein, these steaks will be more narrow in width than traditional Angus steaks, and are dry aged for 30-35 days. Because of the smaller size, we are offering these in 8oz, 10oz, 12oz, and 16oz cuts.

40% off Midwestern New York Steaks - SOLD OUT!!
https://bit.ly/34bp2H2
While the exact same cut as our California Reserve Steaks, these Midwestern NYS are sourced from Angus cattle. While we don’t usually carry the Midwestern NYs, we’ve aged a batch specially for this crowd, since we tend to see a lot of requests for larger cut steaks – mainly the 20oz and 24oz portions. We typically don’t like to cut that large of New York from the Holstein because the smaller eye (or diameter) of the Holstein muscles means that at that weight, you are looking at a steak that is taller than it is wide; it just becomes unwieldy from a cooking standpoint. That’s where the Angus come in – these are for anyone looking for that thick ‘to share’ steak. It also is a cool opportunity to taste test two different cattle breeds side by side.

40% off Pork Caps - SOLD OUT!!!
Ok we vastly underestimated your guys’ pork appetite. Preview day cleaned us out of all the pork (and believe me, I thought we were in hog heaven with the amount we had ready for this sale). Feeling a moral obligation to continue my pork proselytizing, we’re going to have our BDXIII coupon code work for future purchases of pork caps. The only tricky thing is that as of right now, I don’t have a definite time range on when that could be; somewhere within the next two months. For anyone following the California Pork debacle, recently passed Prop 12 has tightened regulation on pork sold within CA, and we’re waiting on a timeline from our pork supplier (based out of Idaho) on when our next shipment will land. If you want us to shoot you an email when we have these pork caps back in stock so you can jump on board with the coupon code, send me a pm with your email address and we’ll make a list.

https://bit.ly/3IBRLUG
It might seem out of left field for us to throw a pork offering up, but we’ll blame this on Todd French. We sent him a few of these pork caps a couple months ago, and his immediate reaction was “holy sh*t can these be part of BerserkerDay”. Ask and ye shall receive! In a nutshell, these are the pork equivalent of the beef rib cap, at a much more affordable cost. Enough said.
[snort.gif]

40% off Pork Medallions - SOLD OUT!!!
https://bit.ly/3ICya6z
And while we’re at it with pork, we figured might as well throw these on too. A leaner alternative to the pork caps, and a smaller portion size, these pork medallions are (after the pork cap of course), the perfect serving of pork in a single 7oz cut. FYI; we have a limited quantity on these babies, so they might go fast. You guys are legitimately insane. Sold out in 3 hours!

Ordering Logistics

COUPON CODE: Once you’ve got your cart full, make sure to use coupon code BDXIII either on the shopping cart page, or during checkout.
SHIPPING: Depending on where you are in the US, we offer two shipping methods: GLS Ground for the west coast, and FedEx Express for everyone east of Nevada. Shipping costs will vary based on location and cart value - you can find the specific breakdown on our shipping info page here: https://www.flannerybeef.com/shipping
DELIVERY DATE: During the checkout process, our site will ask you to enter your requested delivery date. Available dates will change based on your shipping method selected, but what’s nifty about this is that you can choose when you’d like your order to land to you.

So - what’s the Deal with Flannery Beef?
We Specialize in Dry Aged Beef

What sets dry aged beef apart from unaged beef is the tenderness and the flavor. If you look at dry aging from a scientific perspective, you can think of it as a controlled decay process. When done in a monitored environment, introducing the beef primals (large muscle groups) to the air allows the occurrence of natural enzymes that slowly begin to break down the molecular bonds of the meat. As these bonds are slowly broken, the end result becomes more tender. The noticeable tenderness of the dry aged steak doesn’t really improve after 30 days, whereas you will see dramatic flavor changes the further out you go.

The longer you dry age beef, the more pronounced the flavor. A good cooking analogy is to think of what happens when you reduce a stock into a demi-glace. At the end of the process you’ve evaporated most of the water molecules and only a small fraction of the original amount of liquid remains, but it is packed with a very concentrated flavor.

The concept is the same for dry aged beef. Except instead of putting that pot of stock over a low flame for hours, beef primals are exposed to the open air in a controlled aging environment and left for anywhere from 7 to 45 days (or longer, depending how crazy you are). By ensuring the primals are open to the air on all sides, it allows the moisture within the meat to slowly evaporate over time. Depending on how short or long the aging process is, you will have relatively tame to absurdly intense flavor profiles. You will also see a surprising amount of weight lost, proof that moisture from the beef is evaporating. Interestingly enough, this moisture loss occurs at the fastest rate during the first two weeks of dry aging beef, then it will slowly decrease.

There are three major elements that need to be controlled during the dry aging process: temperature, airflow, and humidity. To maintain the consistency and quality we are fastidious about starting and moving cohorts of primals together through our five aging rooms during the process. This ensures the beef is losing moisture and aging at the same rate while keeping the humidity in the cooling rooms steady. The primals remain in our first aging room, where much of the blood and moisture loss occurs, for 5 to 6 days. Then they will be moved together to the next aging room for up to 14 days. And, so on until they are ready to processed.

Temperature is the most obvious control, and the controlled temperature and airflow in the cooling rooms will trigger an aerobic (lives in air) bacteria which will produce beneficial molds on the exterior of the primal. Think of the rind on a fine brie. This serves to both bring out the flavor of the beef and to make it more tender during the dry aging process.

The second factor in play when dry aging beef is the airflow. Ensuring there is plenty of airflow in the aging room creates an environment in which the beef will form an outer ‘crust’ during the first week or so of dry aging. This crust is important, as it will act as the shield for the inner meat. For primals this crust is to recreate what used to be the natural barrier provided by the bones and fat of the carcass.

The final element, humidity, can be the most difficult to control, and believe us, we learned the hard way. It’s the reason you’ll see some restaurants showcase dry aged beef in rooms with salt block walls (you want a failproof way to ruin your refrigeration equipment? Install salt walls). Our solution to this issue, while at the same time increasing our weekly cardio, is to be constantly rotating product throughout our facility from one room to another. Rather than keeping all our aged product in one single aging room, we segregate our multiple rooms by age; so while our younger rooms will have incredibly high humidity (as the bulk of the moisture is lost in the first week or so), each room will progressively drop in humidity as the product become drier and drier. It’s more work, true, but the results speak for themselves.

We Differentiate between Cattle Breeds
Similar to grapes, you can’t really make the argument that one breed (or grape varietal) is BETTER than another, because a lot of rankings when it comes to food and drink are based on personal preference. I mean, you can, but you’ll probably find someone who disagrees with you. What you can’t deny, though, is that there are differences.

The most well known beef breed in the US is Angus. Without going too much into the weeds, Angus cattle are genetically ideal for high quality, large scale beef production. They will mature quickly, have very good yield (meaning the amount of sale-able meat from an animal), and are efficient at converting high energy feed into marbling.

Our love affair is with a totally different breed – the Holstein. Whereas everyone has heard of Angus, I’ll bet you that when you think of a cow, the image that pops up in your mind is of a Holstein – the black and white spotted cow. While the Angus have won the genetic lottery when it comes to beef production, the Holstein breed reigns king (well, technically queen) over the Dairy industry. Over 80% of all dairy produced in the US comes from Holstein cows. For the longest time, Holstein steers (the males) were a thorn in the dairy industry’s side. Dairy farms have an obvious need for female calves, but zero need for male Holstein calves. Since this is our BerserkerDay post and not my dissertation on beef breeds, simply put – there will always be push back in the meat industry against using Holstein steers for beef production. Mostly due to this breed needing a few extra requirements when it comes to raising/feeding, and a lower yield at the end of the day. Long story short – as a rancher, you pay more money for less saleable product.

So why are we in love with it? Easy – the marbling is knock your socks off, write a letter to home, holy sh*t good. Combined with a smaller muscle diameter, you’re able to get a phenomenal steak in a smaller portion size at a nice thickness than you can get from other breeds. It’s a no brainer.

We’re Obsessed with Two Things: Quality Beef and Customer Service
Put simply, we’re proud of what we do, if we screw something up we always make sure it’s fixed, and if you ever want to ‘talk meat’ just call up and ask for either of us. Seriously!

1 Like

First purchase of the day

1 Like

you know it’s bad when you need to pick a shipping date a few weeks out so you can eat enough stuff from your (FULL SIZE) freezer to make room for you Flannery Berserkerday purchase!

Hmmmm. Trying to order, but after I apply the discount (which shows) I go to the checkout and it’s full price. Am I doing something wrong?

Okay, never mind. It works once I’m putting in the shipping information!

No-brainer. The CA Reserve strip is my go-to, and I was due for a re-stock, and I’m psyched to try the pork cap.

Great offer! In for a bunch!!

For the pork rib cap, can it be cooked unrolled… If memory served right (many moons ago) this was cook at Todd’s house this way. Thinking SPG and high heat…

First buy of Berserker Day and a big one. Thank you!

Order in! Those Pork Caps are the stuff dreams are made of.

1 Like

Yes, then chopped garlic and lime juice/salt, marinade for a few hours, roast, and DIE FROM PLEASURE eating them. Keep them rolled for more of a ‘roast’ but it will take longer as well.

1 Like

In for a couple pork caps and CA NY steaks. Thanks!

In for a couple steaks and pork.
Thank you!

Order placed, thank you.

More pictures! Gonna try this for the first time!

Not familiar with dry aged steaks. Can freeze or leave them in the refrig?

In for some smaller NY strips in this offer to go with the larger ones ordered in the monopole cru offer.

Pork cap sounds riiiiiidiculous. Seriously excited for this.

Order in - bunch of Midwestern NYS and had to go back for a few Hangers even though not included in BDXIII as the family keeps asking for them! Just need it to not be -12F outside so I can get the grill going!

Lots of discussions about freezing Flannery’s dry aged steaks in many threads here.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3197736#p3197736

and do a search.

1 Like