PAETRA BD13 33-50% off!

Hello Y’all, and Happy Berserker Day XIII!

Thank you to Todd and the Community for your continued support! We’re excited for the opportunity to participate again in this incredible even. As it turns out, we have just wrapped up harvest on an amazing 2021 vintage and are selling one of the wines further down. We are also offering a great deal on our delicious current vintage of Rieslings. Please see the wine notes below the offers and our story Below-below.

BD OFFER #1

2020 Riesling 6pk $99 33% off! (Reg $150)

4 bottles 2020 Paetra Riesling Willamette Valley $13 (Reg $20)
2 bottles 2020 Paetra Riesling Elwetritsche Eola-Amity Hills $23 (Reg $35)

BD OFFER #2

2020 Riesling 12pk CASE $149 50% off! (Reg $300)

8 bottles 2020 Paetra Riesling Willamette Valley $10 (Reg $20)
4 bottles 2020 Paetra Riesling Elwetritsche Eola-Amity Hills $17.50 (Reg $35)

BD OFFER #3

PRESELL- 2021 Paetra Pinot Blanc 6pk $99 33% off! (Reg $144)

Ships Spring! SEE BELOW

2020 Paetra Riesling Willamette Valley
Our flagship Riesling and Berserker favorite! The three vineyards remain the same, but for the first time since 2014, I decided to ferment a significant portion of the wine in neutral oak barrique and also left the wine sur-lie longer to promote complexity, body, and savour while keeping the acidity long and the fruit aromas pristine. Bone dry and lookin’ for a pulled-pork sandwich or a bacon-wrapped scallop.

2020 Paetra Riesling Elwetritsche Reserve Eola-Amity Hills
LAST VINTAGE EVER! This wine has been my pride and joy to farm and produce for the last 5 years. We are moving on from this vineyard and are sad to see the end of Elwetritsche. Happily, we went out on a high note! I fermented the very low-yielding, very concentrated bunches in Neutral oak Puncheons with air and fruit-born yeast, a gentle pressing cycle and 8 months sur-lie without racking. It is nothing short of a stunning Riesling. Peach and nectarine with floral notes and a succulence and juiciness that we haven’t achieved from this vineyard until this year. Despite it’s lowish 12% alc, it is the brightest and most vivid Elwetritsche we’ve made. Enjoy!

FUTURES!----2021 Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Range
After lots of lovely deliberation with my wife, Laura convinced us to offer our still-in-barrel 2021 Pinot Blanc as a Presell for Berserker day. It was an enormous success last year. There are a paltry 200 cases available and 90% of that gets snapped up by distributors before we have a chance to offer this delicious and relatively unknown Pinot family member. The wine hails from a high elevation vineyard in the beautifully dramatic Coast Range Mountains bordering the Pacific providing cool climate and low yields. It just finished fermenting in Neutral oak not a week ago and is, as always very saline and mineral. PLEASE familiarize yourself with this amazing grape if you’ve not yet. It loves shellfish and oysters and day-drinking.

SHIPPING!!!

Please note that due to freezing temperatures on shipping routes to your (hopefuly!) warmer State may delay delivery. We will reach out with shipping details per individual. If you have any special requests, please contact us and we will be happy to help!

****We are offering flat-rate $30/6pk Nationwide!
FREE delivery in the Portland Oregon Metro is an option available at checkout (PLEASE SELECT PICK-UP and we’ll reach out for delivery details.)
PRESELL Pinot Blanc will be shipped after bottling in the spring and shipping prices will be reflected at checkout. We will accommodate consolidation or separate shipping at your request.
Please reach out to us with any questions!

Wine questions:
bill@paetrawine.com

shipping:
laura@paetrawine.com

My journey to produce Riesling in the great northwest of Oregon has been a wild and rewarding adventure. Amongst many bottles of wine consumed, Continents were crossed, languages learned, love and war- asses and knuckles busted- and many friendships made. I am especially thankful for my unconditionally loving and supportive family.

My first memories of wine are from the dinner parties my parents threw - sometimes I was lucky enough to taste a little - usually red Bordeaux. But even more credit has to be given to a Chardonnay-drinking girlfriend of mine in my early 20’s. For the most part, I had been a beer guy. But I too would buy and drink Chardonnay because she liked it and she was a lot of fun after a couple of glasses.

Early in my career I worked for a large wine and liquor store which gave me the opportunity to learn about and taste wine from all over the world. The California wines were the easier to read and comprehend, but I eventually got to the point where the European wines were more interesting to me, both stylistically and academically. The German Riesling section was a jungle of indecipherable labels mostly produced by large bottling-firms and co-ops, but nothing much of quality. I did not give the section much thought until I had the chance to taste a bottle of 1998 J.J. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese. Well, this sure as hell was not Chardonnay. There were vivid flavors of fruit, mineral, acidity and like tasting a guitar-solo of apples and steel. ALIVE! I had to get to the bottom of it.

I started reading an old Alexis Lichine Encyclopedia of Wine and was fascinated and confused by the complexity of the wine-labelling law in Germany. It takes a certain sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder to undertake study of that sort at age 21. I quickly took it upon myself to invigorate the German wine section of the store. Riesling deserved it. It was during this time that I met Rudi Wiest, one of the top German Wine importers in the US. He introduced me to older German Rieslings, how beautifully they aged and changed the way I thought about white wine. Gradually my brain absorbed more information, my body more wine and I became the Wine buyer at several wine shops around the Twin Cities. I dove into wine regions known and obscure, but never lost my passion for Germany and its wines.

Further into my career I joined the sales team with the best wine importer/distributor in Minnesota. The company culture was one that focused on education through tasting, travel and eating well. We started to represent the Terry Theise portfolio of excellent German wines and Terry became an invaluable source of information and insight for me. Terrys mentorship and guidance helped shape the winemaker I am today.

In May 2010 we moved first to Hessen and spent the summer further exploring different regions of the country. Because of the scenery, warmer climate, and the myriad of different wines that are grown we decided on Pfalz (just north of Alsace, France). I enrolled at the Wine and Agricultural school in Neustadt an der Weinstraße and started working for a winery in the Südpfalz. I arrived in Germany with a very basic knowledge of classroom German (from taking a couple of years of night-classes here in the US) but after a few months had expanded my vocabulary to include much of the local dialect (which is difficult even for other Germans to understand) and the scientific vocabulary required to take Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Technical, and Enology classes instructed in German, not to mention cuss-words, insults and all sorts of sexual innuendo.

I was extremely impressed with the German apprenticeship system. It is certainly the best, most thorough in the World and the teachers are second to none. Nearly two-thirds of all German winemakers go through the program at one of several colleges around the country. Students are required to take and pass classes relating to all aspects of winemaking, cellar-techniques, equipment operation, farming, and running a business. They are required to work at wineries during this time (normally three wineries in three years to learn different techniques from different philosophies) and to pass written and practical tests conducted by the Chamber of Agriculture. I am quite fortunate to be one of two American Graduates of this school over the past 115 years. It is quite remarkable to realize that every German resident (even an American) has the opportunity to attend such schools (in most any trade) and not only receive an education, but also get paid to earn a living.

The face of German wine has been changing for the past few decades. There is more focus on organic and Biodynamic vineyard practices, which I was immersed in while apprenticing at Weingut Odinstal, one of the top Biodynamic wineries in Europe. It was there under Andreas Schumann that I learned how to execute the philosophies that I have admired for years –namely less intervention in the cellar, and more care and hard-work in the vineyard. This is the crux of the teachings of Hans-Günter Schwarz, perhaps Germany’s greatest winemaker, who has apprenticed many of the top winemakers in Germany including Andreas. I am fortunate to have gotten to know him during my time at Odinstal and proud to be part of his winemaking-tree.

After my graduation, armed to the teeth with knowledge and confidence we made the difficult decision to move again. I felt that in Germany I would be just another German-trained winemaker (of several thousand with more coming every year) so we started a nationwide search in the United States for a suitable climate and geology for the growing of the wines that I had worked with in the Pfalz (especially Riesling, but also Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc, Gewürztraminer, Silvaner etc.) Oregon was the only place that met all my criteria and the one with the most potential for Riesling. When I was in sales, I had visited the Willamette Valley and already knew I loved the region, the comradery within the Oregon wine industry and was in good company with the plethora of talented producers.

When we arrived in Oregon, I worked 2013 harvest at Brooks and started working with NW Vineyard services- farming other wineries vineyards. By early 2014 I was ready to start Paetra- we took the leap to produce Riesling in an area dominated by Pinot Noir and it has been the most rewarding journey so far. Thank you for your support of our family business and allowing us to do what we love. Giddyap winos!

Cheers-
The Hoopers

1 Like

A lot of Berserkers know how great Bill’s Rieslings are, but the Pinot Blanc is dynamite. Don’t sleep on it!

The Pinot Blanc was a stellar find for me last year. Great wine at a fantastic price point. Go Go Go!

1 Like

Consistently one of the best deals on BerserkerDay - absolutely.

Order tomorrow…this one is so worth it

1 Like

The pinot blanc was fabulous last year!

In for a case of the Pinot Blanc…that only leaves a paltry 99 cases for the rest of you. :slight_smile:
Seriously loved this find last year!

In for a case of Riesling! What a deal!

Bill and I have made wine next to each other since 2015 in a shared winemaking facility. His care and attention not only in the vineyard, but with each small lot ferment, each barrel, is pretty great to watch. He knows his wines intimately, and continues to produce wines of real purity. Elwetritsche is my JAM!

2 Likes

Thank you Scott! We are always so proud of this under-the-radar wine! I hope to see you soon!

1 Like

Thank you Astrid! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Bill deserves more love here. In for a case, always!

Thank you Heide!

Thank you so much, Todd! We very much appreciate WB!

Awesome Nate! Thank you. I hope you enjoy!

John, We appreciate your support as always! You probably have a pretty nice vertical going! Thank you so much!

Awww. Thanks Buddy! I will echo that sentiment for Suzor! See you soon

In for the Pinot Blanc - excited to try this!

1 Like

Just made a purchase really looking forward to the Riesling and the Pinot Blanc. First purchase of the day!

Echo everything Greg said! Since 2015? That is a F$%k load of Motley Crüe.

1 Like

Thank you Luke! The wine just finished up barrel fermentation last week. We’re very excited about this vintage!

1 Like