#201 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » June 17th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 1:27 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 1:13 pm
AndyK wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 12:13 pm

No. You're saying the same stupid thing with different words

/edit: I'm saying "stupid" because that's apparently ok based on c.fu's post. If I really told you what I think, I'd get banned

/edit2: Oh, and my previous comment was deleted, so you can guess what I said.
Andy, don’t hold back. Say what you really think. Send it as a PM if you like.
Just say it. "ALL lives matter."
This will be my last post on this topic, then back wine. I am definitely no racist. The lives of black persons do matter. I am heartsick about the plight of many black Americans. However, the BLM movement has been coopted by far-left anarchists. I am fatigued by my anger and disgust with this situation. I cannot be held responsible for, change what is in the hearts and minds of others. I’m not an activist, just an exasperated physician trying to benefit society in the only productive way I can. If any of you societal elitists think me a racist, or just another a-hole, that if okay. I sleep well knowing that I am a good person. Cheers.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Ever boycott a winery?

#202 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 17th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Cris Whetstone wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 9:14 am
I can never understand the push for economics to be considered before morals. Or even in place of them. That's a sort of bright light focus on the tenor of the times.

In nearly every case using the term "virtue signaling" is actual virtue signaling.
Whereas a boycott of one is not really much of a signal. Except to oneself, as David already pointed out.
If you insist on remaining on the most cynical side of things then sure. But effective boycotts take lots of 'ones' to work.

That's not what I was referencing with my comment though. The knee jerk response phrase passed around in certain media spheres of "virtue signaling" is a way of discounting a persons opinions and actions. It's effectively an adolescent finger pointing mechanism to undercut someone for caring about something the user of the phrase would wish was left ignored.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Markus S

#203 Post by Markus S » June 17th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Greg K wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 12:17 pm
... any mire than you are required to shut up and drink it.
Animal House might require this. [drinkers.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Brian Tuite » June 17th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Mark Mason wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:55 am
I also don't like when businesses feel compelled to state their political views, it seems they are going to upset at least 45% of their client base on any given topic. Even worse are the actors and singers that use their clout to push political agendas. "Shut up and dribble" makes sense to me.
To the contrary, the people with the biggest platform should be the ones speaking up because the message gets out there. It’s much harder to ignore them when they can reach so many with their message. People tend not to listen to the guy on the street corner holding a sign or the one with stuff plastered all over his property. Nope, they get written off as crazy people.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Kelly Flynn

#205 Post by Kelly Flynn » June 17th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 2:26 pm
Anton D wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:53 am
Kelly Flynn wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:36 am

Boycotting a company for a perceived political transgression is not likely to oust the CEO who made the decision, but it might well result in the loss of employment for the low-level staff that virtue signallers typically purport to champion.
Shut up and buy the wine, then?
Well, to play Devil’s Advocate to Kelly, if, as Chris alluded to, we put finance ahead of vitue in business then the most effective tool for altering a corporations decision making would be removing financial support.

If a market has many businesses supplying the consumer, and the wine industry does not lack for choices, removing financial support from a particular winery based upon the actions of executives will not hurt anyone at the lower levels so long as you spend the money in the same geographic wine region. The employees laid off at winery A due to slow sales wil be hired by winery B as your purchases increase their sales.
Yes Marcus, and that $100 bill you thought you found on the street was not real, because if it were it would have been picked up already. Because the market is that perfectly efficient.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Anton D » June 17th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 2:53 pm
Paul Miller wrote:
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:

However, the BLM movement has been coopted by far-left anarchists.
Yes, the arrests are showing us the very thing you mention. Far left anarchists.

_

Getting back to the topic at hand...

I am a defacto boycotter of Screaming Eagle, and all they imply.

I also disdain the Foley portfolio based on 'politics.'
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Greg K » June 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
I admit it, I laughed out loud.
Greg Kahn

Al Osterheld

#208 Post by Al Osterheld » June 17th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Can I say that I don't buy Pinot Noir in heavy bottles a third covered with red wax? But that's not a boycott, it's a response to an affection in the packaging that causes me to question the contents.

-Al

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Chris Seiber » June 17th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:03 am
Mstanford wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 7:49 am
Thanks Sean for the lecture on privilege...you are illustrating my point, exactly. I'm here for the wine conversation, not to hear you pontificate.

i'm sure you're an intelligent guy, i just don't feel like listening to it on a wine blog.
You can choose not to listen! It really is that easy! I also don't click on threads that don't interest me! I also skip over posts that I feel are people rhapsodizing about things I feel are silly or uninteresting.

But I question the logic of posting in them about how I don't feel like reading them.
By that logic, there need be no moderating at all on this board. Everyone just don't read things that they don't want to read. Don't be bothered by anything anyone says, just move on.

But we all know it doesn't really work that way, and where that would lead -- to the eventual demise of the board.

I agree this is better as a wine discussion board. You can find people screaming at each other about politics, pandemic, race, police, etc. a thousand other places. But you can't find the quality of wine discussion we have here hardly anywhere else. I hope we value that and preserve it.

Al Osterheld

#210 Post by Al Osterheld » June 17th, 2020, 3:48 pm

This board started out unmoderated. As it grew and the participation evolved, that didn't work as well and I also think the vision for the board changed. I consider it to now be lightly moderated.

The thing about moderation or even lack of moderation is that some people will not be 100% happy about it all the time. So, we all need to chill a bit and try to help make it work, which it mostly does.

-Al

Mel Hill

#211 Post by Mel Hill » June 17th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:49 pm
K Vintners and anything else with which Charles Smith is involved.

a Google search query of "Charles Smith Hospice du Rhone" will turn-up what I'm talking about.
Was there front and center and it was brutal! I think he figured out pretty quickly how bad he had made things and proceeded to purchase about 1/3 of the auction items later that day. This really did not make up for what he said to his female assistant, as there was no recovery possible.

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by Dan Kravitz » June 17th, 2020, 3:57 pm

I hate thread drift, but here I go back to the OP anyway [snort.gif] :

A long time ago I boycotted Gallo, because I did not agree with the way they treated some of their employees. That hurt, because gallons of Gallo Zinfandel (at the time, probably made from 100% old vine Sonoma juice) were a lot better than anything else I could afford. Then they made changes in the way they ran the business that allayed most of my concerns. Since then, I have enjoyed their wines on an infrequent but regular basis, most often the Sonoma Appellation Chards and Cabs, usually in restaurants.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Al Osterheld

#213 Post by Al Osterheld » June 17th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Charles Smith started off the seminar well by providing grower Champagne for everyone. It then took a turn to a one-man multimedia show with a moderator from a magazine targeted at millennials and dropped the comment about an assistant when there were technical issues. I think HdR was trying to appeal to a broader audience with this seminar, but definitely went sideways. I did like the Champagne, though, even got a second pour.

-Al

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 17th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:48 pm
This board started out unmoderated. As it grew and the participation evolved, that didn't work as well and I also think the vision for the board changed. I consider it to now be lightly moderated.

The thing about moderation or even lack of moderation is that some people will not be 100% happy about it all the time. So, we all need to chill a bit and try to help make it work, which it mostly does.

-Al
The only thing I disagree with here is that, in truth, NO ONE will be happy 100% of the time, and 100% of the people will be disgruntled a lot of the time.

This is a pretty depressing thread. People should make their own decisions, in this and in most other things. My own might not be entirely consistent or congruent with anyone else's but they don't have to be.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by Jay Miller » June 17th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Mel Knox wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Or a vendor got caught like Dominique Strauss Kahn, harassing a hotel worker ??
If so I'd hope people wait for all the facts to be known as in that case the prosecution dropped all charges due to the worker's multiple lies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_v._Strauss-Kahn
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Steve Costigan

#216 Post by Steve Costigan » June 17th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Sure there are businesses at which I won't spend a dime for various reasons. For me to give you the reasons would belong on the politics side (the asylum), which I now avoid like Gruner, and I'm not going to convince anyone.

I think it is unwise to boycott a business based only on the fact that an owner has a different opinion than mine. That's too self-righteous a standard unless the behavior (not his/her opinion) was completely egregious, but it's valid to boycott if the business gives material support to a social or political cause that I am completely opposed to.

But I think there is real danger to all of us when we become part of the social media mob, whether intentionally or sucked in. The mob is fickle (e.g. Roman Polanski was given a standing ovation at the Academy Awards....before me too). I am convinced most business that are increasingly socially active are doing so not for increasing profits, after all they may loose nearly as many customers as gaining by the positions they support, nor because of idealism, but are simply trying to avoid being crushed by the mob.

I'm with Jeff Rosenberg in the sense that I simply do not wish to be lectured to by any company with which I am in a customer relationship. I know which causes to support already and I'll choose who to be lectured by.
Last edited by Steve Costigan on June 17th, 2020, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Brennan

#217 Post by Jim Brennan » June 17th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:
I can never understand the push for economics to be considered before morals. Or even in place of them. That's a sort of bright light focus on the tenor of the times.

In nearly every case using the term "virtue signaling" is actual virtue signaling.
Whereas a boycott of one is not really much of a signal. Except to oneself, as David already pointed out.
If you insist on remaining on the most cynical side of things then sure. But effective boycotts take lots of 'ones' to work.

That's not what I was referencing with my comment though. The knee jerk response phrase passed around in certain media spheres of "virtue signaling" is a way of discounting a persons opinions and actions. It's effectively an adolescent finger pointing mechanism to undercut someone for caring about something the user of the phrase would wish was left ignored.
Sort of like how terms like "white privilege" work also. Intent, just like above, is to a priori disempower someone who might weigh in regarding a given topic.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by Alan Rath » June 17th, 2020, 4:56 pm

You may have to boycott Amazon as well:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/read-th ... eenth.html
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by AndyK » June 17th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Steve Costigan wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I'm with Jeff Rosenberg in the sense that I simply do not wish to be lectured to by any company with which I am in a customer relationship. I know which causes to support already and I'll choose who to be lectured by.
There's a difference between not wanting to be lectured by any company on things unrelated to your business relationship with them and boycotting that company for sending out an email in support of BLM. I wonder if Jeff Rosenberg has emailed Jeff Bezos by now...
k0berl

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Anton D » June 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:03 am
Mstanford wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 7:49 am
Thanks Sean for the lecture on privilege...you are illustrating my point, exactly. I'm here for the wine conversation, not to hear you pontificate.

i'm sure you're an intelligent guy, i just don't feel like listening to it on a wine blog.
You can choose not to listen! It really is that easy! I also don't click on threads that don't interest me! I also skip over posts that I feel are people rhapsodizing about things I feel are silly or uninteresting.

But I question the logic of posting in them about how I don't feel like reading them.
By that logic, there need be no moderating at all on this board. Everyone just don't read things that they don't want to read. Don't be bothered by anything anyone says, just move on.

But we all know it doesn't really work that way, and where that would lead -- to the eventual demise of the board.

I agree this is better as a wine discussion board. You can find people screaming at each other about politics, pandemic, race, police, etc. a thousand other places. But you can't find the quality of wine discussion we have here hardly anywhere else. I hope we value that and preserve it.
I went back over the past 1,000 threads on this forum and only 2 others had any straight up political content.

99.7% pure is pretty good and shouldn't be enough to make someone feel like he/she is having to wade through a bunch of political opinion to get to the wine talk.

If 0.3% is enough to qualify as the first domino leading to the demise of the wine content, then we face a dire future.

When it comes to skipping threads that seem like they might not be of interest, who doesn't do that? I mean, Port?
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

A.Gillette

#221 Post by A.Gillette » June 17th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:45 pm
Mel Knox wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Or a vendor got caught like Dominique Strauss Kahn, harassing a hotel worker ??
If so I'd hope people wait for all the facts to be known as in that case the prosecution dropped all charges due to the worker's multiple lies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_v._Strauss-Kahn
The link says he settled the civil suit for $1.5m...
Alex

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Siun o'Connell » June 17th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Having worked for twenty years in sustainability and corporate responsibility with a variety of major corporations(F100s), I've always advised that companies must understand that they do not operate in some bubble untouched by social and environmental concerns. Business success cannot be solely measured by financial results - in part because the social and environmental practices of a company inevitably impact the financial performance over the long term. Of course, simply having your PR team crank out a statement is meaningless - how you act is the measure. The Pax email is superb - informative, invites participation, and provides team members a way to contribute. How sad that someone would "boycott" over that and how embarrassing to admit to such.

And Pat, Frank, Sean ... thanks. Rich ... your need to devolve to insulting "humour" targeting women or gays just makes your limitations even more obvious.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Paul McCourt » June 17th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Greg K wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
This sums it up.

Back to deciding if I’m breaking my sworn oath not to buy ‘19 Bordeaux....
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by Dale Bowers » June 17th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 12:08 pm
Perhaps my original reply to this topic (#5) would have better been stated as follows: An certain winery sent an unsolicited email supporting a social activist movement that has become divisive and politically volatile. As my email address was provided for business purposes only, I was annoyed and asked to be removed from their database. They obliged and I am no longer a customer.

There. Is that better
Jeff,

I see the moderators have removed my original post that called you a racist. I’m okay with that. You’re right I don’t know you. Nevertheless, if the Email (it’s not like he called you on your phone) from Pax offering support and information about BLM so offended you that you have decided to boycott them, then I stand by my original post.
Alternatively, if a blast email supporting BLM has you so upset may I suggest some Sertoline as you are definitely wound way too tight and have my sympathies.
Cheers!

A G Aguirre
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by A G Aguirre » June 17th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:

This will be my last post on this topic, then back wine. I am definitely no racist. The lives of black persons do matter. I am heartsick about the plight of many black Americans. However, the BLM movement has been coopted by far-left anarchists. I am fatigued by my anger and disgust with this situation. I cannot be held responsible for, change what is in the hearts and minds of others. I’m not an activist, just an exasperated physician trying to benefit society in the only productive way I can. If any of you societal elitists think me a racist, or just another a-hole, that if okay. I sleep well knowing that I am a good person. Cheers.
I always find it interesting when well-educated, well-off individuals feel that their status puts them above the fray. As if by being a well-to-do physician you’ve done your part. The truth is, your responsibility to society doesn’t begin or end with your job. It would be wasteful not to intellectually engage with what is happening in your country and truly understand what ails it. The work and the study doesn’t just stop when you reach some arbitrary personal milestones. Your assertion that BLM has been co-opted by “far-left anarchists” betrays your lack of engagement and consideration of the issues at hand here. Everybody putting their heads in the sand is anarchy. Throwing your hands up and effectively ignoring the problem when it gets messy is not the basis of a civil or democratic society. Hell, I’ll take protest and righteous anger any day over that.

It’s certainly your right to do nothing and get upset when others try their best to address injustice. It’s a real bummer, though.

As far as the actual topic at hand, yes, I do make wine decisions based on personal experiences, political stances and environmental choices. Not always consistently (the work never ends), but I try. It may not make a huge difference, but I want to have as much confidence as possible in the totally discretionary luxury goods I partake in with friends and family.
@rturo

Arv R

#226 Post by Arv R » June 17th, 2020, 6:37 pm

John A Hunt wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:52 am
How can any American justify a Japanese car following an unprovoked attack on the USN? Or is it just people with personal experience that are expected to recoil?

Each consumer makes their own decision, right?
Our two "Japanese" cars were made in Marysville OH, and Lincoln AL.

Radio speaks American too!
R_@_0

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#227 Post by Paul Miller » June 17th, 2020, 6:47 pm

I just ordered more from Pax. #BLM

Markus S

#228 Post by Markus S » June 17th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Silly thing to boycott over. If you want to boycott Amazon, do so for the way small retail got decimated and how they treat businesses captive to their platform.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#229 Post by Markus S » June 17th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Anton D wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I mean, Port?

HEY! [stirthepothal.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#230 Post by Mel Knox » June 17th, 2020, 7:02 pm

The DSK story is complicated and I just used it as a hypothetical. What was it they said, His favorite drink was Minute Maid, that he was unsuitable to be French president but perfect for Italy?? I can't imagine anyone in the wine industry harassing a hotel maid. Just impossible.

Interesting that after the war there was a lot of anti Japanese feeling that lingered so long, but not so much with Germany, Italy and Hungary,
ITB

Christian Obermanns
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by Christian Obermanns » June 17th, 2020, 7:24 pm

More Pax for the rest of us!

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
AndyK wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 12:08 pm
Perhaps my original reply to this topic (#5) would have better been stated as follows: An certain winery sent an unsolicited email supporting a social activist movement that has become divisive and politically volatile. As my email address was provided for business purposes only, I was annoyed and asked to be removed from their database. They obliged and I am no longer a customer.

There. Is that better?
No. You're saying the same stupid thing with different words

/edit: I'm saying "stupid" because that's apparently ok based on c.fu's post. If I really told you what I think, I'd get banned

/edit2: Oh, and my previous comment was deleted, so you can guess what I said.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#232 Post by Rick Allen » June 17th, 2020, 7:33 pm

My Mom was a witness to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. She refused to ever buy a Japanese or German car.

YLee

#233 Post by YLee » June 17th, 2020, 7:39 pm

I wont be buying any Liquid Farm wines.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#234 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 17th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:

Sorry Chris, my post was meant more as a humorous add on, not a contradiction of your post.

As I noted in my previous post-I boycott Amazon at a personal level and don’t spend time running around broadcasting it. I have never used the term “virtue signaling” in my life-other than here in this thread.

I suspect there may be another side to use the term than your definition, but it wasn’t in my intention to put any spin on it other than to point out that personal boycotts can hardly be called virtue signaling.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#235 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Markus S wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Silly thing to boycott over. If you want to boycott Amazon, do so for the way small retail got decimated and how they treat businesses captive to their platform.
I’m open to whichever. But I did start my boycott of Amazon to keep my money in my community, which is less a boycott and more a choice. It solidified into a boycott when I became aware of some of the other issues.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#236 Post by Wes Barton » June 17th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:

Oh, BS! Far-right propaganda may want to tarnish a broad movement about basic human decency by holding up some extremists on the fringe and doing their Chicken Little routine. Apparently you got suckered in to the degree you got triggered by some benign email. Here you're rationalizing staying out of a movement that your heart would have you a part of. That's what's wrong with our country right now. People are manipulating and turning us against each other and against issues we would normally be together on. Divide and Conquer.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#237 Post by larry schaffer » June 17th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Late to the party - but I gotta say that this has been one interesting thread . . .

I know that there are wineries that some decide not to purchase from for one reason or another, but the idea of 'boycotting' is something entirely different IMHO. In that case, folks are extra vocal about not supporting a company and it's products, not just simply 'not purchasing them'.

There are certainly some products and wineries I choose not to purchase from, either because of bad experiences with them or for other personal reasons. Boycotting? Nope - unless something is so horrible that it's clear one should not support them.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by Mel Knox » June 17th, 2020, 9:07 pm

What did the farmers of liquid do??
ITB

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#239 Post by Bryan Price » June 17th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Anton D wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:30 pm
Lee Braem wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Ditto on Constellation/Mondavi - because of dishonesty on To Kalon.
I tend to move on from wineries that get purchased by the corporations.

I admire the work they put in and am happy for their success, but I then want to change my support to owner operated wineries.
Exactly this. It's not like I search out this information either, but once I find it out it lessens my enjoyment of the wine.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

David Baum

#240 Post by David Baum » June 17th, 2020, 9:24 pm

My goal is to boycott all of them this month

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#241 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » June 17th, 2020, 9:28 pm

This thread is unfortunate and I hope it gets cleaned up a lot since it apparently won't be moved. As a day one member of Wine Berserkers who worked in (and lived and breathed) national politics for many years, I don't think I've ever posted about my political beliefs here in over 10 years. I believe wine geekdom appeals to the better angels of our nature and this thread is a disappointing reminder of why Wine Talk should remain exclusively focused on wine.

The manner in which people express themselves politically says a lot about who they are as people and businesspeople. That's far more important to me. I'm much more willing to support someone with differing viewpoints who expresses themselves thoughtfully and respectfully than I am a toxic *sshole who I may agree with in principle.
IG: davidswine

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by Anton D » June 17th, 2020, 10:14 pm

David Baum wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 9:24 pm
Hell, you guys attacked Santa.
Anton Dotson

David Baum

#243 Post by David Baum » June 17th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Anton D wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:14 pm
David Baum wrote:
He had it comin'

R. Somerville

#244 Post by R. Somerville » June 18th, 2020, 2:09 am

Siun o'Connell wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 5:12 pm
Rich ... your need to devolve to insulting "humour" targeting women or gays just makes your limitations even more obvious.
For the record, I did NOT target homosexuals - that was a MODERATOR edit, not mine. That we don't all share the same humour is entirely another argument - perhaps the limitations are of others making, not mine.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#245 Post by CJ Beazley » June 18th, 2020, 4:42 am

Greg K wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
All you need to know, right there.
It's C(raig)

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by Anton D » June 18th, 2020, 6:42 am

David Baum wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 11:40 pm
Anton D wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:14 pm
David Baum wrote:
He had it comin'
I am happy I know you. [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

JBucholz

#247 Post by JBucholz » June 18th, 2020, 7:37 am

It saddens me that politics has become such a team sport. It’s not enough any more to simply root for your team. You also have to actively declare your hatred for your rival.
J 1 m B u c h 0 l 2

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by R M Kriete » June 18th, 2020, 8:22 am

Dale Bowers wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:17 pm
[

Jeff,

I see the moderators have removed my original post that called you a racist. I’m okay with that. You’re right I don’t know you. Nevertheless, if the Email (it’s not like he called you on your phone) from Pax offering support and information about BLM so offended you that you have decided to boycott them, then I stand by my original post.
Doubling down on calling someone a racist....even after the moderators removed it. Wow!

Look at this thread where we've seen people give passes to pedophiles and child abusers. I dare say most people would rather have their picture published in the paper arrested for DUI than be publicly labeled a racist. In this country, at this time, there is nothing more damaging than to call someone a racist. If you are going to hurl that nuclear bomb of accusation at someone, you'd better be pretty darn positive.

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#249 Post by Bryan Price » June 18th, 2020, 8:37 am

R M Kriete wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:59 am
It was only 6 weeks ago, in the midst of the COVID crisis, the prevailing attitude was: We are all in this together. Regardless of our political beliefs, we are all Americans first. The police and other first responders were considered heroes.

Now, Conservatives are again just racists. Liberals are again protesting, looting communists. The police are unredeemable jackboots.

Thank goodness we have this thread to allow us to get back to doing what we Americans do best: Identify and pillory anyone with whom we disagree. Glad everything is back to normal
This hits home with me. My father leans more conservative and the rest of my family is liberal, and they've been unable to have a calm, rational discussion about it for years. It's been thoroughly uncomfortable going back to Bush's election.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#250 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 18th, 2020, 9:04 am

I really hope the idea of Equal Rights and Protections under the law is not a "political" topic to folks here. Same with the topic of racism.

Those shouldn't be "political" topics.

Take a moment to consider the implications of the scenario in which they *are* considered "political" topics.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Return to “Wine Talk”