10 bottles of '88 Pol Roger Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill

Mark didn’t post the WineBid links - some of you need to settle down here. Someone went searching FOR them, to post

I know that if this is representative of the products on Winebid, count me out.
And yes, I think the color of that wine is off–WAY off, even for a cell phone pic.

Did I say you posted the link from Winebid?

If he was putting them on winebid because he thought they were compromised, do you really think he’d post pictures of the off-color bottle here? Or save another for his friends b-day?

Tough call for Mark, although the right thing to do might be to open the 2nd bottle and check the condition, maybe with another taster to give a second opinion. If its thought to be off, he should warn Winebid.

I think its a very long shot that he’d post this note in the hopes that the buyer would see it and put two and two together. Its not like this is a super rare bottle without other tasting notes.

Todd & Chris, thank you for bringing some much needed sanity to the table. I find it utterly hysterical how worked up some people are getting over a few bottles of wine.

Ron, I believe you said I posted a thread/tasting note after the wines hit Winebid. That’s not true. If I misinterpretted what you said, I apologize.

some people be like:
[swearing.gif]

and I just be like:

I laughed at the reminder. ERP days when the ‘angry’ men would post on the rare & amazing bottles consumed at their crazy dinners with Kapon, only to have the same wines show up a week or month later at auction. Not suggesting the same motives here, just a funny reminder.
Certainly more subtle with their trolling.

I don’t see why someone can’t buy on retail and flip. Tons of people flip wines on commerce corner.

Also not sure what being a winebid purchaser has any impact on that. I think more people should be discussing winebid’s lack of due diligence. This isn’t the first time or the last time we have discussed wine bid’s short comings with bottle conditions.

Dude, when did you get made a “Moderator”? Congrats on the promo!

Exactly why I have never purchased from Winebid and never will.

All I do is make people use real names. :wink:

Nor the first nor last discussion about sellers offering wines to winebid that they wouldn’t sell their friends. I wouldn’t expect much more after the Montrachet theft. Ignore is actually a pain on this board, but I managed to type all those characters. Now, if you guys would do me the favor of not quoting him, my aneurysm will chill out.

Totally different though. Barry was just commenting on buying and flipping. I agree with all your other points as always doc.

This is absolute bullshit. The wines didn’t ‘go to auction last night’ as it takes a week or more to send them to auction, have them inspected and then listed, yet there are bids as of 10/19 (i.e. last night). So you sent them to auction some time ago, i.e. after you were told this is advanced. You are a scam artist, after this and the Montrachet sale, and IMO you were not the ‘original purchaser’ some 20+ years after release. You were what, six years old at release? I grant you it doesn’t say you purchased at release, just that you were the ‘original purchaser’, to which I call bullshit again. Back on ignore you go.

We already discussed why it’s completely plausible how he would be the original purchaser. Is it taking advantage of the terminology? Absolutely. But it’s still true.

Once again. I don’t understand why winebid isnt being put to task as well. Mark has to drop off the wines. Anyone that looks as him knows he’s young and couldn’t have purchased it on release. So winebid is willingly putting up with the charade and twisting the terminology of “original purchaser”

Plausible? Sure. Likely, NFW. No wine shop I know has this wine (BTW my favorite Champagne ever) sitting around for 20+ years unsold, just waiting for some young dude to come in asking to buy it, probably for pennies on the dollar. They could have sold it in a NY minute.

It’s not ‘still true’, it’s only plausibly true if you believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus.

The reason it’s still there is because it isn’t a wine shop we know.

Three years ago I found a 1929 chateau de la tour clos vougeut sitting in a wine shop. One of the first restaurants in my city (restaurant was opened in the early 30’s) had purchased it as near as release it could be and it was never sold. As the restaurant changed hands and went through its iterations the wine cellar stayed there.

Sat in this wine shop for eight years after the restaurant went down as the owner of the most current restaurant (opened in the 60s)and shop were one and the same

Crazy as it sounds, I was the first non itb purchaser of the wine. They didn’t even want to sell it to me cause they said they had it for so long and thought I’d want to return it. Sold it to me for a crazy $200 cash. I went to the bank as fast as I could.

I certainly haven’t had the luck that mark has had, but I’ve definitely found some stuff. I found 6 bottles of 90 Dom last year at a liquor store with a nice layer of dust on it. Sold it to me for $40 a piece. Of course all completely shot as it was in Los angeles… With no underground cooling. I think if you have the due diligence to go through this old mom and pop liquor stores, you’ll find these things.

But like you alluded to chuck. A liquor store that has had this sitting around for that long, probably didn’t have optimal storage conditions. That’s a whole separate issue that I don’t agree with mark and winebid on

Charlie, I’d argue that just because you were the first ‘non ITB’ puchaser doesn’t mean you were the ‘original purchaser’. And, I doubt you put the other 5 bottles of your $40 1990 Dom up for auction. Because my sense is you have integrity.

Then who is the original purchaser? If it’s the distributor/store than are any of us actually ever original purchasers unless we buy at the winery door?

I think we are getting into “lawyering” vs the spirit of the notion. In high-end wine, I think “original purchaser” IMPLIES bought on release and owned by one person. This is a lousy way of offering “perfect provenance.” As we see here, “original purchaser” could be “guy with too much spare time (what Fu calls due diligence time!) roams around looking for wine in variable storage conditions, long since forgotten, to buy, try, and flip, regardless of what the quality acutally is.” I am not sure why anyone buys from WineBid after that “Faiveley Moose I found on Storage Wars” lady. If anyone has her number, I am sure she and Mark would be soulmates.