1952 Borgogno Help

A Porcini & Parmesan Risotto would be perfect and works well as a small bite.

1 Like

A classic pairing with old Barolo is Parmigiano Reggiano and warm walnuts. Those old Borgogno Barolos are wonderful.

1 Like

I had a '47 not too long ago. I thought it was lovely on its own, really just wanted to take in the nuance of a wine that old.

I think any cured meats would work well (My friends who shared the '47 were snacking on prosciutto…), or something mushroom-y.

I also think a steak would work fine, FWIW.

1 Like

I agree with all of the pairing recs above. I’ve typically served my old Borgognos with a truffle dish.

Here’s my unsolicited wine prep comment, which you probably already know as it’s been posted before. I stand them up for more than a week, but you don’t have that option, so a week it is. I decant them carefully over a candle or a light many hours before serving. I stop pouring as soon as I see the sediment. Sometimes, I’ll leave 1/4 of the bottle, as IMO it’s better to have 3/4 of a bottle of clear old nebbiolo than a full serving of cloudy. The sediment in old nebbiolo is nasty and can ruin the experience. I then rinse the bottle with water, then distilled water, then try to shake out the water, then refill the bottle with the decanted wine. That way, if you have to travel, you don’t have to worry about shaking up the nasty sediment.

I have several of the 52’s, as well as many others from the 50’s, 60’s 70’ and 80’s. I hope yours shows well; I’ve yet to open a 1952. Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Cheers,
Warren

3 Likes

Ultimately I’ve decided to open the bottle when they get here, about 30 minutes before dinner. Pour into decanter and then into glasses about 15 minutes before dinner. That way we can try before dinner, and then sip it during (we’re having NY Strip with mushrooms). Will update you all on how it goes. Definitely wish I’d prepared more in advance, but I’m hoping a week of settling will be okay.

1 Like

Played out well, thank you all again for the advice.

Opened the bottle with a normal corkscrew, top 2/3 broke and pulled out. Used an ah so on the last 1/3, but it was pushing the remainder into the bottle. Ended up coming in at an angle with the corkscrew and pulling the remaining 1/3 out slowly. Success!

Poured about 2.5-3 full glasses into a decanter before starting to see sediment. Ultimately got another half glass or so with a bit of sediment before whipping out some coffee filters (should’ve gotten cheese cloth ahead of time) - drank that towards the end of the night. As noted the sediment was ultra fine. It looked like whispy clouds snaking towards the mouth of the bottle.

Wine was in the decanter for about 5 minutes before pouring, we all tried it right then. It was nice, but a little muted and maybe acid heavy, so ended up sipping over an hour or so. Probably about 20-30 minutes in it was showing some beautiful cherry - definitely stood out as I was expecting much more tertiary flavors. I can’t believe this was a red cap, or original release that hadn’t been topped up per Ken V. Really nice balance and acidity. Incredibly smooth. About an hour in it started to show something like baking spice. The color was a limpid red, reminded me of a dull strawberry.

I’d say not in its prime, but still drinking very well and worth every last penny plus some for the experience. 10/10 would do again (for any special occasion I could justify it).

4 Likes

Max,

Well done, it sounds like a fantastic experience. Good job with the old cork too. The waiters’ corkscrew and the Ah so work symbiotically if you start with the worm then put the ah so around it; a homemade Durand.
I’ve found the old Nebbiolos are unique in that the sediment negatively impacts the wine and is too fine to filter. Also, these wines tolerate and even require a lot of air, which would kill most other old wines.
Cheers!
Warren

1 Like

Old Meursault?

It was apparantly a “Regulare” vintage

Claus,

That’s a great link; thanks. Here’s another covering Angelo Gaja’s take on '58-'11.

Cheers,
Warren

I actually emailed Borgogno and they passed me on to this site covering Barolo vintages in general: https://www.enotecadelbarolo.it/il-barolo/le-annate-migliori/

Actually want to bump this…Scott at Lopa just emailed another Borgogno Riserve offering…1947, 1958, 1961, and 1964…If I could figure out how to repost the email, I would…I’m a tech idiot.

1 Like