1971 recommendations?

1971 was a nearly-perfect year for Germany, and it doesn’t even need to be a top name or Riesling. Basically, 1971 was for Germany what 1945 was for Bdx. Just as the 1945 Croizet-Bages was still a compelling wine two years ago, a 1971 Eugen Wirth Niersteiner Klostergarten Morio-Muskat (!) Auslese was quite impressive in 2017. I bought the latter bottle at auction thinking it was a Riesling, and it was all the more memorable coming from arguably the worst German crossing and a rather nondescript site. (I’ve had a couple of exceptional Rieslings from Eugen Wirth from the original Niersteiner Rehbach, so they were certainly capable of making excellent wines in top years.) Stay away from the gross"lagen" like Zeller Schwartz Katz, Niersteiner Gutel Domtal, Piesporter Michelsberg, etc., but otherwise, any well-stored German wine from 1971 is worth a try, even from a lesser grape (these were the days when sugar was more important than site in the letter of the law).

The 1971 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese #21 is the absolute greatest white wine that I’ve ever had. I’ve also had the 1971 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger BA, but the Spätlese was just a perfect, seamlesss fusion of fruit, minerality, acidity, concentration, and finesse.

Some late-released 1971 Auslesen from J.B. Becker were released a few years back, and may still be available these days for less than a Müller or Prüm. If so, don’t hesitate to buy a bottle.

Outside of Germany, the 1971 Monsanto Riserva Il Poggio is the greatest Chianti I’ve ever had. And as much as I’ve enjoyed the 1971 Brane-Cantenac as an affordable, excellent example of old-school, built to last Margaux, my opinion of this wine seems to be higher than most.

1 Like

Had a '71 Pichon Lalande recently which showed really well.

1 Like

Rudy can assist in procuring