1971 wine - what to look for?

Yes, I’ve had good luck with '71 Piedmont even from lesser known/regarded producers (Barisone, Anforio, Ratti, Borgogno, etc). I’d check in with Jamie at Chambers St as to what they have/expect.

71 RB Bdx can be great, many push price envelope, but I’ve had solid showings from Canon. In Graves I’ve liked DDC for a fraction of HBrion price. Not as much luck with Medoc, but Ducru was good a few years ago,.

Those are too young! :grinning: Pinon’s 1971 Vouvrays are very good too.

I agree to seek German Rieslings for better QPRs.
I will attest to the quality of the 1971 DRC RC, La T and Richebourg as I drank way more than my fair share, literally cases. Today they are out of reach for most of us.
Sauterne, Barolo and Barbaresco are your next best alternatives.
1971 Cabs are very tired at this point.

This.

I had a 1971 Huet recently that was drinking perfectly and will last forever. Even though it was a Moelleux, the residual sugar has receded a lot and it drank much more like a Demi-Sec. Huet released a ton of old vintages from it’s cellars maybe 10 years ago, so finding good bottles with provenance is not as hard as some other regions.

Similar to the comments above, Germany and Piemonte were also GREAT vintages, and I’ve had many great wines from both. And the upside is they are inexpensive relative to Burgundy.

I’ve had several excellent bottles of 1971 Vieux Ch Certan.

Phelps.
The old Napa bottlings are pretty tasty.
Best, Jim

Without a doubt - '71 was a sought-after vintage the last few years, and the market really has depleted as a result (for all Napa Cabs)

Do anything you can to source Ridge Eisele and Ridge Montebello. Amazing wines, but I have not tasted them for probably 8 years. Chappelett may be easier to source, and not quite as magnificent, but I had it maybe 7 years ago and it was excellent.

71 mb is like $2000 now… probably bdx would be a better buy. 71 latour and mouton are 4-700/btl

I was looking for bottles from 71 and able to get some borolo from one of Envoyers cellar offers. I suggest you sign up for their emails if you haven’t already. It at least provides another possible purchase source.

Chappellet maybe the only 71 Cal Cab on CT with recent tasting notes which indicate a perfectly stored bottle may be decent, but price and availability are issues.
The Wine Market Journal listing is from 2018 or earlier and the last retail on WS was about twice the OP upper price range.

I understand folks want a 50 year old bottle, CA Cabs are probably not the best choice, pretty much regardless of price.

I also need to buy a bottle of 71-needs to be a white (and not bubbles). Any suggestions on where to buy?? I live on Long Island in NY

Has anyone here ever ordered from Chateau.com? It’s in France, but looks like they ship internationally (about $50 for 3 bottles, not much more for 6.) They have a dozen different '71s. Not sure if that would be a problem with customs, etc - I’ve never ordered wine from a different country.

I’ve had a few very good bottles of '71 Vieux Chateau Certan (and I still have some more cellared).

Climens is half the price, or less, and is still top notch. Sounds like the OP wants red, though. Bordeaux will be more worth the gamble than CA Cab.

Domaine Leroy has quite a few '71s in Stock stateside - Those are always a pretty safe bet -

Is there an emoji for rubbing thumb and fingers together?

Roger Shideler

No Limit Fine Wines

707-894-9900

Just received an email from him. Tons of '71 German wines.

No affiliation. Bought wine from him once which went very smoothly.

Drank a lot of 1971 BV Private Reserve. Nice but probably faded now.