1974 Heitz Martha's, unopened case

Well, if the case belonged to me, prices would probably be more in that ballpark;)
We still sell '74s at Augustine in the $1K-$1400 range, usually at $1K, but we’ve had to change the policy and ask that the bottle be consumed
on premises we’ve had a few dudes flip them, which really isn’t the idea.
But…I do have a nice '74 we’re planning to pour BTG at our next anniversary party:)

Apologies for delay in returning PMs and emails- traveling all day, will respond as soon as I have a chance.
Thanks for patience

Fresh data point - a single bottle fetched $1,876 at K&L today: https://m.klwines.com/Auction/BidDetail/1555592

1 Like

The more I think about this the more sure I am that someone who has some personal attachment to this wine or this vintage (1974 birth year?) will pay $30,000, if not more, for this case. It’s a unique offering, unlikely to be seen again.

The case was opened yesterday for the first time since it left the winery.

“Case #4” was shipped to the owner on February 6th, 1979 directly from Heitz (this was the last of four cases that were purchased by the owner at that time).
Thirty four bottles had been drank and there are still two loose bottles left.

Sequential serial numbers: 30443 → 30454.
Perfect capsules and labels.
Four top shoulder levels and eight very top shoulder/base neck/into the neck levels.

Thank you David for bringing this to Commerce Corner.

2 Likes

so cool. what about the 75s???

Was wondering and hoping someone from the forum would end up with it. Good for you Patrick! Sounds like you got yourself a true gem.

Congrats! I drank bottle 30689 and it was just about perfect! [cheers.gif]

Congratulations Patrick that is a once in a lifetime score, and David for bringing it here that’s pretty cool.

You should have live-streamed that opening of the case :slight_smile: (and popped a bottle!)

How many more years does the wine have left in it at peak would you think?

Oh wow, congratulations! Any pics you can share?

Like someone up thread said, this is my “must try” birth year wine. #1 on my hit list. I’ll keep hunting. champagne.gif