1990 Montrose just passed $1,000 a bottle

Wow. I think someone was slightly miffed (at the level of the wine) when I poured a Leroy Bourgone with a 1st course at a dinner party

She declassified all her wines in 2004, so the Bourgogne contains a lot more than village juice. It’s an anomaly - not saying it’s worth the 4-figure price tag, but that’s the reason for it.

You’re over your skis on this one - '04 Leroy Bourgogne is nothing like other vintages of the wine.

And it was declassified because…the wine was not good enough to be single climat designated. It was a problem year. My skiis are firmly on. You can get 2000 Leroy Beau Monts for about the same price, or other 1er Vosne Leroy wines for a grand. Why would you buy a blended pinot from Burgundy for gods sake! If I want blends that will obscure terroir I can buy from California.

I’m moving remaining '90 Montrose to the sell pile. Not worth 1k IMO.

I think rich people overpay for the 04 Leroy Bourgogne because it’s like a party trick – serve a humble Bourgogne, someone mentions it, you smirk and say this is the famous THOUSAND DOLLAR Bourgogne, unique in the world!

I’ve had both the 1989 and 1990 Montrose side by side on numerous occasions. I think the 1990 is slightly better now, but in 25 years that will reverse. But they’re both magnificent wines with tremendous upside even now, 30+ years in.

Fortunately, my IWFS branch bought five cases of each en prim at about $300 a case for the branch cellar. That worked out well I guess. champagne.gif

Those were my bottles. I bought them for $55/bottle and they hammered at $2,000/bottle. I’m mad I drank 4 bottles from that case! It tastes like dill pickle juice to me. But I seem to have picked a great time to sell! My magical power is turning wine into a car! [snort.gif]

1 Like

you’re back!

champagne.gif

Just popped in to see if anyone talked about the craziness of my Leroy. Life has been extremely busy. I don’t recommend trying to help a first-grader do school via Zoom. [pwn.gif]

I hope you are doing well! Maybe I can hang out here more once life settles back down.

Not if they keep buying at these prices. :rofl:

So you took the price tag off? Pity.

that’d be great. But I got news—life will never settle down. Just make it happen

So, I was supposed to have a case of the '90 Montrose bought en primeur from Calvert Woodley in DC. Turned out they ordered via somebody in Michigan (?) who was running basically a Ponzi scheme, with profits going up his nose. Then, the music stopped with bad vintages in '91 and '92. Calvert Woodley got left holding the bag, along with their customers, as the intermediary couldn’t deliver the wine. I ended up with 3 bottles and some store credit; CW almost went bankrupt trying to make (somewhat) good on their obligations.

My bottle are now in a friend’s cellar 1000 miles from me; guess I need to get those bottles back!

I ordered 6 bottles and got one from them.

I don’t think there was a tag on it; I think they just saw the word ‘bourgogne’ and made assumptions

Well, I think things will greatly improve when the kid goes back to school on campus and the hubby goes back to teaching on campus as well. I look forward to a quiet house once again! Things will also be a lot better once the kid can finally get his Covid vaccine.