1995 Chateau Musar

It was an interesting interview. Listing through close to all episodes over the years and have felt for quite some time the importance of Levi’s interviews.

Tremendous insights on both wine/winemaking as well as personal level. In my opinion there is nothing else out that comes close for those truly interested about wine in depth.

As time pass and the influential wine related persons sadly pass away, I’ll drink to that becomes the (best) reference point in many cases and a memory of their experiences and life stories. The last 6 months is (unfortunately) a testament to that with the great wine writes referencing the podcast.

Of course the format plays an important role, but not sure if/who anyone could do it better than Levi with his natural curiosity coupled with knowledge.

1 Like

FWIW I’ve had the 1998, 1999, 2000 trio in recent months and enjoyed all three. The 2000 was gorgeously high-toned but almost too volatile, the 1999 is my favorite though in a more conventional style (darker and richer), and the 1998 is a nice compromise between the two

But they all pale in comparison to a 1991 that a fellow Berserker generously poured for me [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I went through a fair amount of the 1991 back in the day. None left unfortunately. Fantastic vintage but I think the 1999 is its equal

Didn’t get anything in the 2000 that said volatile back in June. I’m sure there’s a lot of variation between bottles in addition to how you consume it. (aka pop n pour, Audouzed :wink:, decanted etc)

The ‘91 is definitely one of the vintages I’ve enjoyed, but you want “blow the doors off good” it’s the ‘81 or ‘86. Those wines still haunt me every time I open an older Musar…

Until then, I guess I’ll just keep chasing the ghosts of those wines.

Wow! I’m envious. My white whale is the 1984, which I hear is vanishingly rare even among older Musar vintages…

It is, and it’s a singular expression of Musar. While not a favorite of mine, it’s clearly Musar, and yes, as you noted…it’s quite rare. The story (as I recall, which may not be quite right) was that they were able to get the harvest onto ships & put the grapes out to sea during the war that year. The grapes stayed out on the sea, on a ship, for over a month past harvest (think something akin to Passito). When the grapes made it into the winery a very strict selection of grapes was made, and what they had was enough to make 3ish barrels of wine. When I spoke with Serge about it I believe he said there were a little less than 900 bottles of that vintage that they decided were finally ready for release back in 2013/2014ish. It’s certainly rare, and a unicorn wine for Musar lovers…but I’d take a 1981, '83, '86, or '88 over the 1984 every time.

First time I’m hearing it in this detail. What a story!

This should be taken with a grain of salt. I might be miss-remembering. I have been lucky enough to taste wines for several years with a friend, Hago has probably forgotten more about Musar than I know having consumed maybe 15-20 cases of these wines over the last 15ish years. Hago is a friend of B. Broadbent, and I learn something new from him & Scott every time we taste together. I’m pretty sure it was at a 17 vintage vertical of Musar (that included the 1984) where Hago shared this…either there, or a tasting with Serge in Boston a year or two before he passed away.
8DC3821F-9579-4295-9670-12435F1DF15F.jpeg

1 Like

That great bottle of 1981 we had together was one of the greatest, most memorable wines I’ve had. Not just one of the best Musars, one of the best wines.

For me, after having had several vintages, it’s still the top of the mountain for Musar…and probably one of the top 10-25 wines of my life.

bought that 99 red this week. Will try soon. Need to let it settle.

here’s the list from the local Mediterranean place where I grabbed a 99, but paid $90 for it.
C9E944EF-1B06-4576-A83C-5BBA3D5A9F33.jpeg

1 Like

Is it Rosine’s?

yes

That’s an impressive vertical list…and the prices are amazing. I’d be eating there as often as I could if the food is authentic. These were such a value and the price has still stayed reasonable with the changing of the guard, with is nice.

This has me reminiscing about one of my earliest blow-the-doors-off-good wine experiences. In the mid 80s I was drinking CA cabs, and this small natural-foods grocer in Durham (later bought by WF) had a nice selection of cheap, offbeat, good wines that included 1977 Musar. It was aged and volatile, explosively almost liqueurously generous, and had what seemed like a tablespoon of gritty sediment in the bottle. I think it was like $15.99, and I would go back every week and get bottle after bottle until they were gone. It was a significant influence, for starting me to look beyond California, and for the natural-wine wild thing.

I owe my love for Musar almost entirely to Greg dal Piaz who opened 2 vintages at one of the early NYC WLDG offlines. IIRC they were two vintages from the '80s (this would have been around 1999 or 2000) and they were fascinating and wonderful.

Vaccinated offline at Rosine’s seems in order.

Crossing over to the old timers thread, I started drinking Musar in the 1980s, with wines from the 1970s, when Musar was touted as the world’s best wine under £5.