1997 Anniversary Wines - Recommendations?

Hart Davis Hart

Great Ports. Both Vintage and Colheita. Noval did very, very well. Douro table wines, if you can find them, are also terrific.

Further to this comment, 1997 La Chapelle isn’t one of the all-time great La Chapelles, but it’s an excellent wine and was delicious when I opened a bottle a couple of years ago. I would certainly include it in any 1997 anniversary collection.

If you both enjoy sweet wines, you could take a look at Sauternes/Barsac and see if anything appeals to you.

Thank you! I saw a couple 375’s available on several auction sites

375’s are a great choice with these wines. Good luck.

Although 1997 Tuscany may been overrated upon sellers/critics comments upon release, they are probably one of the better/safer buys for someone looking for anniversary wines today. The hype has been deburred, and the wines are likely to be ok or better. I had a delicous (on day#1) 97 Vino Nobile de Montepuliciano last week, a most pleasant surprise.

I missed it if a couple of syrah from Northern Rhone have already been suggested.

In any case, I’ll add ‘97 Chave Hermitage and ‘97 Jamet Cote Rotie.

To add to what others have already written:

Loire reds and dessert whites are very good. (The dry whites may be ok although they tended to higher alcohol.) Except for Rougeard the reds (from the usual suspects on the separate thread on Loire reds) are still not expensive if you can find them. Neither are the dessert wines, even the Huet Vouvray 1er Tries and Cuvee Constance from what I’ve seen and for what you get.

1997 Chablis has turned out way better than anyone expected. Dauvissats are singing now if you can find a well stored bottle of Premier or Grand Cru. I didn’t have a premox problem with these. Now all gone.

1997 was killer in the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer as mentioned above. Von Schubert, Prum, Schaefer, Selbach-Oster. Donnhoff in the Nahe was very good too. But for these, good storage is especially critical, and I’ve had hit and miss with auction bottles for 1997 German Riesling due to storage / cooked bottles.

bryant, colgin, dv maya.

Austrian Rieslings are very good too. Have had excellent bottles of F X Pichler from 1997.

Agree! Lots of examples from back in the day, but I don’t have recent experience.

Austrian Rieslings are very good too.

Prager’s Achleiten and Freie Weingartner Wachau Singerreidel have been great recently. Brundlmayer’s Gruner Veltliner Alte Reben has also been excellent

Montelena, DV, Mondavi reserve, Beringer PR worth holding

If you can find, the 1997 Phelps Insignia was wonderful when I opened it last (about 2 years ago). I have a magnum left and trying to find the right occasion to open.

Thanks a lot for the info. [cheers.gif]

it’s not the same thing, but I found a 1997 Joseph Phelps Napa Valley Cab on an auction site

sometimes there are some sleepers on Chicago Wine Co’s auctions, and in general the auctions are not typically watched by as many people as the ones listed above. Benchmark has an auction site associated with it as well: Brentwood Wine. I’ve only ever looked through their auctions once though.

also, I recently had a 97 Pergole Torte and it was still really wound up. needed more time but potential for aging is definitely there.

Any body have any experience with Delas Freres Hermitage Marquis De La Tourette? Or Rotllan Torra Priorat? Both look like great deals at TCWC

Some from my cellar that show well:
1997 Giovanni Corino Barolo Vigna Giachini
1997 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1997 Niepoort Porto Vintage
1997 Fratelli Revello Barolo Vigna Giachini
Anything from Turley that year.