1998 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-Du- Pape

Popped and poured last night with dinner. Over ripe, stewed fruit and licorice, but managed to show a bit of redeeming freshness on the finish. Alcohol is pretty stout by the way I felt after splitting the bottle with my wife over a couple of hours. She liked it, I did not. It’s the same old song and dance with super ripe wines…not for me. FWIW this bottle has been well taken care of and the cork was perfect with no sign of leakage.

David [swearing.gif]

David- Bummer. Sounds like a bad bottle.
Loren- I don’t see this getting any better so give one a try now.

I don’t think so. Maybe bottle variation but too many are showing like this for it to be one bad bottle.

Lot variability? The ones I’ve had have all been good. Probably luck.

to Scott Hollowell. Your avatar screams for the caption “you can’t drink it young enough!”

I’ve had two bottles in the past 6 months, both were great. Guess I was lucky.

Dain

• 1998 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/4/2011)
    From a half. Light garnet color with bricking at the edges; brawny but also elegant, lots of red strawberry, raspberry, but also some blackberry and plum, nose has a hint of EtOH and sweat; palate is a bit alcoholic at first, showing tannins a little overeager at first, transitions to great red fruit with cleaning acidity, leather, some meaty/gamey flavors; finish is light, clean, good residual fruit. This is an excellent wine, slightly improved from last taste, that would be significantly better if the alcohol would integrate better. The wine is maturing and drinking well but not yet at peak. 90-91 (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker