2 Questions about aging rosé

when i first read this i thought “that’s not very modest of you, Gideon!” but then i realized the mistake I’d made. [cheers.gif]

My Rose is predominantly Tempranillo at 85% and Garnacha 15%. It holds quite well. [cheers.gif]

howdy,

Regarding structure, I’ll support acidity and sugar being significant factors in age worthiness. And I’m strongly in the acid camp for dry wines.

My thoughts, not sure about alcohol or tannins. Sure tannins will take time to resolve but that might be a bad thing, it’s not adding to the aging capability. Not sure what to make of alcohol because some very low alcohol wines age for every (German) and high ABV not so much (aussie)

This was exactly one of the bottles I was thinking of. Over 20 years old and held strong for 2 nights. That’s impressive. Great notes.

LOL!

As others noted, Cotat’s roses age well. Another one that really needs ageing is the clos de lambrays rose.

Terrebrune Bandol Rosés: I have been fortunate enough to have had tasted many of these going up to 20 yrs and some of the old ones have been stunning wines. Blindfold someone and let them come up to cellar temp. In most vintages these can go 5 to 7 without even giving a second thought.

It’s supposed to be fully developed when arriving on the markets due to tertiary aroma characteristics that are fully present in the profile of the wine.
But indeed, it can be kept for some time after reaching the market due to its high quality and concentration :ok_hand:

German low-alcohol wines that age for a very long time generally have acidity and/or sugar to be able to do so.
And the high-alcohol Aussie wines that don’t age for a very long time is mainly due to the fact that the rest of what a wine needs to age is simply not there.

The wines generally need to have some of the characteristics stated in my post to be able to age, not all of them.

I like roses at between 4-16 years, but they have to be the right ones. [whistle.gif]

Still, no. It can be kept, of course, but not only does it keep, but it also continues to improve - as do all the Heredia wines. They are not “fully developed” when arriving on the market even though they certainly possess a rather tertiary overall character and they are definitely more developed than, say, young Rioja reds, whites or Rosados. However, I think calling them “fully developed” upon release is incorrect, because that would suggest they wouldn’t develop any further - which definitely is not the case.

Collioure from Traginer

Otto, I have to agree with your comments above. When I read the comment you were responding to above, it didn’t ring true to my experiences. Perhaps I don’t understand what specifically was meant by “… fully developed …”. If that was simply intended to mean the wine exhibits tertiary characteristics at time of release, then I certainly agree. If it meant that the wine was at it’s peak of complexity at time of release (which I’m inferring, given the added note of “… can be kept for some time after reaching market …”), then I would strongly dispute that statement. I can’t imagine someone whose tasted some of the older vintages recently making that claim. They do much more than just “keep/hold” after release; they continue to develop and improve with added time in the cellar.

I’m still slowly rationing down my remaining stash of Y2K and prior vintages of the Rosado. Last year, pulled one of my '95s, and it was absolutely spectacular. Quite frankly, the longer I age them, the less confident I am in predicting the ultimate aging curve. But I am confident that they aren’t at peak at release.

Michael

I buy a case of Cotat’s Chavignol rose and keep three bottles for aging. I haven’t done this for long. Yesterday we had a 2016 and it is coming along well.