2000 Leoville Barton and 2001 Lewelling Wight

I´ve had the 2000 LB only a good 15 years ago - but then it was outstanding.
FWIW I had the 2001 LB 2 weeks ago - and it was very fine, very full bodied and youthful, but also very promising, with excellent balance.

Sounds like you were just unlucky, Jim. The two bottles I’ve had of 00 have both been stunning, if still a bit on the young side. It could be anyone from the shop, to the importer or even the chateau itself - having seen first hand how EP wine is stored just before collection by a négociant’s lorry, nothing would surprise me less. The sad truth is that our shared passion is a lottery.

I’ve had a couple of bottles of the '00 LB in the last couple of years and they have both been fantastic. The first one was at a 2017 tasting with Damian Barton Sartorius here in the Boston area, and the second one was from an order I made from the same event so it is possible (but I’m not entirely sure) that these were stored at the Chateau until recently.

I have had many bottles of this and they are consistently excellent. It’s classic Bordeaux.

Good company. Not a factor.

We agree! I’ve had 2000 LB a half dozen times over the past 4 years or so and it’s a lovely bordeaux. If I could go back in time and pick it up for $550 a case, I’d be backing the truck up. A small truck, but still. Like a Chevy S10 with some stuff already in the back.

Dude, a slick stud Texan lawyer like you - not like the Texas Law Hawk - should class up to a British truck!

I have to admit, the opening scene with a thin athletic dude in a suit running up a hill, at first I thought it was you, but he was moving too quickly . . . . Like me in my youth.

As you might expect, that guy is a polarizing figure in the Fort Worth criminal bar. The old guard practitioners think he’s a disgrace. The young attorneys love him. Cops don’t particularly like him because he paints them as largely abusive of people’s rights. But he has the respect of the judges and DA offices because he’s actually a hard working, intelligent, and very successful courtroom lawyer. As you might imagine, most folks on juries think he’s great, and the DA offices are usually over matched and under prepared for DUI cases.

Side note, the Texas State Bar must approve all attorney advertisements before they are published/aired. As you can probably tell, they review for content, not taste.

2002 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Amazing 2002. Funk, plum, oak, gravel and minerals. Medium plus finish. Drinking really well. (92 pts.)
Very impressed with a recent tasting of the 2002.

I drank one of my 4 LB’s in '11 and it was way too young. Hopefully your bottle was an exception.