2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

Might be easier to ask if any usually good producers didn’t make great wine in 2001.

If so, they would probably be in Volnay. 2001 Volnays did not have a good reputation but the only ones I bought (d’Angerville Clos du Ducs) have turned out better than I thought they would and are excellent.

Yes, wasn’t there hail in 2001 in Volnay?

It’s why I’m looking at Nuits rather than CdB.
Thanks for great replies so far; I figured we would probably be rounding up the usual suspects.

Lafarge made fantastic 01s which should be fully mature by now.

I have a couple of these, Nick,
Have you opened one recently? Is it showing well? I’ve been thinking that they may need more time.

Alan - I’m available for that dinner with William Kelly…

Many good ones obviously but the first two that sprang to mind were:

2001 Mugnier Musigny was one of my epiphany wines.

2001 Lambrays has always been delicious.

Yes, but the OP specified CdN

But, your post didn’t, at least as I understood it.

I think the greatness of 2001 rests not only in its overall quality, but in the fact the wines showed at release a lot of nuance normally reserved for maturity- and in many cases have continued to do so. It is a perfect type of vintage for many of us- harmonious and complex wines with very generous drinking windows.

But as for “really killed it”- I take that to mean who made wines that would really stand out as incredible in a lineup with wines from other top vintages as well as 2001s- true standouts that you remember for the rest of your life.

I am hard pressed to think of a higher end 2001 that has disappointed, but in terms of “really killed it”- there are just three wines that come immediately to mind as among the finest vintages ever for those respective wines from their respective domaines. While 2001 is a gorgeous and harmonious vintage, I rarely think of it as legendary save for these three gems,

1. 2001 DRC Romanee St. Vivant
  2. 2001 Grivot Richebourg
  3. 2001 Roumier Charmes-Chambertin

Dujac Clos St. Denis and Clos de la Roche might belong on that list as well, but I have only had them once at release- and so cannot claim so based on personal experience. DRC Echezeaux comes really, really close.

For me too on 01 Mugnier Musigny :slight_smile:

It was implicit based on the thread title [pillow-fight.gif]

As no-one mentioned them - Clos du Tart - except for 05, may favourite of their wines from that decade

Yes had one last year. For my taste they were drinking well.

Nice
Haven’t had one in a while [cheers.gif]

Rousseau Beze is the best wine I have tasted from 2001 with Rousseau CSJ not far behind. The Beze is a sensational wine.

Hi Bill,
“[2001]…Clos du Tart - except for 05, may favourite of their wines from that decade”

• what do you make of Clos de Tart’s 2008?
    Nigel

Hi Nigel
Aromatically lovely and generally better than 07 - but that’s my experience 7 years ago - I’ve not tasted it since…

Bill,
Do post your mpressions when you get to re-try it. For me, this wine has a lightnes and elegance that bucked the usual late-picked, rather jammy Clos de Tart profile I found in a vertical with their winemaker at the time (2016]. Interestingly he had a soft spot for the 2008 too…