2001 Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Reservee

I am a gigantic fan of Charvin, but I have a hard time comparing him to Pegau (which I also love). The wines are completely different in style. Charvin, is much more of a northern parcel CdP than Pegau. I’m happy to have drunk a lot of both in both vintages.

Jonathan,

I won´t compare them. I just want to say I love Charvin more.

I would as soon say I liked A Streetcar Named Desire more than the Importance of Being Earnest or vice versa.

Completely agree. CdPs can be absolutely magnificent. I’ve had very few that have been monolithic or uninspiring.

Interesting point between '00 and '01 Pegau. Gerhard is certainly a fully qualified expert, but to me the 2000 is the more mature wine and to drink sooner. I would NOT hold it until the mid to late 2020s, maybe not even until 2020. IMO the '01 is starting to drink well, but has longer to go.

FYI, I haven’t had the 2004 for a while, one of those wonderful under the radar vintages like 1994 and 1999. I need to pop one because if it’s starting to drink, I’m ready.

Dan Kravitz

And if it’s ready to drink, I’m starting!

Any thoughts on window for 2000 in Mag? That’s my lone remaining 2000. Time to buy some sushi [snort.gif] and drink it?

I like to call 2004 the stealth vintage. Hit the year after the much hyped 2003 and most were initially underwhelmed.

No more. I find this right up there with 2000 and 2001.

Still have 44 bottles and drink one about once a month. Ready for prime time.

Great wine for sure…4 me it’s more of a classic style which I love, whereas '00 is freaky exotic(again, which I love)

The 2000 is accessable, luxuriant, chewy and full of ripe fruit, but not very developed regarding tertiary nuances (here the 2001 showes more of that kind, so I absolutely don´t think 2000 will last shorter than 2001).
Of course it depends on shipping and storage over the last 13 years … but I wouldn´t call 2000 “fully mature”.

A Mag (no experience with it) should still be more youthful, but nevertheless be enjoyable.
(Seriously, for Sushi I would pick other options to drink … )

For me 2001 has until now been too young. Just got one from the cellar to try tonight with sushi (it is a joke, Gerhard, referring to Parkers pairing magnum Chateauneuf with sushi). Or rather roast duck with pommes sardalaise. The nose is spectacular. Reminds me why I startet to buy 1998 Pegau in 2000. Don is spot on. Thanks for the note.
Is 2006 also under the radar or has this vintage just never been interesting?
I am in the 2001 camp btw.
Fwiw the 2001 Cuvee Laurence is the best I have tasted

2006 is a very fine Pegau - but somewhat overlooked (kept prices down) due to the following 2007 - I see it on the same level as the 2004, but with a different texture, slightly sweeter broader mouthfeel … really long …

Opened my first bottle of the 04. Very, very glad to have a case of this…

From CellarTracker:

"First bottle of the case. If this was a car, it’d be a 90s Jag–finicky, frustrating, powerful, and damn beautiful in the distance.

Plum, red berry and liqueur aromas almost shockingly apparent on the very hot nose, with smoke, barnyard, hay/straw, blueberry, and burnt sugar underneath. Totally coating on the palate yet finishing perfectly clean.

A fascinating wine, and I’m curious to see variation between the bottles. Still youthful, but both the stuffing and clarity are there to last for many, many years. Just fun to drink. If I had to rate, 93-94, with the potential to jump to 96 if the heat softens in time."

I will have to take your word on it on the 2004s. I’m a long-time fan of Pegau but stopped buying after 4 bottles of the 2004 were too bretty to drink.

All of our 2001s have been excellent and we still have 2001 and 2003s in the cellar. But when the price rose to $70+ having wines you can’t drink caused me to move on to other wineries.

It seems to list around the same as VT but I feel like I see Pegau discounted more. Is that accurate?

Any updates on 2011? Seems well priced

I have the last of my 98s on tap for tonight. No wine frustrates me more than Pegau; when it is good it is a thing of beauty. It so often isn’t

Commercial post as most of you know… I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

In mag, the 2000 is ready to go, but no problem holding it 5+ years.

IMO 2004 is a fine vintage, a sleeper in the spirit of '94 and '99. It is approachable today, but the balance will give it long life, probably peak about 2020 and no problem (assuming correct provenance and storage) holding it another five years after that.

I have to disagree with Gerhard on 2006. It’s lovely now, an underrated vintage, but IMO not hardly on the level of 2004. It is certainly easier to drink today.

2011 is a good and accessible vintage. It does not have the power or intensity of great Pegau, but IMO is much better than 2008. It reminds me of 2006 and should turn out as well. I started drinking 2011 on cold evenings last winter with comfort food and it is right there right now. I think it’s starting to show up in restaurants at sane prices.

Dan Kravitz

The 98 was beautiful

Great thread! 01 CDP (and 00 BDX) are fully to blame for the size of my cellar and all the wonderful (and not so wonderful) expression of my wine hobby/obsession. Pegau especially. Great to hear how they are doing since I have tried to save a couple of bottle for my vintage 01 twins…

Thanks to all for the feedback on 2000 in mag. And thanks for indulging me in the hoary old sushi joke.