2002 Léoville Barton

Any general thoughts on how 2002 Bordeaux (esp. left bank) are showing today and their overall quality, aging curve and life expectancy? Any other standout '02s?

I have one lone 2002. A La Mission Haut-Brion. I have no idea when to open it so I am curious as well.

As Ian says, there are lots of good Left Bank 2002s - the vintage was underrated at release, so very cheap, and in many cases the prices have not caught up since. In my experience the lesser names have been better than the big guns. I finished most of mine by last year, but these should still be good:

St.Julien
Branaire, Saint Pierre

Pauillac
Armailhac, GPL, HBL, Haut-Batailley

Margaux
Marquis de Terme, Boyd, Prieure-L

Ones to avoid are Léo-Poyferré, Lynch-Bages, Gruaud, Talbot, Lagrange, Giscours and I have my doubts about Montrose (tough and brooding so far).

I’m not that confident that they will be as long-lasting as the top vintages, which is understandable. The ones to avoid often suffer from hollow middle sections but also, I suspect, from a liberal use of pesticides - Talbot and Lagrange, for example, have very odd tastes which vary from one bottle to another.

I found the L-P to be pretty good relatively early in its career. I would add Calon Segur to the list of those not to chase.

What does Xmas cake taste like? I googled images of it and it looks strange.

Nice list, Julian. The Boyd-Cantenac is indeed a wine with great character, finesse, purity and balance. Pure understatement. And a few other especially fine 2002 Margaux spring to my mind: Lascombes, D’Issan and Brane-Cantenac.
BTW, as for Pomerol, the 2002 L’Eglise-Clinet is absolutely lovely! :slight_smile:

Bumping this – opened a bottle of '02 LB a couple nights ago and it far exceeded my expectations, really overdelivered. OP’s note that it was “surprisingly opulent” was spot on. One hell of a first Bordeaux for 2020!

Anyone have 01 lately?

2001 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (11/23/2019)
Decanted for two the three hours, this was classical left-bank Bordeaux from the first sip. Restrained fruit, cedar, earthy, leather and lingering wood spice filled up the palate, and led to a deeply mineral finish with firm but not dry tannin. On the doorstep of full maturity, but not yet through the portal, this is well worth drinking now, but the next three to five years could be pivotal.