2004 Domaine Leroy ( Declassified) Vosne-Romanee revisited

I got to try the whole line of 04s several times. They were, at best, all over the map and seldom if ever in the prime real estate. I agree with Bill about the pyrazines not being the main issue (Jeremy, forgive me if I’m wrong, but I feel like you weren’t particularly sensitive to GMs either way?).

I remember one wine, I think the VR, that went from acceptable and interesting to a cloudy mess in a matter of a couple of pours. There were many better ways to spend $200 on a bottle at that time. IMO.

Hi Jim,

I am sensitive to GM and can pick an '04 from a mile off now, but in low doses it doesn’t bother me. I certainly didn’t pick the GM’s from cask (neither did anyone else as far as I’m aware).

I got to taste all of the 2004 Leroy wines from cask before the decision was made to blend. I thought their '04’s were outstanding from cask, as good as DRC’s, and I reckon DRC’s '04’s are the wines of the vintage for mine. I’ll try and dig up my notes on the '04 Leroys and post here.

Cheers
Jeremy

Here are my notes from barrel.

2004 Pommard Les Vignots: A little reduced, smoked meats with sweet plummy fruit. The acidity is high and wood tannin quite evident.

2004 Vosne-Romanee “Les Genaivrieres”: Spicy, sweet and fragrant. Creamy mouthfeel with fine grained tannin.

2004 Savigny-Les-Beaune “Les Narbantons”: Intense raspberries with a floral infusion on the nose. Some spice and a little earth in the mouth and a nice taught frame from which to develop.

2004 Nuits-Saint-Georges “Les Boudots”: A wine of impeccable balance, fruit characters were caught in that area just between sweet and savoury and at the core was a nice intense blast of liqueur Cherry.

2004 Vosne-Romanee “Les Beaux Monts”: Asian spice with dense dark fruits and a hint of white flower. Very concentrated with perfect balance and a very long, sweet finish.

2004 Corton-Renardes: Sour cherry fruits and oak which is a little obvious at this stage. The fruit character seems a little confected but the acidity is good.

2004 Romanee-Saint-Vivant: Stunning balance! Big, sweet extract, explosive red fruits, lacey texture, a touch of mineral and awesome length.

2004 Richebourg: Dark, brooding fruits. The spicy oak has yet to fully soak in and there are a lot of powerful, meaty flavours. This is a wine of huge concentration and length.

2004 Clos de Vougeot: Dense blueberry/blackberry fruit. Quite muscular with chewy tannins and a very long finish. Structured to age for a very long time.

2004 Latricieres Chambertin: Very meaty aromas with dark fruits and a hint of mint. Complex in the mouth with layers of gorgeous dark fruits.

2004 Chambertin: One of the most hedonistic wines I have ever tasted from cask. Massive, dark and brooding with concentrated fruits intermingled with earth and smoky sausage flavours. Whilst this is a wine of immense power it still remains graceful and poised.

Thanks Jeremy for the notes. You must be one of the few individuals who has individual cask notes!!!

Yes, DRC is superb in 2004.

It’s fascinating what often happened between barrel and bottle with 04, especially at Leroy. I’ve had some good ones, though virtually nothing I would repurchase now outside of perhaps Groffier Bonnes Mares.

Declassified for life

I had my share of declassified Barolos and pinos from Burgundy and i just have to say that if you know what you’re looking for the you are in for a treat