2004 vintage recommendation

Donnhoff and Astralis. I haven’t had a 2004 Barolo yet but my guess is that for my palate I would find them undrinkably tannic and tight.

A really good Sauternes, and an affordable Yquem.

Marcus, it was meant to be funny. Cheers Mike

Mike, I picked the humour mate!

Rama, if you’re thinking Champagne, better than the Dom IMO, I’d go for 2004 Pol Roger Champagne Brut Rosé (I have a review on CT, if you’re interested).

Cheers, Howard

But RP only scored it 92 points. [wink.gif]

Found the CT review, sounds great.

Looks like the 2004 Pegau Reservee has quite a following as well. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

2004 is quite a great year for many Napa Cabs, many are in such a great place right now at a decade old.

the Rhone
Champagne
Bordeaux (a youngish 1983/1978??)

I’d stay away from Barolo…just too young.

What does your wife like to drink? [new-here.gif]

She’s a fan of bubbles and pinots.

Oh, hell. Sell everything you must and buy 2004 Monfortino.

But if you don’t go that route, stock up on '04 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato. Great vintage of a great wine, will last 20+ years, and readily available around $100-$120 per.

Barolo and Barbaresco are the best answers, but what is said about relative immaturity is also true. 2004 Sandrone Cannubi Boschis should do the trick for you. Top-drawer, great-vintage Barolo that will drink well now with some air time. Otherwise, I might go with a 2004 Brunello or a 100% Sangiovese Chianti Classico like Felsina Rancia Riserva. I really do not think that any wine region except Spain can hold a candle to Italy for the 2004 vintage, but the best 2004 Spanish wines that are ready to drink are likely to be the “internationally styled” stuff.

+1. Have especially enjoyed Corison and Kapcsandy from this vintage.

So, I missed the part about also wanting something to drink soon. The perils of late-night forum surfing.

I opened the 2004 Ca Rome Barbaresco Sori Rio Sordo on sun night. Drinking pretty well right now. You can do far worse.