2005 Shafer Hillside Select - Mailer - Merged

I just got a letter in the mail today from Shafer congratulating on making the list…I really don’t remember signing up! Anyway, I’m tempted to open a bottle tonight and celebrate my throwing the mailer in the trash…this is an easy pass.

If I did decide to buy a Shafer I can get it for 25% off the winery price.

I can’t find it here for that price…but did just find it for $220 locally, which would be cheaper than direct + shipping…makes that decision easy…not that I plan on buying locally either…LOL but might get one bottle next year.

Got you covered next year Kevin…

Thanks Fred. Almost called you late Sat night…but decided not to rub it in…LOL

Didn’t see the game. Was in Napa at Bottega. Check out the notes. Had some great cabs.

Same here. Don’t think I’ll be buying, but I set the mailer aside to think about it for a minute.

I just got an offering for this in the mail today stating that I have been moved from the waiting list to the mailing list. Have to buy at least one bottle before Feb 12.
Hmm 1 bottle of HSS or 10 bottles of Carlisle from today’s mailer… easy decision I think.

I suspect for wines north of $200, the “wait” lists are getting mighty small.

No hating here. I like SHS, but in my mind the all-mighty cut-off is still $100-$125, that is: $100-$125 is the max that anyone should ever pay for a great and amazing cabernet. Anything above that is the ‘cachet’ added premium, which I will have no part of. I hate cachet added. I know there are those out there that buy Hundred Acres, Abreu et al, and that’s all fine and dandy, and I also know the following for these is strong (I would not refuse a glass or 3 if offered…)

Sure, who would not buy/drink Insignia for $75/$85? I did, all the time, but I have not purchased any since the move up. The last SHS I purchased was the 2002 and I sold them all off to friends after I tasted it. Paying $190 and just liking it does not compute in my mind. Hell, I can get that type of love in the $45-$65 range. Its all been said before, but sometimes just reiterating to makes me feel good, and isn’t that what it’s all about? [basic-smile.gif]

Received my offer today as well. Way too steep for me. Pass.

I’m seeing this wine all over Chicago for $199

Was the offer email or regular USPS ? thanks, Tom

USPS

Got my offer today too

I just noticed the 05 Shafer Hillside on the wine list at my Country Club. It is listed for $185.00. The profit we charge on bottles is $25.00 so we paid $160 a bottle for the wine from Southern W & S.
They only received 6 bottles with most already gone.

I just received my “congratulations” welcome to the mailing list letter. Looks like this is at least the 2nd wave of new additions to the list. I’m pondering a couple of bottles but am inclined to pass.

Greg - where have you seen it?